AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I build / rebuild / upgrade my computers all the time (5 total in the house at the moment)

About 6 weeks ago I upgraded one of the workstations to bring it in line with the other machines. This upgrade involved replacing the motherboard (to an Abit IS7), replacing the processor (P4 2.8 w/HT 800Mhz fsb), replacing the ram (2 x 512Mb Kingston HyperX DDR400 for dual channel config), replacing the harddrive (to Raptor 36Gb SATA 10,000rpm)

Ended up as a nice machine.

However 3 days later it died. After much part swapping and troubleshooting I found the motherboard and CPU to be dead. Returned them to Frys and got replacements.

5 weeks later again it died. After much part swapping and trouble shooting I found the motherboard to be dead and my Geforce4 ti4600. The ti4600 was out of warrentee so I have to replace it (which I haven't done yet, using an old Geforce3 I had lying around). I go back to Frys with the toasted motherboard and they won't replace it as I am past the 30 days since purchase. Now I really don't want to have to deal with returning it to ABIT, so I get the manager down and with some forceful negotiation get them to replace it. Funny how they do that when they look up your records and see $thousands per year.

Well last night it died again. Shutdown and would not power up. I checked the PSU, it was fine, I checked the case switch it was fine. Then started changing out parts. Again the ABIT motherboard was dead, though this time it had not taken anything with it.

I called Frys and they told me I was SOL and to contact ABIT. Being as I knew there was no way in hell I would ever put another ABIT product in any of may machines EVER I went out to a local store at 8:30 and bought an ASUS P4P800 board. Had to pay the ASUS premium, but damn it there products are solid.

So to recap I have been through 3 ABIT IS7 motherboards in 6 weeks. The motherboard failures have also killed a PIV 2.8Ghz HT 800Mhz fsb processor and a Geforce 4ti4600 graphics card.

I will never, ever buy or knowingly use another ABIT product again. I'm currently waiting for the a customer service manager to call me back, as the regular customer service said I could only get a repair or replacement. To hell with that I want my money back at the very least. So while I am waiting I thought I would rant here.

And before someone mentions it... no it's not crappy power killing these MB's :p I have everything running on a UPS that cost more than I like to admit!

- Rick

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Sheeeeeeeeeeet.

I was thinking of getting an Abit IS7. I might have to think again.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Rick, at my last job we built a ton of "server" machines using Abit boards. Sometime last year, after about 6 months of age, our systems stopped booting. Not all of them, just some.

We got hit by this little disaster: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,933571,00.asp

The shop we bought our Abit boards from does enough business with us that they exchanged them for free, and handled the Abit warrenty returns for us. Just a few weeks after our first batch of machines was replaced another set went. This time the capacitors exploded and leaked all over the motherboard, case and PCI cards. A total mess. We went through 3 or 4 batches of machines like this....

We've got all Abit boards back in those machines, but I no longer work there. :D

After that experience, I'm never going with Abit again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well my Abit KG7 RAID has been on 24hrs non stop for almost 3 years - not even a sniff of a problem.

Using a BH6 in my HTPC without any probs for 3 months.

Im an Epox fan myself - my 8RDA+ is awesome.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Quote:
All Rubycon Capacitors: Several months ago ABIT (as well as other motherboard manufacturers) found themselves with a serious problem on their hands as a faulty batch of capacitors from a major supply company were blowing out much too early (and too often) causing a surge in RMA's. ABIT was one of the few manufacturers that readily admitted being effected by this problem (points for honesty) and, once the situation was dealt with, announced that henceforth they'd be switching to Rubycon capacitors exclusively. This isn't just a PR stunt, as Rubycon is known as an excellent capacitor manufacturer who was unaffected by the failures that plagued other companies. This is a move ABIT made to improve board reliability, and so far it seems to be paying off.
This is a quote from a review on a MAX3 motherboard. I wonder if this is what the problem was. If you want to read the whole review I got it here.

http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=428

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Man that sucks. I wouldn't have gotten a third Abit board if it were me, I would have demaned a different brand, even if I had to pay for an upgrade.

I had a pair of different Apex DVD's go and I told the store in no uncertain terms I didn't want another so I got a different brand altogether.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't care if ABIT are now using ruby coated capacitors... I won't touch another one!

I did check all the failed boards for blown capacitors, none showed signs of physical failure.

Yeah I shouldn't have taken a 3rd ABIT board, but at that time I'd been in Fry's for a couple of hours arguing with people, when I finally got a resolution I took it.

ASUS boards may cost 60% more (in this case) for an equivalent product, but right now that is soooo worth it to me.

- Rick

·
Registered
77 Posts
Krynos,

Don't blame ABIT here.. please. I have been using Abit for 6 years now.

The blame in this case lies with FRY'S! I never by my PC hardware from Fry's cause they sell crap... I know from experience like yours. Even if it doesn't say.. alot of their hardware is refurb or returned from somewhere.

If I buy from Fry's, I stick with things they can't screw up.. like DVD's and CD's :)

My advice is not to give up on Abit based on this experience... just dump Fry's as your main hardware source please... you'll be much happier for it.

Mentat

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
before we bash Abit, you guys better wake up.

this happens to EVERY manufacturer of mobo's ram etc. I hear of it all the time. If you were in the overclocking scene, you would know that ABIT rocks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've had 5 abit boards personally and I know the white box systems in the office I work in all use abit boards and tthey have been running strong since 1998, though this weekend they are rolling out new stuffs. Thank god I don't work in IT there, I'd shooot myself, they do things so ass backwards.

But anyhow, no issues with any abit stuff I've used. I'm typing this on an IC7-G :)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I totally blame ABIT, and I do not blame Fry's.

I've been shopping at frys for years, I have 5 main computers in the house at the moment, and appart from some oddball gear in the HTPC, all the hardware is from Fry's --- the only thing that has ever failed in over 3 years has been these motherboards recently. Not only have they just failed which is bad enough --- they have been taking other pieces of expensive hardware with them.

For clarification - the motherboards in question are the standard IS7 , no G or M or anything.

I don't doubt that a lot of people are happy enough with thier ABIT products, but I am not --- this is the kind of thing that makes a company lose a customer for life, as well as that customer ranting about them to anyone computer savvy.

The CS manager never rang me back, I just called and they said he's gone home for the day now, call again tomorrow.

Well thier US HQ is in Fremont California, I'll be within a few miles of that next week, I'm going to pay them a visit in person.

This is just my chance to rant!!! :p

- Rick

·
Registered
434 Posts
That's odd, I've never heard of 3 motherboards dying in such a short period of time, from any brand and especially Intel chipsets, unless they are shorted. And destroying a cpu and video card. That's even more outrageous.

I think there is something else going on.

MentatGom is right, Fry's sell a lot of refurb crap, especially motherboards.

Which stands more likely then Abit being at fault. Otherwise experiences like yours would be all over the forums.

I'm in the Abit forums everyday and have never heard of anyone else experiencing close to what you have.

I've heard of machines shuting down due to bad power supplies, memory, etc.

What power supply are you running anyway?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would check your voltage outputs on your PSU. I have had numerous Abit boards through the years and the only thing I ever had wrong was an early BE6-II memory problem which was common with the first batch. I have an NF7-s in my main system an IS7 in my server and will be getting another NF7-s for my HTPC.

Any mass produced product will have its bad batch of components.

Sorry you had bad luck and enjoy whomever you go with next.

·
Registered
27 Posts
have setup 5 new machines with IS7 (1 IC7-G) for different pepole, including my HTPC. It has worked great. I consider it to be the best motherboard I have ever worked with. Any problems I encountered turned out to be other hardware people insisted on using from previous pc (power supply, video card and in one case a bad XP cd)

I bought an Asus P4PE for work about 4 months ago, and this Abit board is a lot more stable.

All motherboard manufacturers have their unique problems.

I stopped buying from Fry's a long time ago, since a lot of their stuff seemed to be refurbished or open box items.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Quote:

And before someone mentions it... no it's not crappy power killing these MB's :p I have everything running on a UPS that cost more than I like to admit!

- Rick [/b]

PEBCAk

Learn some rudimentary computer skills before flying off the handle and looking foolish.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesmil
For what its worth, I've had a Abit IS7 board in my HTPC since June and have had zero problems with it.
Ditto on that. Same RAM, different SATA HDD but no probs to report as yet.

Warren

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Damn, I have been running Abit's for years, starting with a BP6, dual celeron board. I have had zero problems with them. I am typing on an IS7 that has been up and operating since June, running 24/7. 2.4C at 250fsb for 3.0.

Some have better luck with certain mfgrs. I have generally had bad luck with Asus, but my HTPC is an Asus A7N266-VM, running just great 24/7 for almost 6 months now.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.