·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the latest schedule (HDTV and 5.1):

4/26 Forrest Gump

5/3 Gladiator

5/10 The Green Mile

5/11 E.T. The Extraterrestrial (extended ver.)

5/17 Charlie's Angels

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DaveFi,

ET is scheduled for 3 hours. I don't know how long the extended edition is, but the original was under 120 min. I think there will still be plenty of commercial breaks.

ABC is constantly juggling their schedule, so this schedule can be considered "tentative".

·
Registered
18,929 Posts
I was being facetious- 3hrs is mandatory for a "major" film like ET. Raiders had so many commercials and Dinotopia promos it was rendered unwatchable.

I expect the same for ET.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well, Dave, get a large hard drive and a hipix and you can automatically skip all the commercials at leisure.

?;~0

Darius

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DaveFi,

I have a HiPix, and all I can say is "Commercials? What commercials?".

Seriously: I agree, I don't plan on sitting through the E.T. broadcast live, in real time.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Romanik
DaveFi,

I have a HiPix, and all I can say is "Commercials? What commercials?".
It's bad karma to brag:D Your copy might have ET's finger edited out and a thumbs up instead.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
is the extended version of et the pc version where they edited out the guns... how ridiculous.. even tho it was Spielberg's choice I think it unbelievable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry that this is off topic, but I haven't seen ET in a long time. What exactly was edited out? Were there guns during the chase seen towards the end?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Romanik

ET is scheduled for 3 hours. I don't know how long the extended edition is, but the original was under 120 min. I think there will still be plenty of commercial breaks.

I recently recorded the movie "Frequency" with my HiDTV tuner card. The movie was shown on ABC in a 3-hour time slot. Since I wanted to save this movie in my archives, I took the time to edit out all the commercials. In order to do this, one basically needs to find the start and end time within the movie for every commercial. There were twelve 5-6 minute commercial breaks in the three hour running time! After I reassembled the commercial-free movie, the total run time is 2 hours and 2 minutes. This requires 4 DVDs with today's 4.5GB/DVD technology. :( When the Blu-Ray technology becomes cost effective, I will transfer my archives and get 1 HDTV movie per DVD.

DonP

·
Registered
315 Posts
What/how do you capture the transport stream? I assume using a standard capture board (like a DVStorm) in DV (3.5MB/s) would be plenty o' bandwidth, right? But perhaps not enough resolution, thus underminding it, eh?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, the tuner cards such as my HiDTV card record the entire digital TV transport stream at the rate of 19.2M bits per second. This is about 8.5GB of file space per hour on the hard drive. My HTPC currently has three 80GB Seagate 4s and I just ordered a 120GB Seagate 5. (When the 120GB drive is installed, my HTPC will have more than one-third terabyte!) I am using DVD-R media for archiving and I have determined that a 4.5GB DVD will hold exactly 32 minutes and 21 seconds worth of transport stream data with about 1MB to spare.

DonP

·
Registered
315 Posts
OK, and DV at 3.5MB (megaBYTES)/s is about 12,600MB's ... so the Hi-Def is being compressed considerably. Anyone know the compression ratio?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.