AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey anyone try out this projector yet? I think it was discussed on another thread, but any other opinions? $369 seems a good fit for the kids room especially the size...

I'm trying to post link to Endgaget but I guess I'm too new haha

Is it any good?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I haven't received it yet as it's still being shipped to me. However, once I get it I will share what I think of it here. It sure looks good so far.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
And this would be in the $3,000+ forum because......

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Can we get this moved to the right area?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with my gut and ended up picking up the m2! I just couldn't resist. The price point wasn't that bad considering the other options out there such as the iSival or the LG HX300

Right when m2 came in I had to test out all the claims! First and foremost it can and will project 100" diagonal in my room. This was in almost complete darkness, but when I turned on a few lights I was still able to produce 85" diagonal with ease. In both cases its still very bright, vivid, and watchable.

I was amazed at all the hidden features I was able to find. The manual barely touched upon the subject. You can invert the projections to fit any installation, whether its rear project or ceiling mounted. It even gives you the ability to change the saturation, contrast, keystone correction, and brightness. There is control of the color rendition from warm, normal, to cool. Another plus was that there was no major problem with screen door effect, which you see more often with LCD and often with DLP. Good tip for any m2 owners, try to lower or disable all the sharpening and that should decrease the "ringing" or artifacts you see.

It has the ability to handle 16x9 images after you mess with different aspect ratio settings, so that was a big plus. The LED allows this projector to project very bright images even in a well lit room. The image remains clear & smooth across the screen from edges to center even when you walk up close to it. Trying to control the remote at night can be difficult, but I didn't expect to get a blue back lit remote. The can seem confusing, but you get the hang of it after a little fiddling.

Overall I was quite impressed with the performance and features of the m2. It works best for people who want XGA computing, gaming, watching hd tv, and the avid traveller. The m2 is worth the price and if the bulb does last the full or even near 15k, I'll know I got my moneys worth.

Here are some images of this thing in action!

~90" Image on wall

On the kitchen door

Web browsing

Close up of text

Vivid Colors

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Well mine came and my first impressions were wow what a heavy box for that small projector, uh oh a giant power brick?YUP...The fan is loud,..good color,not unrealistic or dynamic
like some dlp led owners say.70 inches at 9 feet.oh its got a loud fan or there is a F/8 spooling up back there

One thing does bother me..it looks like it has the same menu as the topwing led projector
.Its so far "nice" more to come.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would like to hear more about this PJ, thinkin' of snaggin one up. What's your opinion eat meat? What's the problem with the Topwing PJ?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymut /forum/post/19602312

Would like to hear more about this PJ, thinkin' of snaggin one up. What's your opinion eat meat? What's the problem with the Topwing PJ?

I like the m2,good performance/price ratio altho the little fans are loudish and can resonate when set on shelfs and tables without using the tripod.

the topwing had poor resolution and the hdmi and vga inputs caused a small electronic "shake" and had the same clunky looking interface the m2 seems to have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FW: M2 information request

Aaxatech Customer/Tech Support-Chun

I apologize for the late response but I finally got some replies that I was waiting for. Here are the answers to your questions.

How high a resolution of JPEG can it display and how does it handle progressive JPEG?

The M2 has a max resolution of 1600x1200. In regards to the progressive JPEG, it will render it but if you're looking for specifically how it handles it, I was unable to obtain an answer for that.

What parts of the MKV format can it handle?

The M2 projector can play .mkv files. If you could please be more specific if this doesn't answer your question, I will be glad to get an answer for you.

What's the maximum MP3 bit rate it can play?

The M2 can handle 320

What are the maximum resolutions for all video files?

1024x768

Can you provide a complete list of all the codecs that it supports?

Please see the supported file types. Along with those, DiVX, XviD, and H264 are the more popular codecs we support.

What extra controls does it have that might not be mentioned in the manual?

All the controls are covered in the manual

Can the firmware be upgraded?

The firmware can be upgraded, but we currently do not have any available

Why only HDMI 1.2?

The 1.2 chipset was selected for its balance of performance and cost.

Do you have any plans for an external battery for the M2?

We do not, but if you can find an external battery pack that produces at least 55w without going over 12V, it will work.

Do you have plans to keep using the Phlatlight chipsets and do incremental design tweaks like you've done with the M1?

We are committed to using the Phlatlight chipsets. Incremental design tweaks will come over time as we discover better manufacturing techniques as well as incorporating customer suggestions.

Chun Huang

Customer/Technical/Marketing Support

Tel: 714-957-1999

Fax: 714-242-6712

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the M2 with the lights off. Looks pretty decent, much better than I thought 110 lumens would...

Any one have any suggestions for a high gain movie screen?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just got one of these as a gift. The power brick becomes extremely hot after the unit is on for about an hour. I've had it on for 2-3 hrs and it never shut off due to overheat or anything. The PJ itself is rather cool but the power pack hot enough to just about burn my hand when I pick it up. Anyone else notice this? I know some laptop power bricks can get pretty hot too and some even have a warning on them stating "Caution- may become hot to the touch" but this one does not bear any such label. Wondering if I have a defective unit.

Also seem to have a noisy fan...the 1st time I powered up the unit everything was fine, the 2nd and 3rd times the front fan made a loud buzz/hum noise akin to what I've heard when the fan in a computer starts to go bad. If I turn the PJ off then back on the fan starts up ok the 2nd time. Thinking I should probably send this back and exchange it but wondering if anyone else with this unit has had either of these issues, more so the hot power brick.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anybody tested to see if any of these LED PJ's take a component video input through the VGA port via a RGB to HD15 cable? Mainly interested in PT100, Acer K11, or Aaxa M2. Also dont you guys agree that the M2 seems superior given it's higher resolution? Has anyone compared the lumens side by side of the K11 vs the M2?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
YPbPr is on the input menu . The higher res. is very nice,but the k11 has 90 more lumens-a lot when the m2 is only 110.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I wonder if and how much prices will drop on these little bad boys after CES....

I also wonder if it would be worth replacing or modding the Axxa fan to quiet things down, aside from building a hush box...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm actually really interested to hear more about this projector... I am a musician on a cruise ship and think this would just be the perfect thing to bring with me, I could watch movies in my cabin through my macbook pro at 720p shined on a sheet hung from the wall. I'm a bit concerned about the heat of the brick, and the noise of the fan (though not really... I sleep with a fan on so I'm used to watching tv with fan noise).

One thing I am VERY curious about is the options, anyone who has this projector could you PLEASE take and put up screenshots of the options? I want to confirm that this projector does or does not have any kind of keystone correction, image inverting etc... I'd really like to be able to have "some" placement options in my cabin (if there is keystone correction even only 15 or 20 degrees on this pj then it at least on paper is by far the best for my needs).

Also if anyone has had experience with the LG HS200 or the Acer K11 to compare to I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yes it has key+ and key- and u/d l/r for reversing fliping screen on the remote.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
wait for the vivatec quimi .300 lumen, 720 p, 3d, 500$

·
Registered
55 Posts
When does that projector come out, my next contract is Jan 21st through June so I want to have it for that, I can't wait for a projector coming out in March or April

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaslides /forum/post/19793553

When does that projector come out, my next contract is Jan 21st through June so I want to have it for that, I can't wait for a projector coming out in March or April

lotsa new led stuff coming in may ,to bad

1 - 20 of 52 Posts