AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have to ask those of you with great knowledge and past experience, as far as purchasing a brand new subwoofer, shipped to your door, for a total cost of $650, can this subwoofer be beat at a price-to-performance battle?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk02bird /forum/post/15573965

I just have to ask those of you with great knowledge and past experience, as far as purchasing a brand new subwoofer, shipped to your door, for a total cost of $650, can this subwoofer be beat at a price-to-performance battle?

I came mighty close to ordering one of those. There are a bunch of really good ones in that general price range. The SVS PB or PC 12 NSD (a little cheaper), the AV123 MFW 15 for a little bit more (but has a much better finish on it). Both are available, right now (as opposed to 4 weeks from eD).

While, I've had no experience with SVS, their reputation is great. Their ratings even better.

I have had experience with AV123 as I use their Rocket speakers. Great sounding, great looking, great customer service. I expect the same out of their subw since I just ordered an MFW 15 from them. That one had some initial "teething" pains, but is rated very highly here......
http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11

Craigsub has kind of been something of the defacto standard of testing subs. You'll find people who have argued with him. But, no one has come close to bringing useable rankings and ratings that's this comprehensive.

Oh yeah, he likes the A5 as well.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The MFW is just a little bit more? The eD ships free. In satin black (which is sold out right now) The MFW-15 is $699+$150 shipping, which makes it $199 more. I'd hardly call that a little. If you want a veneer (only thing in stock right now) then you're talking $799 +150 shipping which is $299 more.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
MFW15 does not have much better finish if its satin black since a5-350 comes with free matte black finish. Veneers yah but extra cost for that. SVS PB 12 NSD is not a little cheaper, its a little more expensive after you add the shipping, while the cylinder one is. But I doubt they have cought up to a5 in performance. Only alternatives I'd consider at that price are b-stock mfw15 or Epik Knight (although Epik is not shipping for at least a month).

·
Registered
639 Posts
My MFW-15 was 630 shipped in satin black....So ya that beats it.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Give Kyle a jingle over at AV123 (303) 543-7500 x 304. Tell him "graphicguy" referred you. I think he might surprise you regarding what an MFW 15 can be bought for.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
theelviscerator, that is a good deal that you got, however, this is not what is officially offered to the public for a new subwoofer. I do not know if you bought a b-stock, which is not technically brand new, or if you just got one hell of a deal. I called AV123 earlier and spoke with a gentlemen that informed me they currently only have 1 b-stock mfw 15 in one of the "special" finishes. With the 20% discount it was $639 plus $130 shipping for a total of $769. This is quite a bit more than the $650 total.

graphicguy, thanks for the tip, I might give them another call.

thank you to everyone for the input, but so far I feel that majority of you feel that if the A5-350 is not the winner, its one heck of a competitor.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
It is the winner if mfw doesn't work out, since Epik is not shipping right now and the rest are not likely to be as good for the money. a5-350 used to sell for $700 in an ugly rough finish, now its $650 in matte black, not much to complain about.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
blk.....no problem. Glad to help.

Don't get caught up in paralysis by analysis. You'll make yourself crazy.

So, the decision process I went through.....

I was happy with my set up AV123 Rockets and a HSU VFT3. Until....

A couple of weeks ago, the VTF3 bit the dust (surround material deteriorated, separating from the speaker, itself). So, I'm looking at subs again. Going through thread upon thread, looking at tests and rankings, deciding whether to go ID again, or going brick and mortar store. I looked at Epik (who knows if or when they'll start making them again....all kinds of rumors they may be going out of business). HSU wasn't very kind to me via my issue with their sub (surprising, given I was a repeat customer). So, they were crossed off my list.

That left Def Tec Super Cube (brick and mortar store), SVS, AV123 and eD was where I focused, based on ratings, experiences from posters here and elsewhere, pinging AVS member about why they liked their sub from each manufacturer. Super Cube I got to hear. Nice, but not for the price.

SVS has a great rep, and from what I can gather, is rated highly with their customers. I was looking at the PC12 NSD. Form factor would have allowed me some placement flexibility, too (cylinder with small footprint). Could have bought it for about $600, including shipping. It's pretty new in the marketplace. So, not much to research regarding performance. Still, it's made by SVS, and would probably be a good performer. eD's A5 looked promising, too. $650 all in. Not real crazy about the finish, even the free upgraded "matte" black finish. I kind of got used to that "all black" finish from my HSU VTF3. I was never crazy about it, but it did the job. Again, it was highly rated.

Almost pulled the trigger on the eD A5. I was willing to wait (not patiently, though) for a month to have it built.

Still, the MFW15 was at the very top of my list, based mainly on my previous experiences with AV123 (all good), and its very high ratings. But, as some have pointed out, getting it in a nice finish was going to be about $200 more than I wanted to spend. If I was willing to wait, I could have bought a "matte black" MFW15 for less than the eD A5. Or, I could have kept my eyes open for some "B" stock that comes along from time-to-time.

Upon hearing of my dilemma and experiences with HSU, AV123 stepped up for me. While I promised not to divulge what they did, I've got an "A" stock MFW15 coming to me in a very, very nice finish, at a very good price.

Point being, it's hard to make a mistake in that $600-$800 price range for subs. To me, that's the "sweet spot" of the price/performance equation. Unless you put the SVS, the MFW, the eD A5 side by side, and do blind testing (like "craigsub" did), it's likely you're going to be pleased with one or the other. You're also going to get a healthy dose of what you get with those "super subs" that cost 2x, maybe 3x more. Maybe miss a little of this, a little of that, here and there. But, overall you'll get good performance.

If your top concern is price (say within $100, or so), then you'd be hard pressed to do better than the SVS PB 12 NSD, and particularly the SVS PC 12 NSD. Decent looking, too. But, if you don't care about the finish, and want good performance, the eD A5 would be tough to beat.

Personally, I wanted it all....good price, great performance, nice looking. By giving AV123 a shot, I hit all of my points.

As always, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well said Graphicguy.

I started with a bad experience at AV123. Mark S made it right for me. I just received my new A stock MFW-15. After assurances that the sub was tested, it came with the dreaded hum (guess the new amps while in production have not hit the streets yet). The hum is not ground loop and took about 30 minutes to fix but the sub sounds great.

Will hold onto my old sub in case the amp goes. I am kinda hopping is does so I can get one of the new ones.

But, this is a very nice sub with great extension and output.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've had my MFW-15 for a year and I have had no problems with its performance. I actually just got around to buying a much longer sub cable and have tried different room placements and I believe I have now found the "sweet spot". This sub can be very subtle when needed but when called on to do the down and dirty rumbles it delivers with authority. I love my MFW-15 and would recommend it to anyone looking for a sub in its price range. I'd put my MFW-15 up against the A5-350 any day and I'm sure that mine would pound the eD into the ground (IMHO).

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iresq /forum/post/15579161

Well said Graphicguy.

I started with a bad experience at AV123. Mark S made it right for me. I just received my new A stock MFW-15. After assurances that the sub was tested, it came with the dreaded hum (guess the new amps while in production have not hit the streets yet). The hum is not ground loop and took about 30 minutes to fix but the sub sounds great.

Will hold onto my old sub in case the amp goes. I am kinda hopping is does so I can get one of the new ones.

But, this is a very nice sub with great extension and output.

LOL are you hopping or hoping?

Man thats not something I would be hoping for though seriously. I'd be hoping for it to work flawlessly for years to come. Actually there shouldnt be any hoping involved at all. It should work flawlessly but if it doesnt, like has been posted here and on their forum, they have identified the problem with the amps and have taken the necessary steps to correct it. Which they deserves kudos for.

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rone /forum/post/15579813

I've had my MFW-15 for a year and I have had no problems with its performance. I actually just got around to buying a much longer sub cable and have tried different room placements and I believe I have now found the "sweet spot". This sub can be very subtle when needed but when called on to do the down and dirty rumbles it delivers with authority. I love my MFW-15 and would recommend it to anyone looking for a sub in its price range. I'd put my MFW-15 up against the A5-350 any day and I'm sure that mine would pound the eD into the ground (IMHO).

Did you do the "place the sub in your primary viewing seat and crawl around on your hands and knees in the room to see where the best bass was" setup?

·
Registered
639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk02bird /forum/post/15575838

theelviscerator, that is a good deal that you got, however, this is not what is officially offered to the public for a new subwoofer. I do not know if you bought a b-stock, which is not technically brand new, or if you just got one hell of a deal. I called AV123 earlier and spoke with a gentlemen that informed me they currently only have 1 b-stock mfw 15 in one of the "special" finishes. With the 20% discount it was $639 plus $130 shipping for a total of $769. This is quite a bit more than the $650 total.

graphicguy, thanks for the tip, I might give them another call.

thank you to everyone for the input, but so far I feel that majority of you feel that if the A5-350 is not the winner, its one heck of a competitor.

Black Friday Sale, Brand New.

Not like it just didnt happen!

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/15579852

Did you do the "place the sub in your primary viewing seat and crawl around on your hands and knees in the room to see where the best bass was" setup?

Nope, I did try six different locations though. I spent four hours total tweaking the sub and found the "sweet spot" in my room in the second placement option I tried. We thought the MFW-15 sounded good with where we had it initially but I always knew I could get it sounding better but had not put the effort into moving it around. My wife is even impressed with the way it blends with the rest of the system now. Funny thing is I don't get things rattling around in my room as much now. I get awesome bass with impact and now it's not obvious which side the bass is coming from.

I had a similar experience at one of my buddy’s home a few weeks ago. I had told him to move his sub around in his room to see if there was a better spot for it. After the tweaking session was over the difference in the over all output of his JBL sub I'd say nearly doubled. I am now a convert to the "Room Placement Sub Position Church". Room placement makes a huge difference so anyone reading this that is wondering if a different spot might sound better, try it and you'll thank me later.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I've dealt with all sorts of ID companies for a good long while.....AV123, Ascend, HSU, monoprice, bluejean, ac4l.com, EMOTIVA and many others. There are some who've gone above and beyond any reasonable expectation I had. Then, there are those I was disappointed in.

AV123 is one of the former.

It's tough to beat the value for dollar spent with most ID companies...if you find a good one. AV123 is one of those.

But, if there's a downside with ID, you really don't know what you're getting when you order their products. You have to rely on places like AVS to get any real feel for what's good, and what's not so good. And, you must rely on being taken care of if things do go sideways.

Even with B&M stores, not everything is going to be perfect, all the time.

In AV123's case with the MFW 15, it's my guess (and only a guess), that Mark may have underestimated the demand. If anyone has ever had the pleasure of talking to him, he's really a very kind man. He also happens to be what I consider an audio design genius (AV123 isn't the first audio company he's started...although, it's probably the biggest). I'll even lump David Fabrikant, Ascend Founder, into that same category.

To add to the MFW 15 demand conundrum, Mark decided to do something nice for his workers in Columbia, and offer the profits on some of the MFWs (which had slight blemishes) to those workers. That only added to the MFW frenzy. Then, the highly regarded "craigsub" list came out....top 10 ranking for 1 MFW...top 5 ranking for 2 MFWs. And, against competition that included subs that were 2X, sometimes 3X the price. Even as an outsider, you could see where things were going.

High demand, overstrained production, long lead times, shortage of components, etc. Something was bound to break. Just recently, I saw Mark post something regarding some of the MFWs were held up due to "drug agent" inspections as he was trying to get them here. I can just see the scenario....a bunch of large crates, with heavy contents, coming from Columbia, let's take them apart to see if they've got little baggies in them.

I suppose it's not a bad problem to have. Lots of people want the product. That's the good part. It's clear to me that AV123 is going through all the problems that any company goes through when experiencing a huge growth spurt.

What's never changed (at least from where I sit) is Mark's commitment to his customers (even his critics). Yeah, things can get a little "caddy-whompus" from time-to-time. But generally, AV123 takes care of their customers. That's the true nature of making a decision to deal with one company over another....all else being equal. I wish I could say the same for all the ID companies I've dealt with. Unfortunately, I can't.

I don't know if eD is the same. I can only speculate that SVS is, based on what I've read. Obviously, there's some sort of disconnect going on with Epik. Are they out of business? Are they in business? If they are, where's the product?

Again, I don't think you can make a bad decision in this general price range from the companies we've been talking about....whether it's an AV123 MFW 15, an eD A5, SVS PB/PC 12 NSD. They're all good. It just depends on how you stack your priorities, regarding which you choose.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:
If your top concern is price (say within $100, or so), then you'd be hard pressed to do better than the SVS PB 12 NSD, and particularly the SVS PC 12 NSD. Decent looking, too. But, if you don't care about the finish, and want good performance, the eD A5 would be tough to beat.

the eD matte black finish looks better than pb 12 nsd finish from the close-up photos I've seen. So you should've said if you don't care about the finish, pb12-nsd is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Fwiw I have an Epik valor and 2 Pb10 IMO the finishes are about par. The Svs is smooth and not shiny. My valor is pretty smooth with a little orange peel look but glossy. Imo they both look good. But are ugly to others who like Veneer. I've only seen the old ED finish which is really ugly IMO. But if there new matte finish is similar to Epiks it will look pretty good IMO

·
Registered
373 Posts
I must say the world of Internet Direct subs is a little strange especially in this economy where most businesses are struggling.

One mfg has so many orders that they are not taking more and only selling the most expensive product.

Others have long waits.

Others are raising prices. Or shipping charges.

The one I am leaning toward and have called several times acts if they could care less to give me info on their product. Have been trying to purchase a B stock item listed for a week to no avail.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts