AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to quality speakers and looking to replace my old HTIB setup. I've done alot of reading up on this forum and I've pieced together the following:

Athena setup:

WS-60 for the Center

2x LS-300's for the fronts

2x LS-100's for the surrounds

About $455 after shipping + I would get a VX-10 sub

I was also considering an Energy setup:

C-C50 for the Center

4x C-100's for the fronts and surrounds

About $345 after shipping and I would add an esw-10 sub

Problem with the c-c50/c-c100 though is that it would be too high to fit in front of my samsung 750. There is only 5" of height from the stand to the tv and the center is 5.75" high. How the heck does anyone fit the large center speakers in front of their tv? Also I kind of need floor standing speakers for the front because I have nothing to sit bookshelf speakers on but I could always get stands if I do get bookshelf speakers right?

My budget is about $600 but preferably under. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
As stated above, you could mount the TV or center channel on the wall. If you mount the TV you can use a mount from monoprice.com for about $30. There's a thread on them in the plasma forum I started at this link . Of course you can always use a more expensive mount if it gives you better peace of mind.

If you opt to leave the TV on its pedestal and mount the speaker on the wall above the TV, alot of people use a wall mount for a small CRT TV like this one .

And yes you could use speaker stands if you went with bookshelves instead of towers.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnx /forum/post/15434517

Hello, I'm new to quality speakers and looking to replace my old HTIB setup. I've done alot of reading up on this forum and I've pieced together the following:

Athena setup:

WS-60 for the Center

2x LS-300's for the fronts

2x LS-100's for the surrounds

About $455 after shipping + I would get a VX-10 sub

I was also considering an Energy setup:

C-C50 for the Center

4x C-100's for the fronts and surrounds

About $345 after shipping and I would add an esw-10 sub

Problem with the c-c50/c-c100 though is that it would be too high to fit in front of my samsung 750. There is only 5" of height from the stand to the tv and the center is 5.75" high. How the heck does anyone fit the large center speakers in front of their tv? Also I kind of need floor standing speakers for the front because I have nothing to sit bookshelf speakers on but I could always get stands if I do get bookshelf speakers right?

My budget is about $600 but preferably under. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!

My New Years gift to you. You can get free shipping if you buy those Athenas from Audio Advisor thru Amazon.com

LS-300 $88.88 each
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...0858842&sr=8-1

LS-100 $99.99/pr
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...0859031&sr=1-1

WS-60 $99.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...0859306&sr=1-1

That's $377.74 shipped.

The Velodyne VX-10 is fine but I think the Energy ESW-10 is a little better sub. $160 shipped. So your total for the whole system would be $537.
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._84__0_0_0_-1/

The ESW-10 goes down to 28hz while the Velodyne goes down to 36Hz. So you'll get deeper bass from the Energy.

You're not going to find many center speakers under 5" tall. The Athena WS-60 really isn't the matching center for those LS-300's. The C-C100 is but it would be too tall for your needs. Plus its hard to find. Unless you have a way to elevate your TV it will be tough to get a standard center below it.

Maybe you could mount the center on a wall above the TV? On mount the TV on a wall?

If you do figure out a way to make space for a larger center, you can get this complete Energy system for $599 shipped.
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._84__0_0_0_-1/

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Free shipping FTW! The tv is in a corner so wall mounting is pretty much out. I'm sure I could get a thick board or something to raise the tv an inch or two. Your right, I could not find a c-c100 at a reasonable price. How would a c-c50 fair? Better than a WS-60?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I have the WS-100s in my den system with the WS60 center and surrounds and the imaging is amazing for the price. The tonal balance is nice as well but the bass response is a little soft. Yet it works for me with a sub crossed at 100hz. I have no doubt that the Ls series have better bass response but the imaging created by the thin baffle WS series is really something to hear. I bought mine simply based on asthetics and limited placement options and i gotta say it was a good shot in the dark.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That HTiB in the pic is going straight into a garage sale. I'll put the towers on each side of the tv and hopefully the right one won't be too close to the fireplace. The bookshelf speakers I'll probably get stands for and put them on either side of the couch (pic was taken from behind the couch). I don't know where the subs going to go yet... Any suggestions on speaker placement?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.