1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Official Press Release:

ABC/ESPN TO BROADCAST THE STANLEY CUP FINALS IN HDTV

All Seven Stanley Cup Final Telecasts Will Be in High Definition

ABC Sports, the broadcast Network of the National Hockey League, will broadcast its coverage of the Stanley Cup Finals, airing May 31 – June 9, 2003, in High Definition Television (HDTV). ESPN will present six Stanley Cup Playoff games in HD, beginning Monday, April 28, with a Conference semifinal telecast, and culminating with Games 1 and 2 of the Stanley Cup Final.

ABC currently broadcasts the majority of its primetime schedule, including all of its scripted dramas, comedies and theatrical movies, in HDTV. The 2002-03 primetime HDTV broadcasts, sponsored by Zenith Electronics Corporation, currently bring the network’s total HDTV primetime broadcasts to more than 16 hours per week.

ABC has broadcast a number of high-profile events in HDTV, including the Super Bowl and the Academy Awards. In addition, the upcoming NBA Finals and the 2003-2004 season of “Monday Night Football†will also be broadcast in HDTV.

ABC was the first major network to broadcast in HDTV, beginning in November 1998, and it is the only major broadcast network currently airing its HD programming in Dolby Digital 5.1-channel surround sound. All of ABC’s programs will use 720 Progressive (720P), ABC’s selected HDTV format.

ABC has also broadcast the “2000 National Hockey League All-Star Game†and “Super Bowl XXXIV†in HDTV.

ABC SPORTS STANLEY CUP FINAL SCHEDULE:

May 31 8:00 p.m. Stanley Cup Final – Game 3

June 2 8:00 p.m. Stanley Cup Final – Game 4

June 5 8:00 p.m. Stanley Cup Final – Game 5

June 7 8:00 p.m. Stanley Cup Final – Game 6

June 9 8:00 p.m. Stanley Cup Final – Game 7

ESPN STANLEY CUP PLAYOFF SCHEDULE:

April 28 8:00 p.m. Conference Semifinal -- Game 3

April 30 7:00 p.m. Conference Semifinal -- Game 4

May 13 8:00 p.m. Conference Final -- Game 3

May 15 7:00 p.m. Conference Final -- Game 4

May 27 8:00 p.m. Stanley Cup Final -- Game 1

May 29 8:00 p.m. Stanley Cup Final -- Game 2

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Great! I'll get ESPN-HD on DirecTV and ABC-HD from Denver.

Oh wait -- I can't get either :mad: 0 games in HD for me

·
Registered
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steverobertson
ESPN HD doesn't exist it is a myth
Ask the Iraqian Information Minister. He'll know.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Even though I really like live hockey, I've never been a big fan of watching it on TV. But after seeing it in HD on HDNet I've found it is sooo much better. It is one sport that really benefits from the HD treatment. I'll definitely be watching some of those finals games on ABC. Now if we could just get them to do some of the announcer-less Sights and Sounds like they do on HDNet we'd be set!

ron

·
Registered
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bfadams
Ask the Iraqian Information Minister. He'll know.
Taken from a recent Information Minister statement:

" ESPN HD is on all cable networks, as well as D* and E*. It has been on since the channel began five years ago. My feelings, as usual, are that the other infidel networks will never have HD, we are the only channel that will provide HD, God willing. May Rupert Murdoch's stomach roast in hell"

:D

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I don't mean to be a bummer and I hope all of you don't take this wrong, however I've been dissapointed with the quality of ABC's HD. It's the 1080i vs 720p thing with me and at least on MY hdtv, the 720p converted to 1080i looks soft and not as detailed when it comes to THEIR LIVE productions.

Also, from what I have been reading here, the same is true with ESPN-HD.

Then again, it could be my equipment.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Agreed. I'm not really sure I've noticed a huge difference in picture quality between 1080i and 720P, but whatever the case, it's better than SD! We're spoiled here in Philadelphia since Comcast Sportsnet HD arrived, games in 1080i and DD 5.1 :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really hope DirecTV picks up the Stanley Cup Playoffs in HiDef, like many have said, Hockey, the fastest moving of any NorthAmerican Pro Sports benefits the most from HiDef broadcasting.

Bring it On !

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great to see the additional games on ESPN HD, but come on Comcast let me see em.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TopShelf
I really hope DirecTV picks up the Stanley Cup Playoffs in HiDef

I Hope so too because if someone goes up 2-0 on ESPN HD, Those of us who only have ABC could get cheated to Only 2 Games of the finals in HD!

That would not be Good!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thebarnman
I don't mean to be a bummer and I hope all of you don't take this wrong, however I've been dissapointed with the quality of ABC's HD. It's the 1080i vs 720p thing with me and at least on MY hdtv, the 720p converted to 1080i looks soft and not as detailed when it comes to THEIR LIVE productions.

Also, from what I have been reading here, the same is true with ESPN-HD.

Then again, it could be my equipment.
Anybody catch Joe Kane's comments about interlaced vs. progressive (particularly 720p vs. 1080i) in the current Widescreen Review? Quite interesting...

Todd/Indy

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kermee
Ken H.. Any idea if Expressvu is going to be able to get the ESPN-HD games? Thanks.
Playoff rights in Canada are owned by TSN and the CBC. I'm not a big follower of the breakdown, but I think TSN has early games between American teams only, with the CBC having the rights to the finals and all games involving Canadian teams.

I don't see the CBC relinquishing its rights to allow the ESPN telecasts to be shown. The ABC broadcasts, of course, will be broadcast.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.