AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a HK AVR235 running Klipsch speakers/sub. At the current price of the A3 players I have one on hold at a local BB. Question is if I am going to get decent sound with the A3 or should I possibly jump to the A30. I know it is an old AVR but I love it and can't stand to just chuck it in the trash.

The HK AVR235 only has Coaxial and Optical in for sound no HDMI ins whatsoever.

Basically I would like to know if the A30 will sound any better with my current setup then the A3 will sound. I am not looking for future proofing at the moment, but I am guessing thats the only benefit the A30 will have but this is why I am asking.

BTW it is all hooked up to a 34" 1080i CRT.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
You would do best by getting a player with analog audio outs. An A1 or XA1 would be great for you. I never had one single problem with my XA1. It is a rock, a great upconverter, and has the analog outs. There are plenty for sale here and on eBay.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
You don't need the A30, you need the A35 which has both analog outs and the ability to stream the advanced formats to an HDMI 1.3 receiver (future-proofing).

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInPa /forum/post/12920905

So use the analog outs into the 6ch (which I am guessing is 5.1) input on the AVR correct???

Yes..and you can split the surrounds with a "Y" cable to get 7.1. Yes, the side and back surrounds will get the same feed, but its been working great for me untill my marantz 7002 arrives.(HDMI)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thing is I have the A3 on hold and I think the only other player I would be willing to spend money on would be the A30 which I think also adds 1080p. Although I don't need the 1080p I will soon enough.

I am the type that needs to get stuff done right away. So its kinda old between two players.

Thanks for the help so far!

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
If you insist on getting one of the buggy third generations and want to use analog outs then you have to get the A35.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really...wasn't aware that they were buggy, guess I better do some research before going and picking one of these things up. I thought only the BD machines were plagued.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInPa /forum/post/12922965

Really...wasn't aware that they were buggy, guess I better do some research before going and picking one of these things up. I thought only the BD machines were plagued.

Check the threads where people are tired of the error codes. I had an A3 for exactly two hours. What a piece of crap. It error coded on a perfectly good disc which plays fine in both and XA1 and three XA2s. I got rid of that POS quick. And the A30 A35 do not deinterlace properly. OK for you now, but later you will regret it when you get that 1080p TV. And any decent TV will deinterlace the output of the A1 or XA1.

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut /forum/post/12924835

Check the threads where people are tired of the error codes. I had an A3 for exactly two hours. What a piece of crap. It error coded on a perfectly good disc which plays fine in both and XA1 and three XA2s. I got rid of that POS quick. And the A30 A35 do not deinterlace properly. OK for you now, but later you will regret it when you get that 1080p TV. And any decent TV will deinterlace the output of the A1 or XA1.

Funny, I have had my A3 since monday night, and I've probably put 30 discs in it so far with not a glitch at all. I haven't even updated the firmware yet. It upscales superbly, and has had not a single hiccup with anything, even a couple burned discs. I'm thinking there must have been something wrong with your A3.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to confirm that I use the XA1 with an H/K AVR140 and it works beautifully via the 5.1 analogue inputs, happily blasting out TrueHD. I spent a lot of time reading through the huge 'Answers to HD-A1 and HD-XA1 Audio Questions" thread on this forum (sorry cannot post a direct link as I need more than 3 posts to do so) and was able to apply the essential 10dB subwoofer boost in the manual settings menu page (from the menu select 6-CHANNEL INPUT as the source, then tweak the setting).

Well worth getting a player with 5.1 outputs if you can get one, just for the TrueHD if nothing else. And the XA1 upscales brilliantly - I watched The French Connection for the first time in ages on DVD and the picture quality was stunning.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info guys, but I got such a great deal on an A3 I couldn't pass it up. My thought process is basically if HD DVD does come out on top the a3 will go to the living room with the sharp aquos 32" 720p with no surround sound and get a upgraded HD DVD player for the basement with all the bells and whistles for the basement where I have all my toys.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I saw the deal you got on another thread. Great for you and enjoy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts