AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so close to ditching OTA once and for all - that is even after spending years advising how great it is.

Few years ago I built a HTPC running MCE and had a couple ATSC tuner cards for OTA receive.

Living outside DC we received all the local HD channels without any issue - then June 12th happened and everything went to s**t.

I've had to go in and manually add back channels then edit them again and again and again and after almost a month I am still not where I was before the change over.

On one channel (9.1, I think CBS) I cannot get a clean signal without hiccups. I have removed an attenuator, put it back, removed it again.

On another channel (4.1, frequency 48) I had this working for a while then a few days ago it stopped with No Signal.

Like I said, before the conversion I never had a problem the last couple of years.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just a couple of suggestions: let everyone know what kind of antennae you have. You should check and see if any of the tower locations changed. Are the problems with UHF or VHF?

Also, I'd go to your local thread and see if anyone else is having a problem with those channels and what they are doing. That's where your best help would be.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx - I'll post in the thread for my market.

The antenna I use is the 4x4 UHF I learned about in here - I can't remeber the name of it but it is in my attic and worked the last four years without so much as a hiccup.

As to what has changed - It looks like everything changed when the gov't transitioned to all digital.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxs122 /forum/post/16917870

thanx - I'll post in the thread for my market.

The antenna I use is the 4x4 UHF I learned about in here - I can't remeber the name of it but it is in my attic and worked the last four years without so much as a hiccup.

As to what has changed - It looks like everything changed when the gov't transitioned to all digital.

It definitely sounds like some or your channels shifted back to VHF frequencies and your UHF-only antenna will not work. You will need a second antenna: VHF, (which can be combined on the same coax) or an all-channel replacement antenna. Additionally, the FCC is re-evaluating allowed power levels on the VHF frequencies since many stations are complaining that inner city residents in major markets have lost reception due to insufficient power after moving from UHF to VHF after the final frequency shifts.

You should also check the station's websites for information.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxs122 /forum/post/16917533

I am so close to ditching OTA once and for all - that is even after spending years advising how great it is.

Few years ago I built a HTPC running MCE and had a couple ATSC tuner cards for OTA receive.

Living outside DC we received all the local HD channels without any issue - then June 12th happened and everything went to s**t.

I've had to go in and manually add back channels then edit them again and again and again and after almost a month I am still not where I was before the change over.

On one channel (9.1, I think CBS) I cannot get a clean signal without hiccups. I have removed an attenuator, put it back, removed it again.

On another channel (4.1, frequency 48) I had this working for a while then a few days ago it stopped with No Signal.

Like I said, before the conversion I never had a problem the last couple of years.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

In addition to having the correct antenna for both VHF & UHF stations, there are known issues with Windows Media Center and the recent Digital TV transition. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155014

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
As others have suggested, your 4x4 UHF antenna is no longer sufficient for certain channels channels that moved back to the VHF frequencies. If you follow the Washington, DC area thread , you'll see that you are not alone. A number of members had to upgrade/replace their antennas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.