AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize much discussion has been given to both of these speakers, and certainly some comparisons:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...digm+vs+rocket

but i was wondering if any others have directly AB tested them (I do admit to not having read every post in that 3000+ monstrosity of a thread on rockets)

Certainly these two are top contenders for me. The rockets have the visual edge IMHO, but i haven't heard them (2 babies+job prevent me from chasing down an audioenvy). While clearly there is a significant fan base, some of the AB comparisons I read had me concerned the high-end might be lacking on the Rockets:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...rgy+and+rocket

(skip the end of it :) ).

I'm shooting for a nice neutral speaker. The stereophile review sure was positive of the Studio100's.

Thanks much. All opinions are welcome

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I have done that comparison in my home with both sets of speakers, and came to the same conclusion as the poster in the above mentioned thread on AV123 Forum. If you are interested in more details, please PM me.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CanO
I realize much discussion has been given to both of these speakers, and certainly some comparisons:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...digm+vs+rocket

but i was wondering if any others have directly AB tested them (I do admit to not having read every post in that 3000+ monstrosity of a thread on rockets)

Certainly these two are top contenders for me. The rockets have the visual edge IMHO, but i haven't heard them (2 babies+job prevent me from chasing down an audioenvy). While clearly there is a significant fan base, some of the AB comparisons I read had me concerned the high-end might be lacking on the Rockets:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...rgy+and+rocket

(skip the end of it :) ).

I'm shooting for a nice neutral speaker. The stereophile review sure was positive of the Studio100's.

Thanks much. All opinions are welcome
CanO

One thing is. Where are you from? You might want to fill in the location and if someone is close by might accomodate for an audition at your place instead :)

·
Premium Member
7,326 Posts
CanO,

What is bright to me might be dull to you. What sounds bright in Joe Schmoes listening room might sound dull in your living room. Without a frame of reference (i.e how they compare to the real thing), an AB comparision is essentially worthless. I recommend you order a set of 750's and see what you think. That is the ONLY way to decide if they are right for you.

If 2 babies and a job inhibit you from auditioning speakers, maybe now is not the right time to purchase speakers.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tonygeno
CanO,

What is bright to me might be dull to you. What sounds bright in Joe Schmoes listening room might sound dull in your living room.
I agree, but what i want to know is what sounds good to YOU. I have found the discussion of opinions about av equipment both useful and interesting (hence my endless reading of this forum).

Quote:

If 2 babies and a job inhibit you from auditioning speakers, maybe now is not the right time to purchase speakers.
you may be right, but when has that stoped any of us :).

cheers

·
Premium Member
7,326 Posts
Quote:
I agree, but what i want to know is what sounds good to YOU.
How it sounds to ME means nothing. What's important is how it sounds to YOU.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Quote:
I agree, but what i want to know is what sounds good to YOU. I have found the discussion of opinions about av equipment both useful and interesting (hence my endless reading of this forum).

you may be right, but when has that stoped any of us :).

cheers
Cano

you still have not answered where you are from. Again.

Someone with rockets might be able to take them to YOUR place so YOU can hear them in YOUR environment.

As was stated. It is you that is hearing the Paradigm's vs Rockets. ;) Not us :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Don't you just love these guys. They'll buy what sounds good to us, not what sounds good to them. Will wonders never cease?:)
Hey now I never said that. I like to get peoples opinions. I understand that speaker sound is subjective. I like to read peoples reviews and comparisons of AV equipement. I have enjoyed reading the many quality reviews and comparisons, other peoples ABC shoot outs between the rockets, energy and polk, not to mention many other av products. If you don't like to read these types of reviews don't read em! I guess from now on i'll have to start all my requests for information with a disclaimer that say "PLEASE NOTE: I realize a/v quality judgements are largely subjective"

I appreciate the suggestion of getting a demo at my house (great to have such a generous community of audophiles). Unfortunately for me I'm going to be moving in about a year. I'm not trying to find the perfect speaker for my current av room (crowded and glass filled), but just trying to learn a bit more about a variety of speakers im interested in (and might end up as back ups for the family room :) )

Cheers

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have heard both but not A/B, and I enjoyed both. I have no reason to disagree with the massive amount of awards Paradigm has received nor with the glowing user reviews of Rockets.

My perception is that the Rockets are warmer than Paradigms and that Klipsch RF7's are brighter than the Paradigms. Magazines and my local dealer call the Paradigms neutral and Onyx calls the Rockets "lush" and laid back.

One of the reviews on this forum found the 100's to have more bass extension but overall they like the 750's...it seemed like a close decision.

The 100's were speaker of 2002 by one major magazine and the Rockets are the most talked about brand on this forum. Both should be short listed for a personal a/b in your home. I would guess that you will be thrilled with either but given the chance to A/B them you'll probably find a preference.

If you want to own a speaker focused more on music that targets audiophiles who like neutral speakers then the Onyx Reference Series might be a better fit than the Rockets. For HT the Rockets seem to be pushed.

If Paradigm is your favorite from the local store then try to get a 30-day no questions asked return policey and take them home. Then order a pair of 750's with a package to be sent later if Rockets are your choice. After a couple of weeks of both in your home you'll have your answer.

If form factor and looks are a factor then you'll find some differences there. Wives and space conscience buyers seem to be thrilled with the Rockets.

The smaller lower priced Paradigms may be a better fit and have a great sound just as the Rocket 550's. The 550 package is on sale--a great deal!

I would also check product availability in case that is a factor.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for your thoughts. The rockets certainly are beautiful (WAF factor already stated as high for those :) ). I definitely want to try the 30-day return test, although I am debating the drive to canada (5 hrs) to save significant $$ (and wouldn't feel right returning the speakers to go buy from another dealer).

the rocket refs look to be great, but i have a feeling they'll be outside my price range

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
CanO

My test was with 40s(same tweeter & mid as the 100s) and 750s and the Rockets proved to be the clear choice for me. My main concern was with the top end. I use a 5.1 setup.

Good Hunting

Eric

·
Registered
541 Posts
No Opinion on the Rockets as I've not heard them. I've owned Studio 100's and 40's, both excellent speakers that for me were much better than the Swan Divas I tried. I know the Rockets are much improved though and overcame the defiencies I found with the Divas.

BTW, TonyGeno, he was asking for opinions and I feel your responses were at best unhelpful. Forum discussion is based on exactly the info he was requesting.

James Elvick

·
Premium Member
7,326 Posts
James:

These topics have been discussed ad infinitum (or should I say ad nauseum). Anybody can make up anything about any speaker. To me, that's unhelpful. The herd mentality here amazes me. The fact that discussion is limited to so few brands, when there are literally hundreds of speaker brands, I find a bit strange and disconcerting. And besides, David has specifically said that this type of comparison is verboten. See the sticky at the top of this forum.

When someone states from the outset that he's too busy to do his homework...well, you get the picture. I try to point out to folks that it's only their ears that matter, and that the only comparison is to the real thing. A search on Studio 100s and Rocket 750s would yield as many opinions as one would care to read. Again, my whole point is "Trust your ears" and make your comparisons to "The Real Thing". If that is being unhelpful, I stand guilty as charged.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by thedeskE
CanO

My test was with 40s(same tweeter & mid as the 100s) and 750s and the Rockets proved to be the clear choice for me. My main concern was with the top end. I use a 5.1 setup.

Good Hunting

Eric
My concerns too. Glad to hear the 750's worked great there for you.

Cheers

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
James: thanks.

Tony: More unhelpful responses. Its not your message its the delivery, and If you can't see the offensive nature of your responses thats your problem. I thought you stopped being "generous" with your time and left this thread. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree with what Tony is repeatedly saying, but also disagree with the delivery. It's not contributing to this thread or helpful at all. Tony, what you're saying could apply to and be posted in the majority of threads in the speaker forum. Again, I agree with you fundamentally, but you have to "let it go" sometimes.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I still stand by what I said of getting them auditioned in your home. Even if you are moving because as you stated. When you audition ANY speaker at the av store. They will sound remarkably different MOST of the time when you hear them at home.

When you move. Then it will be time to re-evaluate OR perhaps push out the purchase till that time???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.