Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys !!!

Thanks for your replies !!! what i was wondering about with the yamaha HTR-5740 was that i find when im watching a dvd and i set it to dolby digital

that it doesnt sound as good as when i have it set to 6 channel audio,and the same whenm i use the DTS modes. I`m pretty sure that i have gone through all the settings for my speakers and such but the surround just doesnt seem to sound very good unless i have it set to 6 channel mode.

Have you guys had the same experience or is it just that my system is`nt just set up right ? . Any Information you can give me would be great Thank-you.

P.S. by the way i have a 51" hitachi 51s500 widescreen, yamaha htr-5740 av receiver,with pioneer csv925 tower speakersd for my front L+R,audio source 5.1 surround sound system (cheap i know,i know lol) and rca progressive scan dvd player (using component video to tv). if that helps in anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

I also have that receiver. I also am NOT happy with the various sound outputs. I beleive that I don't have an understanding of the (almost too!) many different soundfields that this receiver has available. In my infamouse spare time--I want to pursue getting it set up correctly and/or learn to understand it better. The one thing I've noticed is that it appears to be fine with a 6.1 DVD---it's the 5.1 OTA stuff that sounds bad (No or VERY little surround) One person told me that the 5.1 OTA stuff is really generally not that good. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also had some issues setting up my 5740 system for desireable surround sound effect.

First I was having an issue getting my dvd digital audio to work correctly, I think I was using the wrong cable (pcm cable from radio shack). So I went out and bought a digital coax cable, hooked it up, set my dvd player to bitstream and vuila! The receiver was now in DTS mode with Pirates of the Carribean. The reveiver display lit up all nice and pretty with DTS/Digital lights, my first experience with a recent major audio format other than dolby. Things did sound a lot different from using dvd analog in simulated 6.1 surround. First off the center sounded more accurate, but maybe not as loud, I probably need to adjust the center volume up a notch or two. Also very a noticeable difference is the surround panning, and front/rear effects, they are more accurate, and much louder. I am still learning the setup, and trying to make tweaks to improve the system but so far it's just trial and error for the most part. If someone has a good basic guide to follow for system setup please share some info. To note I'm using Athena micra 6 speakers + sub, and I'll mention it again that these speakers are awesome! Sub is awesome! Very impressed by the Athenas, they still have another 90hours of breakin time then I'll push them a little bit harder. Thanks for starting the thread I know I'm going to have more questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.