AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, you read the thread title right. I have bought Oblivion 2 separate times, and sold it later only to regret it. This time, I plan on doing it right and getting the game of the year version with the Shivering Isles pack. I can't help it, I really miss the game. For all its shortcomings, it is so well made and immersive with so much to do that I can't help but miss it. From poisoning the guards with poisoned apples to smashing a heavy mace over an innocent bystandard's head, I can't help but miss the experience. Throw in that great music and the graphics and it's a no brainer

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The beauty of Oblivion is that you can put 200 hours into the game and still not see everything. Even once you beat it, you can create an entirely new character with different attributes and the experience will be new and fresh again. I still have my original copy of Oblivion. Pound for pound, it's my favorite game on the 360 and I never had the heart to sell it.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
maybe you can hold out for Fallout 3.....

then sell it......

then rebuy it.....

then sell it.....

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I play the PC version all the time, its a game you can play for a week straight then leave it for a month and come back as you feel the need. With the right mods, HDR and 8xq AA the PC version is still in the top tier for graphics also.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
No worries Double W, I've purchased the game twice (2nd time when GOTY version came out).

Enjoy.

If you want full immersion, wait for a 100 degree day, turn off your AC, go shirtless with a 6 pack and a massive bag of Doritos, and don't leave your chair for 8 hours.

You'll feel the humidity of the Isles, relish the salty crisp taste of swamp rat, and enjoy the mind altering effects of skooma. All in the comfort of your damp seat.

-JR

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Have you played Morrowind lately?

If you don't mind the last-gen graphics there is a lot of fun there. Just flying over the countryside swatting clift racers (they swarm like mosquitos!) can be a lot of fun and sweeping over Azura's shrine is a real experience unto itself...

·
Registered
671 Posts
You guys and your Oblivion posts just keeps reminding me that I bought it new 1.5 years ago have still not opened it to play it. Damb COD4 and RB taking up all my time this year
Crap I have 5 other games that I bought last year and have still not opened them to play

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLUNKDM /forum/post/14268813

You guys and your Oblivion posts just keeps reminding me that I bought it new 1.5 years ago have still not opened it to play it. Damb COD4 and RB taking up all my time this year
Crap I have 5 other games that I bought last year and have still not opened them to play

You know, if you can turn over that much of your life to those kinds of games, odds are Oblivion is *not* the kind of game you're going to enjoy.

No guns.

No online.

And you have to work really really hard to get anything to explode.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket /forum/post/14266015

No worries Double W, I've purchased the game twice (2nd time when GOTY version came out).

Enjoy.

If you want full immersion, wait for a 100 degree day, turn off your AC, go shirtless with a 6 pack and a massive bag of Doritos, and don't leave your chair for 8 hours.

You'll feel the humidity of the Isles, relish the salty crisp taste of swamp rat, and enjoy the mind altering effects of skooma. All in the comfort of your damp seat.

-JR

Awesome post, Juice.

·
Registered
888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/14269313

You know, if you can turn over that much of your life to those kinds of games, odds are Oblivion is *not* the kind of game you're going to enjoy.

No guns.

No online.

Exactly describes my experience with Oblivion. I bought it twice before I realized I'm not into the graphics and feel of the game itself, no matter how much content the game provides. I realized I want action and (good) sports games, and role-playin' games like....Mass Effect, oh yeah! Can't wait for Fallout 3! Hopefully Whiskey, you don't end up regretting your decision to buy it...again.

Basically, the action just seemed kind of wonky,and I'm not really into magic and spells. I like the sword stylings of Assassin's Creed much better. And, it took too long to level up in Oblivion. I hope Fable 2 has similar sword combat to AC.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc /forum/post/14269361

Awesome post, Juice.

Glad you liked it. It's actually a true "story". My good friend who I lived with years ago had a night job for the summer. In Boston, it'd get up in the high 90's with high humidity, and when I'd leave for work he'd be sitting, shirtless, in this dank ratty chair playing Oblivion.

I'd come home, and he'd be in the same chair, only now covered with a nice sheen of all-day sweat, with an empty bag of Doritos and bottles of beer at his feet.

It might sound disgusting, but I was always a bit jealous.

Ken, if you ever read this - love you man!

-JR

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/14267358

Have you played Morrowind lately?

If you don't mind the last-gen graphics there is a lot of fun there. Just flying over the countryside swatting clift racers (they swarm like mosquitos!) can be a lot of fun and sweeping over Azura's shrine is a real experience unto itself...

Memories...loved it. It is probably the first game that brought the pleasure of exploring the real world and taking in sights to the PC.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Morrowind had probably the best storyline of any adventure game I've played. I'm hesitant to get into Oblivion because I just don't know if they can top the story.

·
Registered
671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/14269313

No guns.

No online.

Actually I love these type of games, I just don't have the time to put into it. I like spending hours at a time playing, were games like COD4 are just pickup and play for a bit. I will get around to it. The posts just makes me want to start playing it, but I have GTA4 to finish first and then I might start on it. I love all type of games my self.........

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/14272175

Morrowind had probably the best storyline of any adventure game I've played. I'm hesitant to get into Oblivion because I just don't know if they can top the story.

Oh, the Oblivion storylines run nicely.

The difference is that where Morrowind was built primarily around one monster story, Oblivion has one central story *and* several other shorter ones, all set in the same environment. All are shorter than the main quest in Morrowind (and you can't fly--sob!) but there is a bit more variety in the quest lines; Knights of the nine in particular has some welcome puzzle based challenges and Shivering Isles is a whole new realm with its own main quest.

Basically, Oblivion is at heart a rebalanced streamlined Morrowind set in the heart of the Empire. There are less attributes and less gear to deal with; the magic and enchantment systems have been tweaked (Morrowind *strongly* favors Enchanters, Oblivion slightly favors Spellcasters, if at all; best approach is a combo). And, of course, Oblivion has re-spawning leveling threats where Morrowind had one-pass monsters. You never quite run out of threats in Oblivion.

And, of course, there are the gateworlds; if you really want to (I did) you can delay completing the main quest until every last possible Oblivion gate has appeared (60-some) and been closed. Lots of Daedra butt to be kicked and lots of different transcendant stones to be collected. An extra questline unto itself, collecting all 25 types.(The leveling enemies thing so decried by some means the experience is different if you play with a low-level character or a high-level one.)

Anybody who liked Morrowind should like Oblivion and vice-versa.

There are *not* the same game; they don't play the same.

But they do have the same overall flavor and offer equivalent fun.

And anybody who played one should at least try the other.

·
Banned
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got in a nice session last night. This game really helps me unwind after a tough day. Just grab the controller, fire up the projector with the surround sound on and take in the different world. Then I run out of beer

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/14273290

Oh, the Oblivion storylines run nicely...

Thanks! I will get around to it, probably when the PC bundle gets really cheap. I'm not a fan of respawning monsters, but I can get used to it. Truth be told I need to upgrade my video card beyond my 7600 GS.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
My only gripe with Oblivion was that the skill tree and the leveling process felt like it was kind of "dumbed down" from Morrowind. You can only train 5 times per level, so it now takes way longer to get your skill up high, which I suppose is why they made it way. Other than that, and the no flying
, its one hell of an RPG.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Sucks about no flying. The only real time I "cheated" in Morrowind was to take an exquisite ring, make and drink tons of potions to boost my enchantment to ungodly levels, and then enchant it with permanent levitation (maybe a speed combo also - very fuzzy memory). Rarely wore it but would frequently put it on to just "check out" what was up there over that ridge line, what a city looked like from above, or take in the sights like Azura's Shrink. Maybe that's more of an exploit than cheating but I'd do it all over again in a second.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts