AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
from what i gather, hardcore football fans arent allowed to like it, but i always thought the movie was an entertaining one. gotta have alot of cuts to make it for tv though

·
Registered
785 Posts
Any Given Sunday has a four letter word every other sentence.....that had to be a beast to edit.

And yes, it is a rather lame movie (this coming from a die hard football fan)...way too many Oliver Stone touches in it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFreek
Any Given Sunday has a four letter word every other sentence.....that had to be a beast to edit.

And yes, it is a rather lame movie (this coming from a die hard football fan)...way too many Oliver Stone touches in it.
Very true :)

I have to admit though, I like the shameless camera angles and hits that appear in this movie. Probably one of the best looking films I have seen in HD. Excellent 5.1 audio - thank you KTVX and ABC!

Michael.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN
very good picture and sound. a team called "america" vs the sharks??? wtf? oliver stone sucks
Are you objecting to the fact that it's not NFL licensed names, or the actual names of the teams themselves? The NFL refused to give Stone the rights to NFL teams and names. Sharks isn't that bad, but I do have to agree with the absurdity of a team called "America". :D

BTW, did they show the scene with the guy's eye popping out? Best scene in the whole movie! :D :D :D

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
I like the two dimensional CGIed fans at the stadiums. They're better than the cardboard cut out fans they used to tape to the seats in old football movies like "Black Sunday". They still look fake, but less so.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN
Are you objecting to the fact that it's not NFL licensed names, or the actual names of the teams themselves?....I do have to agree with the absurdity of a team called "America". :D

I am objecting to the fact that a team was named "america". Come on... you cant be more creative than call a team America? out of the billion nouns available... why would you choose "america". And what kind of name is that anyway? i realize the NFL wouldnt sanction this film, with good reason, it portrays everything wrong with the NFL in the film. it would be stupid for them to lisence something that patronizes and critizes their corrupt and greedy practices.

Anyway, i just think its so beyond lame to call a team "America" to the point of absurd hilarity. can you imagine in post 9/11 radical right Bush's Country, what would happen to anyone who "hated America, or said 'god america sucks, i hope they lose, etc". I think thats enough to get a first class ticket to Gitmo.

whoever came up with the name America should be fired from life.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The movie looked great in HD, its just a shame that the movie itself sucks so incredibly bad. It incorporates every negative stereotype of the NFL possible, and mentions none of the positive aspects football has. Beyond just sheer entertainment value, The charitible contributions from the NFL and its players are huge.

Sure, a team called the 'sharks' is fine, but don't you think if there was such a team, their logo would be a little more creative than a standard black shark on a white background? cheezy...

I think Hollywood hates pro football. No movie will ever be able to generate the drama and fan enthusiasm of the NFL.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN
I am objecting to the fact that a team was named "america". Come on... you cant be more creative than call a team America? out of the billion nouns available... why would you choose "america". And what kind of name is that anyway? i realize the NFL wouldnt sanction this film, with good reason, it portrays everything wrong with the NFL in the film. it would be stupid for them to lisence something that patronizes and critizes their corrupt and greedy practices.

Anyway, i just think its so beyond lame to call a team "America" to the point of absurd hilarity. can you imagine in post 9/11 radical right Bush's Country, what would happen to anyone who "hated America, or said 'god america sucks, i hope they lose, etc". I think thats enough to get a first class ticket to Gitmo.

whoever came up with the name America should be fired from life.
Let me be the first to say that it is, in fact, just a movie.

I loved Any Given Sunday. I don't expect every football movie to tie directly to the NFL, or even be realistic 100% throughout. The movie did a very good job of the action on the field with bone-crushing hits, it did a good job of the relationship between a new owner and a long-time successful coach, and it did a great job of the T.O.-like, egotistical QB who is being extremely successful. It just so happens that I like how the movie was put together as well, not your typical editing.

3 thumbs up for this movie. :D

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurredvision
Let me be the first to say that it is, in fact, just a movie.

I loved Any Given Sunday. I don't expect every football movie to tie directly to the NFL, or even be realistic 100% throughout. The movie did a very good job of the action on the field with bone-crushing hits, it did a good job of the relationship between a new owner and a long-time successful coach, and it did a great job of the T.O.-like, egotistical QB who is being extremely successful. It just so happens that I like how the movie was put together as well, not your typical editing.

3 thumbs up for this movie. :D
I agree. Any football fan should be able to kick back and enjoy this movie, flaws and all.

·
Registered
15,497 Posts
Pan and scan, edited to hell, plus commercials. Wow! Are you guys THAT hard up for HD programming???

If HD discs don't suck balls (with the copy protection being what it is and the call for mediocre bitrates to cram in more stuff) then I'm pretty much through with broadcast anything except live events. I'll wait for disc thankyouverymuch.

Dan

·
Registered
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman
Pan and scan, edited to hell, plus commercials. Wow! Are you guys THAT hard up for HD programming???

If HD discs don't suck balls (with the copy protection being what it is and the call for mediocre bitrates to cram in more stuff) then I'm pretty much through with broadcast anything except live events. I'll wait for disc thankyouverymuch.

Dan
Can you convince my wife to let me spring for a HMDI equipped set? :)

Michael.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.