AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It means "beginner". :)

Forumites - new home with a room in the basement that I am thinking would make a decent theater room. Mostly for movies, maybe X-Box?. No windows anywhere. I come humbly before you to ask - what should I do? Budget will be modest, and I have no preconceptions or prejudices (though I do prefer Tequila)...

Room size: approximately 19' ish x 13'4 ish x 8'8" ceilings (see pics). Above is a mudroom that will contain a powder room and seconday laundry. The room joins the basement mechanical room where I imagine an equipment rack may live (the area at the bottom of the drawing).

Things I think I might want: two rows of seating, no ornate decor. Family CFO abhors any sort of speaker that is visible - so in-wall/in-ceiling :-(

Were it yours to design, what would you recommend?

If Money Were No Object: please PM me about my Go Fund Me campaign :p

Thanks, and looking forward to the many great ideas I'm sure you all will provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Welcome! Lots of good info on this site, but it's easy to get swept away by major things like projectors, speakers, etc... and forget about small details (that become major in the future) like proper electrical, HVAC and future proofing items. One of the best resources on this forum, @BIGmouthinDC is also in N. VA, and it might be worth your while to have him design the room for you since you are a self-proclaimed "beginner"... no offense intended :)

A budget will help us recommend equipment for you. If the CFO doesn't want speakers to be seen, that would typically mean going with an acoustically transparent screen...but if you want to get subs behind that screen as well, it eats into your room and therefore your seating space. Certainly a row of recliner style home theater seats is doable, but two rows may be pushing it unless you go with either a second row of true theater seats (non-reclining) or a bar counter with stools, or alternatively, two rows of sofas. The reasoning has to do with a) the space needed behind a recliner for people to walk and b) keeping the back row off the rear wall enough to let the rear surrounds function properly.

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,849 Posts
It's all good - lately Blanco since my doctor told me to drink more clear liquids 🤪
You may want to try some crystalino tequilas, Anejos that have the color filtered out. I want to try a couple myself. Next time I make the journey to Laurel to pick up some bottles I might try this: https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/tequila/anejo/herradura-ultra-tequila/p/149223750-1?glia=true&s=402&pid=cpc:utm_source=Google:utm_campaign=Shopping+US+MARY+ENG+SPART:utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgJv4BRCrARIsAB17JI6Hnk6q3ZfdLmSvYqA-lMh2qz4jy3aTsJXW9PXMqQZZOofKZhGkEBcaAj4aEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome! Lots of good info on this site, but it's easy to get swept away by major things like projectors, speakers, etc... and forget about small details (that become major in the future) like proper electrical, HVAC and future proofing items. One of the best resources on this forum, @BIGmouthinDC is also in N. VA, and it might be worth your while to have him design the room for you since you are a self-proclaimed "beginner"... no offense intended :)

A budget will help us recommend equipment for you. If the CFO doesn't want speakers to be seen, that would typically mean going with an acoustically transparent screen...but if you want to get subs behind that screen as well, it eats into your room and therefore your seating space. Certainly a row of recliner style home theater seats is doable, but two rows may be pushing it unless you go with either a second row of true theater seats (non-reclining) or a bar counter with stools, or alternatively, two rows of sofas. The reasoning has to do with a) the space needed behind a recliner for people to walk and b) keeping the back row off the rear wall enough to let the rear surrounds function properly.
Thanks for the inputs. Budget is probably going to be in the 30K range, all directed toward function rather than form. Back to the two rows pushing it - an alternative option is to take some space from the rec room as attached. Will the bar area impact the usability at all? Thinking popcorn machine and beverage fridge, never have to leave etc...

Thoughts? If you could start with this blank slate, how would you lay things out?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may want to try some crystalino tequilas, Anejos that have the color filtered out. I want to try a couple myself. Next time I make the journey to Laurel to pick up some bottles I might try this:
Very interesting. I may have to try some. You know, test it out, see how it is. Maybe a couple different distillers just to be sure. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts