AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where those really HDTV commercials that ABC was showing during the movie "Notting Hill"? I saw 3 different ones that were full widescreen - were they all HDTV or were they Widescreen Upconverts? Usually the widescreen commercials show inside a box. In any case it is nice to see.:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
One of 'em definitely looked like an upconvert (the one with Ed Harris): he was really blurry and blocky.

But regardless, it is nice to see, and ought to please folks like Turner's CEO: HDTV ads might actually enrapture the audience!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Be careful in evaluating ABC. KABC in Los Angeles (and I believe other ABC stations) use the bizarre and very ugly 14:9 zoom for SD material, leaving thin side bars. National commercials via satellite shown during an HD movie often maintain their 4:3 ratio when KABC broadcasts them. But local commercials are zoomed to 14:9. The unwary might not notice the thin side bars and think the commercial is 16:9 and HDTV, but it's not.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G
Be careful in evaluating ABC. KABC in Los Angeles (and I believe other ABC stations) use the bizarre and very ugly 14:9 zoom for SD material, leaving thin side bars.
Same for ABC San Diego as well, initially the ads might look like widescreen HD but are just zoomed. I'm wondering if this is some kind of ABC directive.

Greg

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmichael
Need glasses?
Don't know about anyone else, but my attention level drops to zero during ads, so my guess is that it's perfectly possible with a reasonably upconverted ad.

Greg

·
Registered
532 Posts
Did you actually watch Notting Hill, gmichael? I'll admit my eyes are over 30 years old, but I could've sworn at least one of the commercials was amazingly sharp, detailed, clear, and nearly iridescent. Was it hi-def? Dunno.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.