AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at picking up an A35 or an A30. I am confused regarding the A30 and bitstreaming so that my receiver can decompress/decode/etc. Yes I've searched and found earlier threads that make it clear the A30 did not bitstream. However I did find a few posts about firmware updates and bitstreaming for the A30 that were confusing.

So instead of assuming I wanted to ask directly.

Do the newer firmware updates, like 4.0, for the A30 allow bitstreaming via hdmi?

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yes, it gets confusing especially when you read about the hardware level and the chipset used in the A30 is not suppose to support the advanced codecs at the hardware-bitstream level. Firwmare can do a lot of course but unless we're talking PS3 and Cell CPU's, firmware ain't gonna overcome hardware physical limitations no matter how great the firmware is or isn't.

I think I've found an A35 locally for reasonable price. I may not need to worry about this when its all said and done.

Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
As a small side note to this, no firmware update will enable the PS3 to bitstream either. I looked a bit here before posting but I couldn't find the thread on the Sony boards, however I have read a couple posts now the officially stated there will never be a firmware release enabling bitstream capability on the PS3. The PS3's HDMI chipset simply cannot do it.

I'll keep looking for the threads and reply back if I can find them...it was a few months ago.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It at least makes sense for the PS3. The PS3 is a computer. It does all its work internally with its Cell CPU and sends the result out. The "result" is both audio and video. The PS3 was not and is not designed to be able to bitstream. Being able to bitstream from a PS3 would be inconsistent with its design. Not dissing PS3's. They are amazing.

However for stuff like the A30 its design could have allowed bitstreaming if they would have used chips that may have cost Toshiba what, 5 cents more?

It is odd on the blu-ray side the opposite implementation is the case and a source of constant misunderstanding and bitching. The entry level machines are bitstream mostly, maybe internally decode core audio codecs. Its the higher priced machines that do the decoding internally.

The "war" between hd-dvd players and blu-ray players was more than which looked better, sounded better, etc. It was also about things like bitstream vs. decode internally, etc.

It seems backasswards that the entry level hd-dvd players decode everything, the more expensive hd-dvd players pass the signal unencoded, uncompressed, to the receiver. They added the expense of licensing and technology to what were suppose to be the cheaper players? How's that?

So far I've struck out on the A30. It arrived, broken, springs or something popped off drawer cover so it is permanently open and the A30 wasn't protected so the inside of the box gouged the front bezel. Dang it....

·
Registered
226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 /forum/post/15506115

So far I've struck out on the A30. It arrived, broken, springs or something popped off drawer cover so it is permanently open and the A30 wasn't protected so the inside of the box gouged the front bezel. Dang it....

If you plan to get rid of it, I'm interested in buying the motherboard ..

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its going back to the seller. I can ask him if he wants to contact you. He is original registered owner so I think he may run it through Toshiba.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've asked the seller if he wants me to give you his email. Won't unless he says its ok.

·
Registered
221 Posts
There is a very chap over on the UK AV Forums who has cracked the bios for the A3/A30/A35. He has it so that if you have the European versions of these decks you can go region free and get all the US discs for very cheap. But if you don't need that, He's also got it so that you can add some (not all) bitstreaming to the A30. It works, or so I've been told. Ii am going to try it this weekend I think.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.