Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the situation.

It's a classic what I want versus what she wants.

In image one is the layout that I would like to have. The problem is she doesn't want the sofa in front of the fireplace. So the only other option with layout one would be to angle the seats so there isn't direct seating in front of the television.

http://www.bryanmc.com/images/livingroom1.jpg

Image Two:

This would work except as you can see to the left of the television there is a large opening out to the sunroom. My question on this layout would be, would the front mains work all the way on either side of the room right up next to the walls?

http://www.bryanmc.com/images/livingroom2.jpg

I've got PSB Image 5T tower speakers for the front mains.

Any thoughts on what to do would be great. Really I want to know if situation 2 would work with the speakers all the way against the side walls, angled in.

Thanks!

-sorry about the size of these pics

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
With the latter arrangement and the speakers up against the wall - our sonics will suck. But you will still be married. Do you have any kids???

Have you tried offering your wife something else new and expensive that she wants???

Good luck.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I cannot see the intimate details of your room such as window and door placement, however, I have found that the female of the species generally is much happier with In Walls and perhaps a non visible Subwoofer. Take 2 In Walls, take 1 Subwoofer and call me in the morning. This really can work wonders for a marriage. As for the PSB's? Move them to another room, or else I'm sure you could find a better home for them on eBay. I had the same problem. Got rid of the floor standing godzillas, took a cruise, renewed our vows, and presto, everything is pretty much normal.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No windows in the room or any doors.

The gaps in the walls are openings to other rooms.

I guess, though this is killing me, the way to go is option one and just not have the optimum seating.

She doesn't mind the fact that the speakers are monsters and out on the floor. The real issue is that $#@% fireplace and not being able to have a couch in front of it.

I was trying to think if I could build some kind of track in the floor that the couch could sit on. That way it could be situated 90 degrees to the fireplace then swung around to be in front of the TV when ready.

I guess the real question is do I go for the better audio solution or viewing solution. I guess the furniture is easier to move in time of movies than putting up with subpar sound.

So if the word is the acoustics will be garbage with the fronts in the corners like situation 2, then I guess I'll have to make one work somehow.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hello Bryanmc,

I would go with the option 1 and move the couch when you are going to sit down for a movie.

Another more expensive option would be to buy a Front projection with a drop down screen and have the couch on the other side and the drop down screen to cover the fireplace when you watch a movie.

Or another option would be to buy a used Plasma TV and put it above the fire place.

I know these are more expensive options but I am trying to think outside the box. Plus it is more fun with a front projection especially when you can control light intake.

Just my 2cents, Brian

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyP
What is the box around the fire place
That entire wall is brick (under the mantle). The actual fireplace is the box indicated. Some brick comes out about 18 inches from the wall and is about 2 feet high making a kind of brick bench along the wall.

So another lugnut in the works is in situation 2 the front right main would actually be sitting up on this brick bench.

The more I look at it the more I'm thinking of option 1. It just kills me to not have a seat right in front of the television. I'm the guy that gets to the movie an hour ahead of time and counts the seats to get the exact middle.

Oh well. Time to start saving for the garage/HT conversion...

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Could the TV be put on that bench beside the fire place? this will force a non centered room. You said in a pervious post that the hole in the wall is the doorway, does that mean that all four of them are doorways? There is always bkwong73's solution. You can even make a case to your wife that it is a compromise. "I would love to stick with the TV, but since you want to be able to watch the fire place from the seat, we can always get a projector or a plasma screen" :)

(obviously without any measurements, and a more detailed drawing, it is hard to tell if any of what is said makes sense.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've just caught up with this thread, and its a common problem.. no not the divorce, but trying to make sense of pre-existing rooms so that they are livable as well as.... mmmm usable, oh what's the right word?

Anyway....

Since fireplaces tend to be natural focuses... focii in a room, two suggestions occur to me. Neither is perfect, but what is?

Option 1 with two sofas at right angles to the fireplace and either side of it. Now for couples nights (!!!) you can both lie out on seperate sofas.... and have the option of looking at the fireplace during boring bits!!!!

It just kind of makes the room bi-focus... Well maybe.

The second option is to reverse option one and have the TV in front of the fireplace on some sort of trolley.castors/wheels and then you can push it to one side for non or at least non critical watching.

This preserves the fireplace as centre of attention thing and gives you the option of a simple move for SERIOUS viewing at just a few second's notice.

It doesn't involve the expense of the plasma of projection options and can be tried for little outlay (that probably appeals to spouse and you can spend some of the saving on something she'd like... unless its the poolboy!!!!!)

I used to do this sort of thing (no, I don't mean the poolboy!!!!)and its not so hard to do.

Nothing's perfect, but remember, after the divorce, even if you get (or can afford!!!???!!!) Steve to represent you, you may not have the house anymore!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
You may want to consider going diagonally. It's not ideal but it can work.

Because of our room layout, we had no choice but to go diagonally. The toughest thing about this option is surround placement. Floorstanding surrounds are easier to place. In wall (like I have) require careful consideration. You'll probably want to make sure they're di/bi-polar as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kromkamp
I would second the idea of getting an FPTV and have the screen come down in front of the fireplace. Your room would work out quite well in that configuration.

Andy K.
If I went with the front projection (albeit a few years down the road) would I be able to get a unit that I'd still want to use when I get to the point of finishing out my garage?

Not talking about quality so much here, but since I know almost nothing about FP, would the same unit function as well at 16 feet and at, say 25 feet?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
16-25 is within the range of most digital projectors. You would want to make sure you got one with a Zoom lens (some dont). Usually the zoom factor is 1.3X, which would not give you the full range of 16-25 but at least it would be over half of that range.

Andy K.

·
Registered
763 Posts
On the front projector if you get a really good screen (we like the Stewart GrayHawk for one) that would transfer to your garage.

Also most of the newer front projectors that are digital have power zooms that would accomodate a wide throw distance.

Could could measure both rooms to be sure before you went ahead.

You could also sacrafice something now to your wife (along with something she wants) in order to get your garage / HT project moving sooner perhaps ?

Been married 32 years to a great woman, and this approach works for me most of the time.

Chuck

·
Registered
55 Posts
I really like Dave C's two sofa answer...but here is another option:

Two sofa's back to back. One facing the fireplace and the other facing the TV.

Another option that would be cheaper than the FPTV option is to put your existing TV on a lift to rise up out of the floor. Obviously, you have to have clearance under the floor. How high are your ceilings? You could also drop the TV out of the ceiling. The TV lift option can also be used to bring the TV up out of a cabinet/window seat/blanket chest type piece of furniture that could be offset on either side of the fireplace and would help solve the subfloor clearance problem and also keep TV outa sight which is big WAF bonus.

The FPTV is the best quality route to take, budget permitting.

Hope this opens up the field of possibilities.

Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thought I would throw out another option, which I do. I have Tyler Monitor speakers on stands, and I move them, depending on the situation. Most of the time, they are up on top of my entertainment center, away from my 2 and 4 year old kids. When the kids are asleep, for 2 channel music, I set them up about 5 feet from the back wall. For HT, I set them up on the sides of the entertainment center, about even with the front of the TV. Kind of a pain, but it was the only solution I could come up with that would keep both the kids and speakers safe.

So, you could go with option 2, and move them a little when you want to listen to music, or watch a movie. I have found that placement is not as critical for watching movies. You can check out the cardas site for one suggestion on speaker placement, which I kind of use.

·
Registered
27,351 Posts
But a new house. Neither option is that great.

Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.