AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local ABC started its high def signal on the 21st. 4pm to midnght. Upconverting regular programming to 1080i (looks great) but of course its 4x3. Then when the real 720p (converted to 1080i, thanks for nothing RCA) high def signal comes its also 4x3.

I'm guessing they are doing something wrong because the geometry looks to skinny.

I just wanted to double check before I call and correct them.

Are the ABC shows 16x9 (Drew Carey, Alias, NYPD Blue etc.).

Will Monday Night Football be in high def this year? Not that I really care to see Madden any clearer.

Roger

·
Registered
51 Posts
My ABC out of Sac. CA Is doing a pretty good job! when they are not broadcasting in HD the picture goes to 4x3 witch I believe to be normal.

Make sure that your set up is set to 16x9!

Football is a poor subject around here, Guess we have to wait and see!

you say that your station broadcast from 4- Midnight?

I wish that the stations would broadcast here all day or at least 6 p.m. till midnight!

Good luck!

Rick :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using the same memory on my Runco 930 that I use with Directv 199 & 509.

So you are saying the primetime ABC shows that are 720P are 16x9. If so I need to call my station.

I'm sure someone around here has to care about Football in High def. That is the thing that will really sell High def sets. Just like it sold the original rptv's.

It's great to be watching off air high def finally!

Roger.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes all ABC HD programs are 16:9 and almost everything is in 5.1 audio also. The commercials during HD programs are upconverted 4:3.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
All the non HD stuff in Portland is a 14:9 ratio. All HD is 16:9 and DD 5.1.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I will modify my previous post to say: All ABC HD programs are 16:9. The commercials and promos from the network are upconverted 4:3. The commercials and promos from your local station are whatever they choose to do.

·
Registered
690 Posts
All HDTV is in 16x9! If it is not 16x9 then it ain't HDTV. Some HD transmissions for movies keeping the OAR (original aspect ratio) SEND the black bars top and bottom, so in this case it is also true HDTV cause they are sending a 16x9 pic.

KABC in LA broadcasts their local analog signal in widescreen on their digital station. To keep the aspect ratio somewhat proportional they have chosen 14x9, leaving a skinny black bar on the left, but I prefer this format to the big black bars (4:3) on both CBS and NBC local broadcasts, but it IS NOT HDTV!!

Sometimes they forget to throw the proverbial HD switch and many HD net shows start out this way (for a few minutes, usually), like NYPD season finale we got several minutes of 14x9 SD the other night.

But do check to see if you set is set to 16x9, if you have that choice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to my local station and they said they are having "problems" with the HDTV passthrough and everything right now is just upconverted 720P.

Saturday nights presentation of Enemy of the State should be their first HDTV broadcast.

I wanted to make sure before I called that 4x3 720P wasn't what ABC was considering "HDTV".

I asked if they could stretch to 16x9 and he said they could but there is no separate memories for passthrough and upconverted material. So if he stretches 4x3 to 16x9 the passthrough would also be stretched. They are using the Lucent Flexicoder. Sounds like they don't know how to do it yet.

Is the 14x9 just stretched horizontally or are they cropping (stretching vertically) some to keep the geometry looking consistent?

One more question while I wait for Saturday night, how does the 5.1 sound? On movies like "Enemy" is it comparable to DVD?

Roger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.