AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-- Why is it that I can get all other OTA HD in my area with NO audio loss at all but ABC constantly does it ? It does not matter if I use digital or analog audio either , it does the same thing either way .

-- I am actually in Vancouver Wa. [ just across the river ] , could this be the problem ? Is ABC sending a weaker signal than the others in this area .

-- trying to watch the Wolves put the hurt on the Lakers ;) ... and I would love to get this fixed by the NBA FINALS [ all on ABC HD :) ] .

-- Gear :

-- Samsung Tantus OTA HD box SIR-T150

-- Indoor UHF antenna [ I know it should be outdoor for best results but others in my area seem to be good with indoor ]

---- Thank You [ any/all suggestions welcome ] ,

----- Jason Berg

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live in Vancouver, Washington as well. I watched channel 2-ABC, and saw Forest Gump in 720P last week, it was amazing, except for the audio was stopping after the commercial was over and the movie started. To fix it, I had to change the channel and then change it back real fast.

I had a samsung sir-t151 tuner.... my new sir-t165 is in the mail now. I also noticed in our area that the ABC tower is further south or so than the rest of the stations. Try putting on ABC and aiming your antenna south east.

Also do you have the zenith hdtv antenna? if not, what one are you using?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The audio problems with KATU appear to be specific to the Samsung SIR-T150 and T151 set tops. I have been using the SIR-T150 for more than a year, and didn't have audio problems until the end of 2002 when KATU apparently changed something in their broadcast equipment. I'm in Beaverton, and get fine video reception on Ch. 2 (Ch. 43) but the audio really sucks (all other digital channels are fine). The only suggestion I've heard that fixes the problem is to cycle power several times to the box.

Gary

·
Registered
268 Posts
It also affects the MyHD card. I exchanged an e-mail and KATU was aware of the problem, indicated they were the only one's sending 5.1 and that they weren't sure if it was a receiver problem or there problem...and have been silent (like their audio) on the issue ever since despite repeated e-mails...I suggest you voice your concerns by sending them e-mail.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok, ABC was dropping audio signals on my samsung sir-t151, but I took it back and ordered a sir-t165 (because i needed the firewire port for the jvc 30k), and ABC's audio wasnt dropping. But now tonight, the movie Gladiator was on ABC, and oh boy, most of the movie was silent except for half a second intervals of audio from the movie comming in every few seconds.

Now I thought that this wouldn't happen with the sir-t165! Is this happening because the movie is in dd5.1?

Is there a firmware update to fix this on the sir-t165? are there any firmware downloads for any of the samsung tuners, if so where?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yikes! I didn't think the Samsung SIR-T165 was subject to these dropouts. I have a friend with one of these in the Beaverton area and haven't heard him complain about this issue. KATU is almost unwatchable for me with the Samsung SIR-T150 - the audio goes away everytime they go to commercials, and it may take half a dozen power cycles to get it back.

Gary

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I live in Seattle and have the same problem with KOMO here when they broadcast ABC network shows with DD5.1 sound (mostly movies). What I get on my SIR-T150 is choppy audio that cuts in and out constantly. I have emailed their engineers and they are perplexed. They have several receivers set up of all different brands including Samsung. None of these are showing the problem. I am suspecting it is some odd combination of things that shows up in the Samsung tuners. I am going to continue monitoring and emailing until they run out of ideas. I suspect it is in the network feed since other ABC stations in other cities seem to have a similar problem. Maybe a result of ABC losing $400 million last year...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think its because ABC changed the 5.1 spec that was a "standard" last year, and its incompatible with samsung's tuners.... even the newest sir-t165 were made usually in november2002.

Some people arn't complaining, but I bet if everyone who's having this problem emailed ABC, they'd change it.

Did you try the 2.0 firmware for the sir-t150? i think there's a 2.3 firmware out now too.

wish samsung made a firmware fixing this for a sir-t165.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I emailed the KATU programmer here in Portland, Oregon, and he replied less than 12 hours later :)

-----

I SENT:

Hi,

I've been getting some severe audio pops on my home theater on Channel 2, Portland, Oregon. Last week, I tried to watch gladiator on ABC, but the entire movie was almost completely silent! Even the commercials were popping with and without audio, except when they switched to a "news preview" for the 11oclock news, the audio was fine.

I have a Samsung SIR-T165 HDTuner, and was wondering if this problem is on my end, or where the fault lies. If I bought a rooftop antenna, would these annoying pops go away, or is this a known issue with ABC?

Any help reguarding this annoyance would be greatly apprciated.

-Matt Lisman

-------

HE REPLIED:

Matt,

I am actively working with Tektronix on solving the audio issue. They

have some sophisticated equipment that can disect our transport stream.

They also have the Samsung SIR-T165 receiver as well. Tektronix is going to

record our bitstream during an HD event and determine what is going awry.

Thanks for the feedback!

Alan

----

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I upgraded my T150 to version 2.0 on Fiday night and since then I have no audio problems on any channel, including the ABC movie last night in 5.1. Anyone still running version 1.8 software should consider 2.0 - you can always go back if it causes new problems. BTW - if you have TIVO unit you may have a cable that can be used to upgrade the Samsung. You need to add a null modem adapter and gender changer, but it works. Also, run the upgrade program in DOS mode, not Windows.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, ever since I emailed that katu guy, the movies have been comming in great, and no more audio problems. Just watched the green mile, and E.T, with no audio problems.

Also, the guy at samsung told me that they are "quietly" making a firmware update to correct "minor" problems with the sir-t165, and will release the update when its finished at their www.samsungusa.com and their forums :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm nowhere near Oregon but came across this thread because of problems with our ABC station and my SIR-T165. However, accompanying the audio pops are video dropouts as well. The video drops to black then restores quickly, but is extremely pixelated for a second or two before normal video resumes. Anyone out there experiencing this, or are your problems audio-only?

Secondly, iodsnips, if that's true about the firmware upgrade for the SIR-T165, that is HUGE news. REALLY huge. Maybe I missed it, but this is the first account I've heard of any intention by Samsung to improve this product. Post this in the Hardware or Recorders forum and you'll be very popular! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
all,

I have exactly the same issue and I have a Zenith HDV420 using an OTA. I also exchanged e-mails w/ Alan, he suggested I power cycle my Onkyo TX-DS838 receiver to see if it helps for a wile (Onkyo doesn't think that this is their problem).

The communality doesn't seem to be our equipment folks.

Dan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I watch KATU HD using a Fusion HDTV II card. It not only has audio drop, but short freezes to video. I have asked around and the general opinion is that this is a problem with the ABC source streams. As near as I can tell, everyone has problems with ABC streams. In some cases, it is merely a small audio glitch. In others it cause audio and video glitches. In some it can crash the reciever and you must reboot.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here in Eugene we used to have a similar problem with CBS. Audio popping or whatnot, very annoying. After talking to the local engineer he said that they were installing some filters CBS was sending them, and that something geographical was breaking up the audio. I don't remember what exactly the issue was, but after they installed the filters, all was good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi...

After having given up months ago with ABC's audio and my SIR-T150, I thought I'd search around on this forum again for any solutions. It's bothering me enough that I'm pondering purchasing a new receiver.

I'm running firmware v1.8 on my SIR-T150. I still get horribly garbled audio on ABC during the evening prime-time shows. Occasionally it comes in clear. And with maybe a half-dozen power-cycles, it might start working fine until what seems to be a local commercial break. It seems like some people with the T151 report that changing channels back and forth works for them - but it doesn't at all on my T150.

I am unable to find any firmware updates for the T150 on the Samsung web site. Anyone know for sure if there is an upgrade and if it solves (or improves) the problem? Also, I remember there was a special cable and instructions, anyone remember where I can find those?

Finally, reading this thread makes me sense that it is a national ABC feed problem. I assume people have told KATU about this? Any recent responses from them? With all the cost and expense to transmit HDTV, I'm surprised ABC hasn't fixed this.

Erik

p.s. I'm very curious how many people are still having this problem. Feel free to send me a private message to let me know you're also looking for a solution -- or if you've found one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.