AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my wife and I added three TVs to a basement project. We added two 43" Vizio M43-C1 4K TVs and the 75" version which is also 4K. Our other five TVs in the house are of the 1080p variety, two of which use nothing but coax cable connections. So, my setup is as follows:

Bonus Room: 1080p, Xbox 360 (MCE Extender), Xbox One.
Bedroom: 1080p, Xbox 360 (MCE Extender), Denon 1613
Office: 4K, Ceton Echo MCE Extender, Denon S710
Living Room: 1080p, Ceton Echo MCE Extender, Denon 1913
Theater: 4K, Windows 7 MCE, Denon 7200WA

Total 4 extenders and a directly connected TV to the media center. Ceton has gone silent since 2013. They support the products but there hasn't been a single announcement from them and they've given up the fight to get Echo working on Windows 8. Windows 10 all but assures the InfiniTV and Ceton Echo product lines will die. If this isn't the case, Ceton isn't telling anyone about it. As far as I can tell, they'll be out of business in a year or so.

So I'm looking for a replacement and the Tivo Bolt seems to be the only real option. I figure I'll upgrade my Media Center to Windows 10 and convert it to a file server for pictures, music and such. (I've got about 500GB of data but that figure grows yearly from cell phones that can now take 4K video.)

My questions are, can I put 4 Tivo Minis on a single Bolt and have them all running at the same time on different features?
Can I watch recorded TV, streaming Netflix and live TV on different TVs at the same time?
Will the Tivo Mini support DD+ from streaming services?

In general, can I use the Tivo Bolt to replace a Windows MCE solution that is working but is not as functional in todays walled gardens of apps. No streaming service outputs Dolby Digital Plus on Windows 7 using any browser app. Upgrade to Windows 8 and my Echos die but I get DD+ through Windows 8 Metro apps. That said, PlayReady 3.0 is primed but not out yet. Do I just hang on for another 6 months to a year, skip Tivo all together and wait for whatever PlayReady 3.0 will bring to the DVR market/PC? Looking for options. Live TV is a must for me. I'm a huge Patriots fan and the NFL's draconian streaming policies are a deal breaker for me cutting the cord totally.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
4 mini's will connect to a tivo bolt but think about the usage scenario.

- the bolt only has 4 tuners, since the mini's takes a tuner from the bolt to watch live tv, you cant watch live tv on the 5 TV's. someone is not watching live tv and it will be on a mini since the bolt has priority over the tuners.

- all 4 mini's can watch recorded shows from the bolt while the bolt is recording 4 things, live tv, etc.

- the mini has netflix built in so it wont interfere with the bolt and it does dd+

- you can do multiple actions on all those minis connected to a bolt. one can do netflix, the other hulu, the other plex, the other live tv, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts