AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched this over the weekend, and was genuinely surprised at how good it was. Normally, I don't care for time travel movies, but like Safety Not Guaranteed before it, the film-makers have taken a fresh, quirky, and unique story, melded it with believable and interesting characters, tossed in some clever dialog, and turned it all into a satisfying and entertaining movie.

The acting is all top-rate, other than Bill Nighy maybe, who's very likeable, but plays the character a bit too close to himself. Not to say it was a bad performance, but rather typical. Domhnall Gleeson was sharp and witty, reminding me of an English version of John Krasinski. Rachel McAdams played the role of Mary perfectly as the movie progressed, blending plain, smart, flirty, and sexy into her well-rounded character. The supporting cast was also fresh and bright, helping bring life to the script's rich and varied characters.

The story is filled with humor, love, and sadness, all contributing to this charming tale. Not huge in scope, but interesting and thought-provoking in ways that each of us can relate too.

This is a recommended rental for anyone looking for a fun, small film with a heart, which just happens to involve time travel.

Scott

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000  /t/1521833/about-time#post_24461999

time travel movies... Rachel McAdams

This is her second!

My wife bailed when it turned from rom-com to something more serious. I haven't finished it yet.

-Bill

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain  /t/1521833/about-time/0_60#post_24462628

This is her second!
I only wish I could have a Time Machine and go back 30 years so I could woo her.

She is the cutest little thing around and sexier than all get out.

I first fell in love with her in Red Eye.

Watched it last night too and completely agree with Scott about this movie.

BTW, the Director/Writer is Richard Curtis....the same guy who did the classic Love Actually.

More please, Mr. Curtis....

·
Registered
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1521833/about-time#post_24463541

I only wish I could have a Time Machine and go back 30 years so I could woo her.

You didn't see The Notebook? OMG, like you, I've been in love ever since. This sits atop my queue. Can't wait.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens  /t/1521833/about-time/0_60#post_24463623

You didn't see The Notebook?
From what little I have seen, I don't know if I could handle the emotions well....

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,269 Posts

Quote:

Really? I guess it takes all kinds...

-Bill

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain  /t/1521833/about-time/0_60#post_24464455

Really? I guess it takes all kinds...

-Bill
For those wishing to "see" beneath those hands, there is images on the net....

·
Registered
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1521833/about-time#post_24464363

From what little I have seen, I don't know if I could handle the emotions well....

One of my favorite love stories of all time. Worth every tear you will shed.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens  /t/1521833/about-time/0_60#post_24464643

One of my favorite love stories of all time. Worth every tear you will shed.
I dunno....it seems like it might hit a little too close to home.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1521833/about-time#post_24464659

I dunno....it seems like it might hit a little too close to home.

as if we didn't already know you're a sensitive one...

(I haven't seen it either, but I'm such a wuss I know I'll cry
)

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo  /t/1521833/about-time/0_60#post_24464868

as if we didn't already know you're a sensitive one...

(I haven't seen it either, but I'm such a wuss I know I'll cry
)
What can I say?

If a swine can shed tears, anything is possible in the ether.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Excellent film. This is a man's version of a rom-com, with a smart, philosophical message about how to live your life each moment. Loved the father-son moments and chats. Take note that you might end up with a lump in your throat.

Richard Curtis is an outstanding writer and film maker.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007  /t/1521833/about-time/0_60#post_24465690

Excellent film. This is a man's version of a rom-com, with a smart, philosophical message about how to live your life each moment. Loved the father-son moments and chats. Take note that you might end up with a lump in your throat.

Richard Curtis is an outstanding writer and film maker.
+10000000

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:

+1. I first saw Rachel McAdams in Red Eye too and was smitten. I later saw her in Mean Girls and something else, but in About Time she is adorable, gorgeous, cute, sexy, and smart all in one. That's hard to pull off, but she does it in spades. Perfect girl to take home to meet you mom (and then to take home for yourself).

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain  /t/1521833/about-time#post_24462628

This is her second!

My wife bailed when it turned from rom-com to something more serious. I haven't finished it yet.

-Bill

The wife and I watched this film several weeks ago and thought it was okay. No one bawled or cried in our home. It had the traits of a Spielberg movie, purposefully intended to elicit an emotional response. I don't like to be manipulated this way if that's the sole reason for the storyline. It came as no surprise afterward to find it had come from the director of a another schmaltzy hit Love Actually. Although I will admit to having a fondness for Four Weddings and a Funeral which Curtis wrote but did not direct.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007  /t/1521833/about-time/0_60#post_24467264

in About Time she is adorable, gorgeous, cute, sexy, and smart all in one. That's hard to pull off, but she does it in spades. Perfect girl to take home to meet you mom (and then to take home for yourself).
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G  /t/1521833/about-time/0_60#post_24467832

The wife and I watched this film several weeks ago and thought it was okay. No one bawled or cried in our home. It had the traits of a Spielberg movie, purposefully intended to elicit an emotional response. I don't like to be manipulated this way if that's the sole reason for the storyline. It came as no surprise afterward to find it had come from the director of a another schmaltzy hit Love Actually. Although I will admit to having a fondness for Four Weddings and a Funeral which Curtis wrote but did not direct.
I guess he isn't your cup of tea....

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1521833/about-time#post_24468204

I guess he isn't your cup of tea....

Reading my last post it seems I came off as a curmudgeon about this movie. I paid $6 for a VUDU rental as a Valentine's Day gift for the wife and it got a luke-warm response. I should have researched it more. I like Rachel McAdams and was expecting something else which may be why we came away disappointed.

The movie is enjoying an over 80% approval from fans at RT so evidently we're the outliers here.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G  /t/1521833/about-time/0_60#post_24472133

Reading my last post it seems I came off as a curmudgeon about this movie. I paid $6 for a VUDU rental as a Valentine's Day gift for the wife and it got a luke-warm response. I should have researched it more. I like Rachel McAdams and was expecting something else which may be why we came away disappointed.

The movie is enjoying an over 80% approval from fans at RT so evidently we're the outliers here.
If everyone agreed with everyone else what would be the point of posting on the Internet?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Watched this one last night and really enjoyed it a lot. It did have considerable emotional impact in a number of spots, mixed in with a lot of good humor. It's not going to set the world on fire, but well worth a couple hours, IMO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts