AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My beloved Kuro gave out a puff of black smoke and sparks.....and I'm afraid it died. Almost brought a tear to my eyes. Not sure if I'll be able to fix, and if not i'll probably be going with the Panny VT 30 and was wondering the same regarding picture quality.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/20805604

Was the 150 unfixable? Unless you care alot about 3d I'd probably see about repair before buying a new set.

Unfortuanetly,it was deemed "unrepairable" by the service co. involved...and believe me when I say I did exhaustive research before I had to finally play taps...I really did not have a choice...from researching these boards,it appears that my choice is as close as I can get...Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 /forum/post/20805631

Unfortuanetly,it was deemed "unrepairable" by the service co. involved...and believe me when I say I did exhaustive research before I had to finally play taps...I really did not have a choice...from researching these boards,it appears that my choice is as close as I can get...Am I wrong?

Well the VT30 or the D8000 will be as close as you can currently get, so hopefully the larger screen size will make up for it.

So exactly why is your Pioneer deemed "unrepairable"? Pioneer had assured the public that repair parts would be available for up to 7 years after they exited the display business so what inside the TV failed so badly that it can't be fixed?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya know Randy...the parts were not the problem ..Pio sent everything the repair personel sent for....It was just an ongoing prob that eventually got sporadic but was still there after many months..The service man who is a Pio "expert"pretty much threw up his hands in surrender....I got tired of dealing and worrying about the prob...and was also worried about what the future might bring....Believe me,both I and the service man talked to engineers at Pio...did everything,and more,they recommended...and the last straw was the TV suddenly turning off and not coming back on...

Frustrating....but I take solace in the response you gave as I respect your opinions and advice..I have read about some probs with the Sammy...that's why I chose the Panny...This is the last thing I need to deal with at this point.

Thanks all for the responses...

·
Registered
196 Posts
unless i'm mistaken the peeling issues have been mostly resolved on the D7000/D8000's. i haven't looked too much into it but i remember reading either gamma or fluctuating brightness issues with the GT/VT lines and "brightness pops" with the samsungs (although i have yet to see any brightness pops with my D6500). can't go wrong with either set (or save some money and get the D7000 for one of the best values).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 /forum/post/20806570

Ya know Randy...the parts were not the problem ..Pio sent everything the repair personel sent for....It was just an ongoing prob that eventually got sporadic but was still there after many months..The service man who is a Pio "expert"pretty much threw up his hands in surrender....I got tired of dealing and worrying about the prob...and was also worried about what the future might bring....Believe me,both I and the service man talked to engineers at Pio...did everything,and more,they recommended...and the last straw was the TV suddenly turning off and not coming back on...

Frustrating....but I take solace in the response you gave as I respect your opinions and advice..I have read about some probs with the Sammy...that's why I chose the Panny...This is the last thing I need to deal with at this point.

Thanks all for the responses...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/20808429

Sounds like you need to find another Pioneer repairman.

On that note OP, could you go into more detail about what the initial problem was so we can get a better idea if it's a case of a bad set or if it's a hardworking (but insufficiently competent) repair person?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Set kept turning off intermittently,sometimes it would turn back on with the remote...most times no....in any case,I really feel all aves. Of exploration have been exhausted....tired of dealing with it and I haveputthis to bed...Thanks for the help and offers

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 /forum/post/20809615

Set kept turning off intermittently,sometimes it would turn back on with the remote...most times no....in any case,I really feel all aves. Of exploration have been exhausted....tired of dealing with it and I haveputthis to bed...Thanks for the help and offers

What parts did they actually replace? Did they ever replace the power supply?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Power supply...main board..audio board...hell,I think they even replaced a surf board.!
Plus a lot of other things which are above my pay grade...but,back to the question of the VT30's performance...will it make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/20809642

Power supply...main board..audio board...hell,I think they even replaced a surf board.!
Plus a lot of other things which are above my pay grade...but,back to the question of the VT30's performance...will it make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

If you like 3D, it'd be a solid upgrade. It should compare favorably in absence of any replacement kuros on the market. Whether or not it's good enough is something only you can decide. Best way is to buy from someplace with a good return policy.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think it depends on how close you get to the screen

Quote:

·
Registered
19,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 /forum/post/20809880

Quote:

A VT30 will equal your 150FD except for colors. Insist on getting a VT30 with an August assembly date so that it has the latest, greatest A-board installed.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 /forum/post/20809880

A VT30 will equal your 150FD except for colors. Insist on getting a VT30 with an August assembly date so that it has the latest, greatest A-board installed.

Thanks all for your kind assistance...

DNice,

Might I ask if the August build addresses the color ..or fbr?

·
Registered
19,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 /forum/post/20810230

DNice,

FBr

·
Registered
757 Posts
What is the deal with the color?

I know I could probably find this through lots of reading but I thought since it was brought up someone could quickly answer this for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 /forum/post/20810230

DNice,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.