AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the NFL (Monday Night Football) finished, when will ABC start broadcasting other sports in high definition? College basketball or NBA games are on ABC's schedule every weekend. Let's see some national HD broadcasts!

Does anyone have any information about ABC Sports' upcoming HD schedule?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Good question.

I'll ask my contacts. Expect an answer sometime next week.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Actualy with all the HD braodcasts by ESPN for the next few months, I assumed that the only way ESPN could do that many events is if they used ABC's truck.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevin j
espn only does like 1 or 2 events a week in HD
Try again.

In January, February and March, ESPN HD has over 60 events in HDTV, which works out to an average over 4 events per week.

·
Registered
45,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bdraw
Actually with all the HD broadcasts by ESPN for the next few months, I assumed that the only way ESPN could do that many events is if they used ABC's truck.
You may be on to something here, but I'll still ask.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
i've never seen espn do more than 4 games in a week[3 college/pro bball games and maybe an nhl game if they're lucky]

·
Registered
79 Posts
I sent an email to Indianapolis Motor Speedway President Tony George asking if the Indy 500 would be in HDTV. He sent me an email back saying they were trying to work out the details to make it happen in 2004.

This would be a part of ABC's "Championship Television"

Shawn

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
i've never seen espn do more than 3 games in a week[1 college/pro bball game and maybe an nhl game if they're lucky]
1/16 National Basketball Association LA Lakers @ Sacramento 10:30

1/19 College Basketball Pittsburgh @ Connecticut 7:00

1/21 College Basketball Duke @ Maryland 9:00

1/22 National Hockey League Philadelphia @ NY Rangers 7:30

That is 4 in 7 days.

I guess you haven't watched ESPNHD since college football ended.

They keep up this pace for a while

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvl...s/espnhd/index

·
Registered
45,754 Posts
Quote:
i've never seen espn do more than 3 games in a week[1 college/pro bball game and maybe an nhl game if they're lucky]
Sounds like there's a lot you haven't seen.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I also assumed that the logisitics of a college basketball arena or a pro arena make it much easier to set up and tear down. Not as many cameras (?), not as great of a distance to span and easier to set up the sound. Plus, everything is indoors, which must help as well. These are only my guesses though based on common sense observations.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
btw i've seen just about everything espnHD has shown since may
I don't think this statement helps your cause.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Also ESPN can pick and choose which games to do in HD based on location. There are three east coast games on 1/19, 1/21, 1/22. This could easily be covered by two trucks, whereas NFL games are all over the place, and you might need to full week just to move equipment.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jckessler
Also ESPN can pick and choose which games to do in HD based on location. There are three east coast games on 1/19, 1/21, 1/22. This could easily be covered by two trucks, whereas NFL games are all over the place, and you might need to full week just to move equipment.
Unless they drove the truck from Sacramento to New York, I don't see how they could of done all 4 of these events with 2 trucks.

Lets assume that is take 12 hours to setup/tear down, and the guys have to sleep. There is no way they could do 3 games in 4 days with 1 truck(the other one is on the west coast).

I doubt they drove the truck from Sacramento to New York, when they have an event in Phoenix on the 23rd.

They keep this up through March.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I was not including the west coast game. Please read my post. I mentioned the three east coast games, and said they could do all three with two trucks. Depending on set up, strip down time (which I don't know anything about), they could do all three with one truck, but that's probably pushing it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Indianapolis 500 would be fantastic in HD. This is the only racing event that I watch and it is a big deal to me and my family (being native Hoosiers). The Indy 500 would truly be HD Championship Television!

Question: Would it be possible for ABC to start taping their pre-recorded figure skating and other Olympic-type events? No truck is needed. Just a HD editing room which I am sure that they have and a couple extra HD cameras (they may or may not have). The more HD content the better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.