AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am 7 days away from buying the Pioneer 64'. I have been dreaming about getting this TV for as long as I can remember. All of the sudden I am getting cold feet. I have two major concerns:

1) I will be using digital cable and Comcast's HDTV converter box for the channels that broadcast in HDTV, but what I am worried about the picture quality on the non-HDTV channels, am I going to be disappointed with the picture quality. I am been shopping at high-end dealers who only have their picture signal coming from satellites and DVDs, so I haven't been able to see what standard cable looks up. I know picture quality is in the eye of the beholder but, if someone can give an idea of what to expect. The last thing I need to hear from my wife is, "We spent $3500 on this TV and the 27' in the bedroom looks better !"

2) I am quite sure I will not have any problem adjusting to stretch mode of TV, my wife may have a harder time dealing with the distortion. I will have to ween her gradually and I am worried about burn-in. Am I correct in saying that I if I properly adjust the contrast, burn in will not occur for years to come ?

Please calm my fears.

Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
1) Yes, the standard definition channels will look poor. Your Pioneer will expose them for what they are: low-rez, B-rate feeds. This may reduce the number of non-digital channels that you watch. You will not have to stop watching them, just be aware that this changes your viewing perspective.

2) The stretch modes are useful, but I never use them. I insist on OAR. Isn't that the point of a widescreen set? I have never known anyone who has experienced burn-in. The only person in current RPTV status that I have heard of that experienced burn-in is a baseball fan who had FOX burned into the corner of his set. He left it on all the time!

Leave some cash ($700+) for a ISF calibration. I just got my 53" done and now 480p looks like HDTV! It really is like seeing it through a window.

By the way, what model is this Pioneer? 64 feet is huge!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I feel the same, I was gonna pull the trigger and buy the Sony WS 53(51)" last week for 2100 bucks, but after reading and following these fora, I am getting cold feet also. The calibration stuff scares me, burn ins frightens me and no DVI or similar inputs bugs me and yes, our Sony XBR tube (nonHD) I bet will look better.. But I want a RP-TV

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here's my 2cents worth. I love my widescreen. IMHO the Toshiba does the stretching better than any other set I've seen. I watch everything on satelite stretched, no possible burn in. Most have dual tuners so you can really watch two channels at the same time, there's no little window, a full 1/2 screen is almost as big as a regular 4:3.

On Dish some channels (mostly the local networks) look noticably poor, sometimes my 100 mile antenna signal looks as good, but most regular channels like USA, FOXNEWS, etc. look really good. It is an absolute must that you use s-video at least. Composite cables will degrade the picture to near horror levels. That is the problem with most mass market showrooms. They do not adjust the tv's and have 50 sets running off a composite input. Decent signals, good cables and hookups will make a very good picture, however, if you've been watching a 26" regular tv it may not be what your wife would call a "better" picture. You have to remind her how many multiples of surface area you are displaying.

Keep your investment reasonable and enjoy.

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.