AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it bad for the tv to keep the backlight on 10, i had tried lowering the back light and increasing contrast, but i seem to get more detail with backlight on 10 and lower contrast, thank you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
seriously, no one

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Unless you're viewing the TV on a sunny day with glass walls surrounding your room.

In a brighter room, I don't go any higher than 5. In a really bright room, even 6-7 should suffice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my room is mostly very dark

·
Registered
441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1279 /forum/post/15455043

is it bad for the tv to keep the backlight on 10, i had tried lowering the back light and increasing contrast, but i seem to get more detail with backlight on 10 and lower contrast, thank you.

I'm not sure about being bad for the TV, but it can't be great for your power bill or your eyes, especially in a dark room. My 750 looks good to me at backlight 3 in a dark room..

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
The backlight setting is for controlling the amount of light that is output, not picture detail.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline /forum/post/15459847

I use 4 for satellite, which is viewed in a range of lighting. And 3 for all Bluray watching in a dark room.

10 is brighter than the sun

wow seriously 4, i can barley see anything below 6, i must have got a bad set then, i have mine set to 7-8, now if i keep it around that low will it cause less heat put out on the screen too, b/c my room is pretty small and with a 46" tv its big for a small size room and gets pretty warm? again thank you all for info, but on 3-4 wow, i can't see anything on that low. the picture in my sig i believe is set at 10

·
Registered
286 Posts
Try contrast at 95-100 and brightness at 45-50 with the backlight set at 3-5 depending on how much light you have in your room.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjfoien /forum/post/15468074

Try contrast at 95-100 and brightness at 45-50 with the backlight set at 3-5 depending on how much light you have in your room.

the only light in my room is my tv light

·
Registered
156 Posts
I prefer a brighter image too but 6 is plenty for me (contrast at 95).

10 is ridiculously bright. It won't damage your set, but it will have a marginal impact on power consumption and longevity.

·
Registered
441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1279 /forum/post/15465830

i have mine set to 7-8, now if i keep it around that low will it cause less heat put out on the screen too, b/c my room is pretty small and with a 46" tv its big for a small size room and gets pretty warm?

Each step of backlight is about a 10 watt difference in power usage, and less power usage will generate less heat. At backlight 2, I was getting about half the power usage as at backlight 10. Also, even at the highest settings, it still uses less power than the models of PS3 that were out last summer...

Other settings that seem to affect power usage are dynamic contrast and energy saving

1 - 13 of 13 Posts