AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to set up a dedicated Media Room that is about 11X24 w/8' ceiling. There are 4 windows in it that put in a good amount of light (3 behind and 1 to the side), so that could be a problem. I am trying to decide between the Samsung hln617w and a front projector system. I've done a lot of research about the Sammy but I don't know much about the PJ's. Help me pick out a PJ system with a screen. The screen has to fit in a space about 72" wide. It can be a perm. screen too, it doesn't have to hide.

The sitting area is about 10' from where the screen will be, and I can either mount the PJ on the ceiling in front of the sitting area or behind. I will have no mounting problems either way. Although there is a ceiling fan directly over the sitting area.

I would like it to be 16:9 because mostly it will be used for DVD and HDTV.

Also I need it to have component inputs, DVI inputs, and RGB inputs, and a wireless remote.

Ok that's about all I can think of right now, so lets see some recommendations. The $4500 needs to cover the screen, PJ, shipping, tax etc...

or is the sammy a better option for my room???

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I'd say look at the Optima H56, Infocus 5700, BenQ 7800 (hasnt released yet) if you are looking for DLP technology.. or the Sony HS20 if you looking for LCD..

Start with projectorcentral.com for general info and professional reviews.. then come back here for more specialized/specific questions..

good luck..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I need HDCP DVI, I have a samsung HD931 DVD player and Hughes HTL-HD for HDTV via Directv.

I'll check out projectorcentral, thanks

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
JCJohnson,

Unless you can completely block the light from the windows behind you, FP is not going to be a good idea. Of course, RPTV's are also going to have terrible glare problems with light directly behind the viewing area. The problem with windows directly behind (I'm assuming behind the seating area) is that none of the FP screens can reject light that is coming from that direction. They are all meant to amplify light coming from directly behind you. RPTV is somewhat better in this regard as they do have screens that are supposed to reject light coming from behind the seating area.

I would not consider FP in your particular room unless you can completely block the light from behind you.

Russ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know that is an excellant point that I did not consider. I knew that light could be problem but I didn't know to what extent. That makes total sense that the screen would reflect it back. Thanks

I might just have to go with the Sammy

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You can get by with some mini-blinds (or any blinds for that matter, I prefer cellular shades) and a higher gain screen if you want to do FP.

Though it seems that the RPTV would be better in your case. Keep in mind though that the Sammy will have problems with the windows behind you as well. It's best to do something about them.

Russ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.