AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm starting to assemble on a new HTPC, and although I read that the A6-5400k can run madvr with Lanczos (not with Jinc), I wonder if it can also handle the Smooth Motion?

Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gave it a try, and didn't work.

With Smooth Motion off, I get timings of 8 + 11ms, and no frame drops. With it on, these increase to 22 + 11ms, and frames start dropping. I guess I'm out of luck

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
I use a GT 430 with SMFRC and it doesn't drop frames. I cannot run Jinc with this card though.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio  /t/1471529/a6-5400k-enough-for-madvrs-smooth-motion#post_23291935

22 + 11ms

What's this?

Anyway in my own test, A6-5400K + DDR3-1866 is perfect for Bicubic75+AR chroma / Lanczos3+AR image + SMFRC. Rendering time (SMFRC off / on):

- SD film: 10.7 ms / 16.8 ms (Perhaps you have to add the tag "deint=Film" for telecined contents)

- HD film: 12.8 ms / 18.2 ms

- FHD film: 7.6 ms / 13.3 ms

Remember that for film 24fps, the rendering time needs to be below 1 / 24fps = 41.7 ms. A6-5400K is fast enough, 18.2 ms

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm running DDR3-1866, dual channel, although to be honest I ran a benchmark with a single stick of 4g DDR 1600, and it is not much faster. I'm currently running this:

Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2KIT2G3D1869DT1TX0 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1866

Module Size: 4GB kit (2GBx2)

Package: Ballistix 240-pin DIMM

Feature: DDR3 PC3-14900

Specs: DDR3 PC3-14900 • 9-9-9-24 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1866 • 1.5V • 256Meg x 64 •

The motherboard is MSI FM2-A75-E35.

The 22 + 11ms time is rendering time + present time. The max stats go above that, and that's maybe why it drops frames?

The upscaling parameters I'm following yours (Bicubic75+AR chroma / Lanczos3+AR image).

How is your present time? I see other people have it quite low, mine is pretty high for some reason!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Try the trade quality for performance settings. If that doesn't help and lowering the upscaling algorithms doesn't, then you can change the gpu and cpu queues higher to see if it helps.

Btw, I would test using LAV Filters video in Software mode. Don't use any other setting.

Sent from my Blade S using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Two important points:

1. Make sure to play in fullscreen exclusive mode. Full windowed mode is inefficient (tends to cause dropped frames).

2. In madVR settings > rendering > general settings, check "use a separate device for presentation (Vista and newer)". Without checking this, rendering time will be a lot longer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx  /t/1471529/a6-5400k-enough-for-madvrs-smooth-motion#post_23294484

Two important points:

1. Make sure to play in fullscreen exclusive mode. Full windowed mode is inefficient (tends to cause dropped frames).

2. In madVR settings > rendering > general settings, check "use a separate device for presentation (Vista and newer)". Without checking this, rendering time will be a lot longer.

Thanks! Enabling FSE made things much better! The option 2 doesn't seem to improve things much, and added some sort of tearing on fast moving scenes?

I also found something else that helped reduced the ms a bit more. I noticed on my bios I have HPET enabled, and by reading the following, they recommend to keep it on, but make sure windows is only using HPET:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1075781-tweak-enable-hpet-in-bios-and-os-for-better-performance-and-fps/

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander  /t/1471529/a6-5400k-enough-for-madvrs-smooth-motion#post_23294177

Try the trade quality for performance settings. If that doesn't help and lowering the upscaling algorithms doesn't, then you can change the gpu and cpu queues higher to see if it helps.

Btw, I would test using LAV Filters video in Software mode. Don't use any other setting.

Sent from my Blade S using Tapatalk 2

Software mode ended up making things worse. I noticed the fastest one for me is DXVA Copy-Back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.