AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my A2. When I try to watch 24 (Fox), sometimes it will pop up a message that it is downgrading the video output to 480P.

I have this hooked up HDMI to my Sammy receiver which outputs via HDMI to my TV. I haven't noticed this on other DVD or HD-DVD's. But I will say that some of the DVD's don't look as good as my old upscaling DVD player.

Does anyone know if Fox is using some copy protection or is there just a glitch in my setup?

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrochaos /forum/post/12946014

I am having a problem with my A2. When I try to watch 24 (Fox), sometimes it will pop up a message that it is downgrading the video output to 480P.

I have this hooked up HDMI to my Sammy receiver which outputs via HDMI to my TV. I haven't noticed this on other DVD or HD-DVD's. But I will say that some of the DVD's don't look as good as my old upscaling DVD player.

Does anyone know if Fox is using some copy protection or is there just a glitch in my setup?

Sounds like a glitch with the HDMI handshake between your components.

Try plugging your player directly to the TV and see if the problem appears.

Then check for firmware updates for each device.

Could also be a HDMI cable quality/length problem. You don't need super expensive cables, but longer cable runs might run into problems on some equipment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm noticing that my upscaled DVD are looking better than the last few HD-DVD movies I've watched.

I rented Flags of our Fathers last night. It sounded great, but looked worse than HD Sat channels.

So I popped in the other movie I rented, Nightwatch. Holy crap! It upscaled and looked better than most of the HD-DVD's I've seen recently. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

I've also had a few of my movies not upscale saying that they have been downgraded to 480P. I don't have the 2.8 firmware, I'm still on 2.7

My TV does not support 1080p. I believe 720P is the native and I watch a lot of stuff in 1080i.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the disc is not a copy, they are originals from Netflix.

I don't think it's the cables. The are decent quality from Monoprice, no longer than 6ft.

Next time it happens, I'll try shutting off the TV and receiver to see what happens.

·
Registered
751 Posts

Quote:

There is a flag on certain SD-DVDs that result in this message on the A2.

It seems pretty random as to which ones have it.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrochaos /forum/post/13014539

I'm noticing that my upscaled DVD are looking better than the last few HD-DVD movies I've watched.

I rented Flags of our Fathers last night. It sounded great, but looked worse than HD Sat channels.

So I popped in the other movie I rented, Nightwatch. Holy crap! It upscaled and looked better than most of the HD-DVD's I've seen recently. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

I've also had a few of my movies not upscale saying that they have been downgraded to 480P. I don't have the 2.8 firmware, I'm still on 2.7

My TV does not support 1080p. I believe 720P is the native and I watch a lot of stuff in 1080i.

There's definitely something wrong in your setup or hardware. Flags looks spectacular, and beats out HD Sat anytime.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez /forum/post/13016721

There's definitely something wrong in your setup or hardware. Flags looks spectacular, and beats out HD Sat anytime.

What settings should I give to you to help me figure out if they are optimal? I'll also download the upgrade tonight

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:

where does the downrez message originate from; when u hit the players display button or somewhere else, ie from the tv or receiver?

if u havent already, go into player setup and make sure its set for 720p or 1080i.

like the other guy said, connect the player directly to tv and see if the problem is still there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts