AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 1 year reading posts here, I'm about to buy a Sony vpl cs3 PJ.

This PJ doesn't allow ceiling mount, so I will have it behind my couch, above my head. I will have to tilt it slightly downwards to get the anamorphic picture at eye level. But the brochure to this projector states that it will only do keystone adjustment up to +15 degrees, some others say they will do it +/- 15 degrees.

I wonder as this is a tabletop projector, what does the + 15 means? Probably being tabletop it means it can compensate tilting up not down, the models that state +/- will keystone up and down, but what does the +15 means?

I would appreciate any input on this because I can get a good deal with this PJ and the image is ok to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I owned a Sorry VPL-CX1 (XGA, 550 lumens, LCD) and it's very good. I since upgraded to LT150 due to better contrast and less dead pixel risks (CX1 had 1-2 dead pixels). I'd advise you to go for the CX1 as it's the same price as CS3 which is an SVGA LCD. The increase in brightness won't help as much as the XGA would. The XGA LCD had screendoor that can be seen at 12 feet for 100" wide image. If SVGA, screendoor can be seen at 14-15 feet with same image size. CX1 is now priced at $1500 brand new. May be your SVGA CS3 can be had cheaper. With HDTV coming you will need the extra resolution of XGA. My CX1 did well with Svideo DVD (16:9 squeeze mode works great with anamorphic DVDs), composite VHS and analog cable tuning via VCR, and VGA via HTPC or RCA DTC-100 (HDTV receiver). It does not do ceiling mount and only does keystone one way vertically. Meaning if you are projecting upward it can correct this keystone but NOT projecting downward. I believe CS3 is similar to CX1 except for the SVGA panel. You'd better check to be sure. My unit was on a shelf off the rear wall about 2 feet above my head (54" from ground), and noise was tolerable without distraction. To correct for downward keystoning, I pulled the bottom my screen outward about 12" using bungie cord and dumbells. Even if my unit could correct digitally the keystone from projecting downward, I would not advise it as digital keystoning degrades the image significantly. It's better if you move the screen or PJ to correct keystoning. Black masking is also helpful to keep a straight edge. The degrees you mentioned suggests that CS3, like CX1, will only correct up to 15 degrees while projecting upward 15 degrees from table (positive 15 degrees). Others like LT150 said +/- 15 degrees which means it'll do both up and down keystoning correction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tanks for the help.

I'm going to check out other alternatives, what you said makes sense, it's better to have more resolution than more light output, especially because light control is not an issue. The thing is that I live in Portugal and this kind of stuff here is way overpriced, the LT 150 is almost 5000 USD here and the Sony CS3 is is about 2500, scary isn't it?And we tend to make less money. not that we are underpayed, it's just that this kind of equipment is very expensive.

Anyway I'm working with computers and can get great prices on Sony and Optoma PJs. I´m going to have to take a look at some other options, maybe CX2. It´s a bummer that I can't correct the image downwards, I´ll have to change the layout of the room.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.