AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've had my gripes about ABC before, so I thought I'd just break this down into an infamous list and see about your comments:

The Good:

Dharma & Greg last night (finally) has perfect lip sync after almost 5 weeks of screwing it up.

ABC announced that their fall lineup for shows shot on film would be presented in HD.

The Bad:

A handful of those shows have been cancelled, leaving gaping holes in their HD lineups and a lot of repeats from last year.

Movies that were implied would be presented in HD have not been.

The Ugly:

What About Joan seems to have disappeared from the airwaves. Personally, while not much to look at, I really enjoyed her show and think she's a great comedic actress. The chemistry between the two principal leads was also very good.

ABC's lineup now include hour-long blocks of familiar shows, with the first half hour being HD and the second being an SD repeat from last season. Since I don't watch everything upconverted to 1080i, I switch back to S-video for SD which I think gives me a better overall picture for those presentations. Switching back and forth is a pain since both the receiver and the tv inputs need to be changed.

How can ABC cancel a show after only 2 airings? I'm much more likely to change channels if forced to watch a repeat of last season than watch a new show in HD that I may not be completely thrilled with.

Seems to me that ABC is floundering a bit this year, leaning heavily on older tried and true sitcoms to keep their lineup going.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Randy,

Quote:
How can ABC cancel a show after only 2 airings? I'm much more likely to change channels if forced to watch a repeat of last season than watch a new show in HD that I may not be completely thrilled with.
Here's an article that talks about "What About Joan" being cancelled and discusses the line up changes that are supposed to be final in November.

I sorta enjoyed "What About Joan" myself, but I can see why it wasn't popular - I found this season's episodes to be more clever than the few they showed last season.

I was just discussing this with a friend yesterday, ABC has had a poor showing in the latest ratings . I usually expect to see "Drew Carey" and "Spin City" on the list. I'm sure "NYPD Blue" will prop them back up a little though.

Roddie

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I'm really getting tried corporations blaming every business problem on Sept 11. according to the article the events of last month were a cause of the show "What About Joan" doing poorly and being cancelled.

Pathetic...

--tony

Looks like the show Bob Patterson will be next; tho they received a second chance, it had ratings nearly the same as What About Joan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.