AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ABC kindly asked we post this to the forum members...

A special note from the Assistant Director, Technology and Strategic Planning ABC Television Network...

"ABC's Wonderful World of Disney's HDTV broadcast of Pinocchio this weekend will be an up-conversion. The full blown restoration for the HD transfer was not ready in time for the December 1st broadcast. A second, quick film transfer of an old print was not deemed worthwhile as there was not enough time for the comprehensive dirt and scratch removal process. The up-conversion was done in post, and should be significantly better that an up-conversion performed at the affiliated stations. Additionally, as the film was shot in the 4:3 aspect ratio, the upconversion will maintain this

ratio."

Thank you all. And I thank ABC for just letting us know about this upfront. Very nice of them.

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Wow. That's showing some respect to actually approach David to make mention of this here. Good for ABC. My kids are already looking forward to watching Pinocchio and I couldn't help but wonder the last couple of days if it'd be in HD or not. Now we know. Thanks ABC...:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I didn't buy the DVD because it was 4:3, but then I learned that is how it was shot and so I purchased it. I was all ready to record Pinocchio in HD on Sun. until this post. I will still watch it though. Kudos to ABC for being upfront and giving us the heads up.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Now that's customer service! They certainly saved themselves the speculation, etc. that would otherwise happen, but they really showed that they understand that information and presentation quality is important to our growing clan. Thanks ABC!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is there hope that ABC will show it again in 16X9 format ? ABC definitely deserves respect for approaching David - no guesswork and people know upfront what to expect and there will be no last second dissapointment (like today Masys Parade - no HD :(

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

·
Registered
795 Posts
"Is there hope that ABC will show it again in 16X9 format ?"

The film was not produced in 16X9. Why show it in a ratio not true to the OAR which probably was academy standard (1.33:1).

I see this kind of comment regarding other pre-1954 films and am concerned that the "it must be 16X9 or it's no good" logic is too common. All films should be seen in their OAR even if your 16X9 display has black areas on each side.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sunnycrest
"Is there hope that ABC will show it again in 16X9 format ?"

The film was not produced in 16X9. Why show it in a ratio not true to the OAR which probably was academy standard (1.33:1).

I see this kind of comment regarding other pre-1954 films and am concerned that the "it must be 16X9 or it's no good" logic is too common. All films should be seen in their OAR even if your 16X9 display has black areas on each side.
Well said.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can't believe the cheering going on about this.

It's ridiculous to suggest that an up-convert is

in any way preferrable to an HD transfer of any kind.

Viewers are not afraid of film scratches or dirt.

In fact we see them occasionally used as an effect.

Bottom Line: Upconvert = Not worth tuning in.

ST

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Steve, it may not be worth tuning into, but at least they told you that ahead of time and left it to you. There won't be any wild speculation about it here. There will likely be a thread comparing ABC upconverts to Faux or Showtime, but if they had done a poor job they would surely have been trashed for it. Not that that's their reason mind you. They chose not to because they have a high level of quality standard that they associate with their definition of "High Definition" and they chose to stick to that level. I have to commend them for that. I'd love to see it in HD, and hopefully they'll show it that way some day.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree - they are to be commended for being upfront about upconversion.

However, I still think that they should give us the

opportunity to view a dirty and scratched print in HD

before their army of soviet inspired re-touching staff

have had their way with the film.

cheers

ST

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The content of the programming is much more important (in my view) than what format it is shown in. There are many great old time movies that are great in black and white and should not be shown in color. I watch the Western channel all the time and old John Wayne movies and re-runs of 'Gunsmoke'. A number of HD programs have very little quality content; while, of course, others are very good. But, then, to each his own..I always say. I shall never watch a HD program just because it happens to be in HD.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I will not archive 3X4 period (oh, and BTW will not purchase in the future any media recorded in 3X4 format) - I can watch once and thats it, not to mention that major networks break The Feature about every 6.5 minutes (my feeling-not fact) with commercials.

And to all the jumpers black strips on right and left are no good for my Plasma

·
Registered
795 Posts
Whatever method they used to up convert, down convert or tweak, it is looking very good to these eyes. When you consider it is over 60 years old, it looks terrific.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by atmosfera
I will not archive 3X4 period (oh, and BTW will not purchase in the future any media recorded in 3X4 format)
Huh? So I guess movies like Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind or Casablanca, let alone every other movie made before the advent of 16:9 cinema is considered unworthy or watching or collecting, eh?

klick

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
There will always be 'improvemnts' in the way movies are made and shown.

And these 'improvements' will be carried over to TV display. You must understand, every 30 years (or less in future I would say). there will be another step up the ladder of viewing movies. Right now, we are into 'wide screen' and 'HD' for viewing. In another 20 years, or so, we will move into a better quality presentation with a wider screen..in my opinion. We must get used to these 'improvements' (at a price) but never forget the great movies that have been made in the past (at that point). Quality of presentation is all important; much more important that the way we view it at a certain point in history.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by swSteve
before their army of soviet inspired re-touching staff have had their way with the film.

Huh? Come again please?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by swSteve
before their army of soviet inspired re-touching staff have had their way with the film.
Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
Huh? Come again please?
Disney has been known to retouch films to remove non-politically correct material.

When Pecos Bill made it to DVD, he no longer sported a cigarette dangling from him mouth as he had originally been drawn.

Still, Steve, if Disney intended to do this to Pinocchio, they would have done so already.

·
Registered
416 Posts
it seems that kids were smoking cigars BIG TIME !

...still they modified the film to fit into time alloted

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.