AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching around and I saw this. If you are looking for an XP30 this may be your best chance to get one at a reasonable price.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Very interesting - I wonder where they found them! Under $200 for new units with ful warranty - beat the price of used units on EBAY. They claim the original price for XP30 was $500, but thats false - the original MSRP was $300, but most stores discounted them to $200 a year ago, but they ware selling at the discounted price - quite a bargain. One could resell on ebay for quite a profit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks to your advice (on the players) Thumperboy, I just rolled the dice and tried placing and order with them. If this doesn't work out, I'm also considering the CP-70, which I might be able to find locally for about the same price. It appears to be a multi-disc version of the RP-82, but with slightly less features (but the same chipset).

Yeah, those ebay prices are nuts! It seems the best places to find the XPs or the other ones are model closeouts at local stores, or maybe even places like Costco, which tend to sell a generation behind.

Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
Very interesting - I wonder where they found them! Under $200 for new units with ful warranty - beat the price of used units on EBAY. They claim the original price for XP30 was $500, but thats false - the original MSRP was $300, but most stores discounted them to $200 a year ago, but they ware selling at the discounted price - quite a bargain. One could resell on ebay for quite a profit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I ordered an XP30 from Abe's earlier this morning as well. It still said that there were 3 available and still seems to say that now as well so I'm not sure if I'll get one or not. I did receive a confirmation email but I'm sure that's not any indication that there's any left either.

- Charlie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, unless they really have more than 3, I'll bet you they are going to be in shock at the several hundred orders that must have come through this morning. :)

And who knows how long it was up before it hit this forum!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well I called to put in an order to make sure they had any in stock which I already knew they wouldn't but thought I would try.

The salesmen told me that they were out of stock, so I asked if they were going to get more in and he told me that maybe next Tuesday.

I forgot to ask if these were brand new.....just seems to be really cheap to be selling at that price. Are you all sure they are not just refurbished?

Someone else call to see if these were completely brand new!

Zinje

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
They advertise the full warranty! But I just checked and the website says its available in stock - so if thats wrong they are lying!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Order update: I just got notice that my order has shipped ... even got a UPS tracking number. Looks like they had at least one left at 8:30 this morning (EDT). Although there were no details available in the UPS system yet, I should have the package tomorrow (Friday at the latest) since I'm not too far from Abe's.

- Charlie

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine also has shipped and since I'm in Connecticut it looks like it's already out today. Abes of Maine is in Brooklyn NY, and looks to be one of those New York electronics stores that has set themselves up on the net. My only worry is that they'll send me an equivilant to the XP30 rather than the XP30 itself, however considering that they have been turning down orders from other people, it is possible that this is really legit.

I'll let you all know when I get it today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine is out for delivery according to UPS (I'm out on LI). I'll have it by this evening. If they really only had three of them, then perhaps not all that many people jumped on it early yesterday morning. Since the receipt says Panasonic DVD-XP30S Super Slim DVD Player, I don't think they'll just substitute something else. I just hope that the unit is new and not a refurb. or reconditioned product.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Found my XP30 at the front door when I got home this evening. Appears to be factory fresh and unopened. One question though, I can't find any reference to DCDi anywhere on the unit or the documentation that came with it (no logo or anything) ... should this be expected?

- Charlie

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that sticker costs costs about another $100 (denon 1600). I don't think panasonic puts that sticker on any of there dvd players.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PJINMN
I think that sticker costs costs about another $100 (denon 1600). I don't think panasonic puts that sticker on any of there dvd players.
I can certainly live with that. That's $100 I can put toward my Plasma :)

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Its true - Panasonic never mentioned DCDi (with a sticker or in the manual) on any of their players, but its there inside! Just run the Video Essentials flag-waving scene to see that there are no-jaggies compared to other players. You are indeed fortunate to get a brand-new unopened box XP30 for $200, can you check the build date on the back panel sticker? I bought a used XP30 on EBAY a couple weeks ago for $260 and its build date on the back is June 2002. If I had known Abe's would get new ones I would have gotten from them!

·
Registered
181 Posts
The only sticker with a date on it on the back of the unit says June 2002. Sounds like it's been sitting around for quite a while. However, the unit does look brand new ... a sealed bag inside of a sealed box and there's not a mark on the unit anywhere.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's entirely possible that they used the premise of a very limited supply to "help" people make a quick decision to purchase (not that this would have been necessary given the reputation of the unit and its limited availability) ... not that I'm complaining mind you.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Got my 30 back in March for $150...didn't realized that electronics could appreciate. I keep thinking about selling it to get a universal player like the Pioneer 563 or a player with a better audio section since I've discovered in addition to DVD software I can spend money on SACD's and DVD audio discs for my Sony 222ES changer and RP91.

Just can't decide which one to part with and what one to buy. I like them all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, although in their defense, they didn't go and charge $250+ for it, when on ebay used ones are going for that amount.

These New York City electronics retailers as a whole tend to be a dastardly bunch (check out pricegrabber.com buyer reports on them), so I guess it's a small victory when it appears they are offering a legit deal price-wise.

I missed shipment today but will swing by tomorrow to make sure that I'm there when it comes in.

Here is a quick question, the XP30 has optical instead of coaxial connections. For the purposes of DVD playing, this shouldn't make much of a difference because of the compressed nature of DVD sound, correct?

Quote:
Originally posted by charlieg
It's entirely possible that they used the premise of a very limited supply to "help" people make a quick decision to purchase (not that this would have been necessary given the reputation of the unit and its limited availability) ... not that I'm complaining mind you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I received my XP-30 on friday. It was well-packed, although the outside box was a little dinged up, and it had tons of peanuts inside.

The XP-30's box had a small stain on some sort, and the build date was August 2002 (i think), so they've been sitting around for a while.

In any case, the system works perfectly fine. I'm amazed at the differences between this and the Sony player that I returned, especially with progressive scan.

Because this is an older XP-30, are there things that I need to be aware of, like firmware updates, bugs etc?

thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.