Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_53711 /forum/post/0

Abit has listed the AN-M2HD on their TW website.

http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/moth...AM2&DEFTITLE=Y

I hope its released in the US soon.

Just my luck, I just ordered a BioStar TF7050 this weekend. From the photos, the AN-M2HD addresses 2 things that I'm not thrilled about on the TF7050. Those being no firewire and the placement of the ATX power connector. But for my use, the abit is missing a LPT header which the BioStar has that I need to program my universal remote. For my HTPC use, I use the LPT port more than I do firewire. Come to think of it, I've never used my HTPC's firewire port. Also I needed the motherboard now, so I guess the BioStar was still the best choice for me.

Ronnie

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the photos on the website, it looks like they removed the DVI output and put in a HDD15 sub D video out. (Comparing photos from CeBit and their web site.

I still like the fact that it has 4 DIMM slots, Optical SPDIF output, HDMI with HDCP support, Firewire and a logical arrangement of the PCI-E x16, PCI-E x1, and 2-PCI slots.

The big question is how well will the NF7050 chipset do 1080p from HD-DVD and BluRay?

·
Registered
435 Posts

What is the second heatsink on the abit for? Isn't the 7050 PV (northbridge) and 630a (southbridge) on the same piece of silicon? Do you think the large top right heatsink is for the MOSFETs? I'd think a heatsink that large would be for the chipset. The smaller heatsink looks like it's the chipset to me. But kind of on the small side?

Any speculations?

Ronnie

·
Registered
435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnews /forum/post/0

Its a 2 chip chipset, so the top right must be the GPU the bottom left should be the south bridge. SB location is the same as the 6150 layout.

From pcstats review and photos of the BioStar MF7050-M2, it looks like it's a single chip solution?

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2111

"Built on TSMC's 80 nm manufacturing process, nVIDIA was able to integrate the GeForce 7050PV Northbridge and nForce 630a Southbridge into a single tiny slab of silicon."

I know I'm referring to a different board, but it's the same chipset. Are there 2 versions of the 7050 PV/630a chipset?

Ronnie

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looking on Wikipedia there was ~18 months between the 6100 series and this release. I hope they're faster to put the 8 series (specifically PureVideoHD) on a board. Has anyone seen anything other than marketing for the Intel G35 (Experience sharp HD DVD & Blu-ray content, high-definition video quality & usability with improved Intel Clear Video Technology)?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've been watching releases of motherboard products very carefully for both AMD 690G and this new Nvidia chipset. From what I've gathered about this new chipset from Nvidia, it has a slight edge over the AMD 690G, being that it has hardware accelleration for up to 1080p (the 690G can decode 1080p, but not accellerate it, but can accellerate up to 1080i and 720p) and that it supports 12 USB connections (10 on the 690G).

So far, the 'perfect' board I've come accross is a 690G-based board by Gigabyte. It is ATX, has multiple PCI-e x1 ports, has SPIF connections, 3 firewire, internal connections for serial and parrarel, and come with brackets galore for all types of connections, including component video. Best of all, it uses a brand-spanking-new sound codec from Realtec: the ALC889A. The big deal about this new codec is that it supports DTS Connect!

BUT, as I mentioned earlier, it is ATX in form factor - and I am trying to build low-profile, mATX HTPC systems. Hence, this board won't fit in my mATX cases. Now, this new Nvidia chipset offers a big advantage over the AMD 690G - accellerated 1080p, ideal for systems running Blu-ray or HD-DVD! Now, if I can only find a perfect mATX with this new Nvidia chipset... This Abit board is very well a candidate. HDMI is a requirement, so so-far it's passing. Now, the critical question: WHAT SOUND CODEC IS IN IT!?!?

The website says only 'High Definition Sound Codec' and does not name what it has! If, it by any chance has the ALC889A with DTS Connect, it shall be in instant winner for my systems! By the way, over on the 690G side, Saphire makes a near-perfect mATX board with firewire, SPIF, and the only mATX 690G board to include Dolby Digital Live (on the ALC882D). Had they chosen the ALC889A, it would have been the perfect board, since DTS Connect is a better sound quality than DDL.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the AN-M2HD and I am having a problem. When I try to load the Realtek HD audio drivers I get a failure. I called abit and they said to unload all audio devices in safe mode (WinXP Home) and then load the latest drivers from Realtek (1.7 at this time) but I get the same problem. Waiting to hear back from Realtek but Abit only other solution is to send the board back.

Does anyone else have this board yet?

GeoffQ

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffQ /forum/post/0

Ok HDMI sound is now working in XP Pro with the HD Audio driver from RealTek.

GeoffQ,

Since you have the board, can you tell us what is the audio codec? If you go in the Realtek sound mamager, under info you should see the codec. It should appear like ALC 8XXXX something. This will help us.

Thank you,

Charles

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlt /forum/post/0

I've been watching releases of motherboard products very carefully for both AMD 690G and this new Nvidia chipset. From what I've gathered about this new chipset from Nvidia, it has a slight edge over the AMD 690G, being that it has hardware accelleration for up to 1080p (the 690G can decode 1080p, but not accellerate it, but can accellerate up to 1080i and 720p) and that it supports 12 USB connections (10 on the 690G).

So far, the 'perfect' board I've come accross is a 690G-based board by Gigabyte. It is ATX, has multiple PCI-e x1 ports, has SPIF connections, 3 firewire, internal connections for serial and parrarel, and come with brackets galore for all types of connections, including component video. Best of all, it uses a brand-spanking-new sound codec from Realtec: the ALC889A. The big deal about this new codec is that it supports DTS Connect!

BUT, as I mentioned earlier, it is ATX in form factor - and I am trying to build low-profile, mATX HTPC systems. Hence, this board won't fit in my mATX cases. Now, this new Nvidia chipset offers a big advantage over the AMD 690G - accellerated 1080p, ideal for systems running Blu-ray or HD-DVD! Now, if I can only find a perfect mATX with this new Nvidia chipset... This Abit board is very well a candidate. HDMI is a requirement, so so-far it's passing. Now, the critical question: WHAT SOUND CODEC IS IN IT!?!?

The website says only 'High Definition Sound Codec' and does not name what it has! If, it by any chance has the ALC889A with DTS Connect, it shall be in instant winner for my systems! By the way, over on the 690G side, Saphire makes a near-perfect mATX board with firewire, SPIF, and the only mATX 690G board to include Dolby Digital Live (on the ALC882D). Had they chosen the ALC889A, it would have been the perfect board, since DTS Connect is a better sound quality than DDL.

From what I found it's a ALC850

I will do more research but I'm not to hot about that!

Charles

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The ALC850 Codec is a step below their ALC880 series. Hmmm, I'm not sure if that will make a difference in my purchase decision

From http://www.realtek.com.tw

ALC850

AC'97 Rev 2.3 Audio CODEC

General Description

Featuring four 16-bit two-channel DACs and a stereo 16-bit ADC, the ALC850 is an AC'97 Rev 2.3 compatible multi-channel audio CODEC designed for PC multimedia systems. The ALC850 incorporates proprietary converter technology and fully meets performance requirements for PC99/2001 systems.

Four pairs of stereo outputs, with 5-bit volume control and multiple stereo and mono inputs, along with flexible mixing, and gain and mute functions, provide a complete integrated audio solution for PCs. The digital interface circuitry of the ALC850 operates from a low-power consumption 3.3V power supply.

Two integrated 50mW/20ohm headphone audio amplifiers provide high-quality personal audio listening. Utilizing Universal Audio Jack® technology, Line-In and Mic-In can also serve as Headphone-Out with an amplifier advantage.

The ALC850 integrates an on-board dual PLL clock generator (14.318MHz and 24.576MHz), saving the cost of a 24.576MHz crystal. A PCBEEP generator is built-in and can be programmed by the BIOS to generate POST beeps without a buzzer. S/PDIF input and output functions are also supported, offering easy connection of PCs to consumer electronic products such as AC3 decoders/speakers, and mini disk devices.

The ALC850 supports host/soft audio from Intel ICHx chipsets, as well as audio controller-based VIA/SiS/ALi/AMD/nVIDIA/ATI chipsets. Bundled Windows series (98/ME/NT/2000/XP) and Linux drivers, EAX/Direct Sound 3D/I3DL2/A3D compatible sound effect utilities (supporting Karaoke, 26 types of environment sound emulation, 10-band equalizer), HRTF 3D positional audio, and Sensaura 3D (optional), providing an excellent entertainment package and game experience for PC users. In addition, the ALC850 is embedded with an impedance sensing capability to detect when a device has been connected to input or output jacks.

Features

* Meets performance requirements for audio on PC99/2001 systems

* Meets Microsoft WHQL/WLP 2.0 audio requirements

* Eight-channel DA converter (48KHz)

* Stereo AD converter (48KHz)

* Complies with AC'97 Rev 2.3 specifications:

o Jack sensing on Front-Out, Surround-Out, Cen/LFE-Out, Surround-Back-Out, Mic-In, Line-In, and Front-Mic-In

o Clock input support options:

+ 14.318MHz PLL (may be set to 24.576MHz) to eliminate crystal

+ 12.288MHz BITCLK input

o Integrated PCBEEP generator

o Interrupt capability

o Page and analog Plug & Play registers

* Three analog line-level stereo inputs with 5-bit volume control: Line-In, CD, Aux

* High-quality differential CD input

* Two analog line-level mono inputs: PCBEEP, Phone-In

* A dedicated stereo Front-Mic input for front panel applications

* Line-In, Aux, and Mic-In can be shared with Surround-Out, Surround-Back-Out, and Cen/LFE-Out. (FlexJack®)

* +20dB boost preamplifier for Mic input

* Both Front-Out and Surround-Out integrate 50mW/20ohm amplifiers

* External Amplifier Power Down (EAPD)

* Power management and enhanced power saving features

* Stereo Mic record for AEC/BF application

* Supports Power-Off CD operation

* Adjustable VREFOUT control

* Supports 48KHz S/PDIF output

* Supports 32K/44.1K/48KHz S/PDIF input

* Three Universal Audio Jacks (UAJ®): Front-Out, Line-In, and Mic-In

* Six Jack Detect pins for automatic jack sensing

* Power support: Digital: 3.3V; Analog: 3.3V/5V

* Standard 48-pin LQFP package

* EAX 1.0 & 2.0 compatible

* Direct Sound 3D compatible

* A3D compatible

* I3DL2 compatible

* HRTF 3D positional audio

* Sensaura 3D Enhancement (optional)

* 10-band Software Equalizer

* Voice cancellation and key shifting in Karaoke mode

* AVRack® Media Player

* Configuration Panel for enhanced user experience

Applications

* Multimedia PCs

* PC games

* Information appliances (IA)

* Voice recognition

* Audio conferencing

Download Page Links

Datasheets

Reference Designs

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffQ /forum/post/0

Ok HDMI sound is now working in XP Pro with the HD Audio driver from RealTek.

Well sort of. I have been troubleshooting a problem with sound where the audio is behind the video on every video I play in any player (I have tried, Zoom, MPlayer, Sage and Divx). It turns out that it is the HDMI sound which is out of sync. If I listen with the standard analog output the audio and video is in sync. I am on hold with abit right now to see what they say.

I have not been able to get the Spdif working yet but that may be a reciever problem rather than a computer problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesj123 /forum/post/0

Since you have the board, can you tell us what is the audio codec? If you go in the Realtek sound mamager, under info you should see the codec. It should appear like ALC 8XXXX something. This will help us.

codec shows as ALC 888

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have reports that the audio codec is either the ALC850 or ALC888. I downloaded the online manual, nothing is listed.

Can anyone confirm that the AN-M2HD has the Realtec ALC888?

Never mind, I found it on the website. It is the ALC888.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.