AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do dvd recorders with OTA digital tuners pass thru the HD digital signal in non-record mode? my tuner box bit the dust and i need something simple.

·
Registered
13,359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithysmythe /forum/post/18279807

do dvd recorders with OTA digital tuners pass thru the HD digital signal in non-record mode? my tuner box bit the dust and i need something simple.

What does your question really mean. Are you asking if a DVD recorder with digital tuner can take the place of your dead HD tuner? The answer to that is no. The digital tuners in all DVD recorders only output SD. The passthrough wajo is referring to is simple passthrough of the Rf signal coming from the coax so you can daisy chain components instead of using a splitter.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
This still may not be clear to smthysmythe, so lets put it another way: the Magnavox H2160 cannot replace your dead HDTV tuner if what you want is another outboard tuner that will tune channels in true HD and output those tuned channels in true HD via line or RF. If used as an external tuner, the Magnavox can only provide a down-scaled SD output signal to your TV display or other connected device. It is a very nice SD signal, and you can choose 4:3 or 16:9, but its not true HD so perhaps not what you wanted.

The pass-thru feature is only for the raw coax feed from your antenna, cable or satellite service. This allows the Magnavox to tap an HDTV broadcast signal for its own internal SD tuner conversion, while passing the full HDTV RF feed to another connected tuner or PC that can decode true HD.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you guys for helping me out here. Tho the magnavox sounds great what I am looking for is outputting HD through either HDMI or component; like my cheap OTA tuner did. Its just for the occasion when I want to run HD locals on my projector without having to re do my set up (it was perfect until my radio shack accurian gave up the ghost...hard to believe no other units like that exist) Enjoy your night Ladies and Gentlemen, watch Lost and some good Blurays!

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
You want to check out this thread . I believe the most popular current HD tuner would be the Centronics. They should all do OTA, Cable QAM is more difficult to find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts