Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, an AVS Forum exclusive!

I have to state upfront that this is very very early information, and subject to change, but everyone is restless for a decent DVI switch, so on with our plans.

The project has already started, and we estimate an early summer ship date.

Features:

--The switch will have 5 DVI inputs, 1 DVI output.

--HDCP capable

--It will switch digital audio, SPDIF and Toslink, with the capability of audio breakaway.

--As with all the Zektor products, IR control with existing codes and IR learning from your remote.

--RS-232 optional via the Z-slot (allows for future comm. options)

--Chassis will be similar to the HDS4.2 (machined face, buttons, 1U rack mount ears optional)

I'm sure that every one of you would volunteer for beta testing right now, but hold that thought. I will repost when we get that far.

No estimates on price yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any pricing estimate? The gefen is nice (plus the included cables) but I'm hoping for a cheaper solution for my 4 potential DVI sources.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dartinbout
Any pricing estimate? The gefen is nice (plus the included cables) but I'm hoping for a cheaper solution for my 4 potential DVI sources.
I think in your elation you forgot how to read.;)

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...Like turt said. :)

On the cables, is the preference to have DVI cables included, or pay a lower price for the switch and find your own cables?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Buy our own cables.

Any possibility of doing a hybrid - say 3 component, 2 dvi? There may not be enough demand for something like that, but I would be interested.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, we though about hybrids. Problem is one guy want 2D(DVI)+3C(component), next guy want 3D+2C, next guys wants cross conversion built in, etc. Too many combinations.

That's not to say 'no way', just 'not yet'. We need a DVI only switch first.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Bill,

Will all ports be HDCP-compatible? On the Gefen thread it was mentioned that on their 2-port switcher only one port had HDCP.

jack

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the plan. All ports should be HDCP.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Regarding cables: It would be a good idea to include one DVI-DVI cable so that buyers with an existing DVI device and display will generally be able to splice in the switch immediately after taking it out of the box. No more than that, though.

Regarding hybrid switches: I think it would be a fine idea to offer a hybrid HDMI/DVI unit. Three DVI-HDCP plus two HDMI ports, or vice versa.

A bit outside the scope of the proposed design, but here's my ideal switch:

* Input 1: DVI-HDCP; Toslink & coax SPDIF

* Input 2: DVI-HDCP; Toslink & coax SPDIF

* Input 3: DVI-HDCP; Toslink & coax SPDIF

* Input 4: HDMI

* Input 5: HDMI

* Monitor out: DVI-HDCP; Toslink + coax SPDIF (both driven)

With your IR-switching technology, I'd buy that product in a heartbeat.

-T.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well, as long as we are all asking for what we want, I might as well throw in my request for a 6x8 DVI/SPDIF matrix switch with HDCP support. Also, the ability to monitor the same source from more than one output would be nice.

DanW

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dartinbout
Easy question to answer.

Quoting from the original post:

"No estimates on price yet."

So, there's the answer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Bill,

This looks like an incredible switch! I really wish that this would have come out earlier. I've been through it all...Pacific Cable's non-HDCP compliant switcher, fighting with Beach Audio regarding the sale of the discontinued wired remote Gefen EXT-HD241 switcher, before finally receiving my Gefen 4x1 IR remote switcher last week. I don't have any IR remote issues with the Gefen, but I have heard that they are working on that. It looks strange and awkward, but IT WORKS! As for the DVI cables, I would agree to offer them as an option as I currently have 4 unused and unopened Gefen DVI cables.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If I had to choose, I would prefer that you made your inputs and outputs optical S/PDIF (toslink), rather than coax. My real preference though would be that you would take either for of each of the inputs, and convert any inputs as necessary to provide both out also. Along the same lines as what this ( http://www.inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm ) switch does.

DanW

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dan, the unit will take either toslink or coax for the audio and output it to either a coax or toslink output. Take a look at zektor's other units and you will see what they do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Put in my vote for having two outputs, rather than just one. Some people, myself included, are driving two different HD sets from their collection of DVI inputs. In the absence of two outputs I would need to additionally purchase a DVI splitter (distribution amplifier), such as from Gefen.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are two issues with dual outputs:

1) rear panel 'real estate' - 5 in and 1 out, plus digital audio is really pushing it, but it should all fit. Next step would be a 2U (3.5") high chassis, but I would like to avoid that.

2)HDCP - In order to provide HDCP on both outputs, we would have to become an HDCP keyholder, so that we could decrypt data inside our switch. The alternative is to provide HDCP on one port only, and the other would be scrambled should HDCP encrypted data come through. There is a financial burden for doing this, and that is why when you see an HDCP compliant distro amp, it costs more.

We considered all this to make a decision between 4in/2out vs. 5in/1out. Maybe in the future. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm only looking for one output, (4 inputs) but would like to see a switch that would switch the DVI (HDCP compliant) and analog (L-R) audio simultaneously - or a way to sync the DVI switch with a separate audio switch. Need to keep the switching straightforward to operate.

I realize that the forthcoming HDVI will include the audio, but I'll likely have a mix of equipment interfaces for years.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Paul

We considered all this to make a decision between 4in/2out vs. 5in/1out. Maybe in the future. :)
For what its worth, I prefer the 5 in 1 out to the 4 in 2 out.

DanW

·
Registered
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BenSanford
I'm only looking for one output, (4 inputs) but would like to see a switch that would switch the DVI (HDCP compliant) and analog (L-R) audio simultaneously - or a way to sync the DVI switch with a separate audio switch. Need to keep the switching straightforward to operate.

I realize that the forthcoming HDVI will include the audio, but I'll likely have a mix of equipment interfaces for years.
If both switches were IR controlable, you could use a remote like the pronto to switch both with the press of a single button.

DanW

·
Registered
221 Posts
So is this 5x1 DVI switch gonna be available as a PowerBuy for AVS members?? I found the Zektor website and they are listing the switch to be out in September. It looks to be a great piece of hardware, though a little expensive.

Thanks,

JT

Zektor 5x1 DVI Switch

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.