AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anything else I should be concerned about or considering? I've been lurking here for quite some time as I'm researching information on two plasma projects. One will be for a Den (leaning toward a 50" right now for placement above a fireplace) and the other for a bedroom. I figured that it might be best to wade into this a bit by working on the bedroom first. I'm trying to keep things simple there and the new consumer 37" Panny seems to fit the bill quite nicely (built-in speakers, tuners, DVI). Initially we'll be viewing mostly SD stuff (DirecTV/Cable) and DVD but I'm planning on adding an HD STB and an attic antenna to see what I can pull in locally. I figure it's better to experiment at the lower price point of the smaller panel before moving onto the larger project that will no doubt cascade into the total remodeling of our den (not to mention the replacement of the majority my audio equipment).

- Charlie

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too looked at the Panny. nice size, all in one unit etc. I want a unit small enough to use in one of several locations so the dimensions are critical.

I believe a 37" unit with speakers is the best for overall flexibility. I have an antique cabinet that is just 48" inside which will house a 37" unit with outboard speakers. But then I thought I really want a higher resolution unit and that I would regret buying an ED one like the Panny though its s very good.

I have now been looking at the Sharp 37" LCD and find it stunning in picture quality. more expensive but this is not an everyday purchase so I'm leaning in that direction. It too has all the elements that one would want though in a separate AVC box.

Others I have equivocated about include the 32" Sony LCD, the very new Panny 32" LCD and the Samsung 40".

I've not as yet bought anything however.

Good luck.

Ralph

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did consider the 30" Sharp LCD as I can get it for the exact same price at the 37" Panny. However, I'm not thrilled with the black level on the Sharp nor the off-axis viewing (sometimes I'll be watching this from my computer chair off in the corner of the room). Also, although I have not played around much with the Sharp, I'm not sure it handles SD material as well as the Panny would and we'll probably be watching a good deal of SD material on it (for a while anyway).

- Charlie

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Why not go with the 42"? For only $500 more, it's not a bad deal at all, especially since widescreens are much smaller than they sound...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Space is the issue with the 42", especially when you add the speakers. I'm already pushing it with the 37" but it will work. I had originally wanted to stay in the 30" - 32" range but pricewise I don't think it makes sense. Also, we'll be pretty close to the screen (approx. 8 feet) so somewhat smaller might be better.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Glauco,

My TH-37PA20UP should arrive tomorrow. I placed my order sight unseen after I'd viewed the 42" consumer version, (which is stunning displaying a HD signal, imho), and based on your reports about smaller pixel size; distance from screen, etc. Thanks for your help with the decision.

BTW, have you heard anything 'official' about the 42" consumer Panny having problems with 'turning itself off', as has been discussed in another thread here?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
thebishman,

I friend of mine works in a Dealer and speaks with a Panasonic Representative regularly. Usually I can get general info from him about Plasmas (Not much though).

But unfortunately he's not able to answer any technical question.

Or maybe he's not allowed to do so ?!? http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies...ai/icon7xx.gif

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I just saw the TH37PA20U on Circuit City's website and was really surprised by their price. Especially when you compare it to what they're charging for the 42" model. It's close enough to online prices that those wary of an internet purchase won't be paying much of a premium.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I saw this price too, but when I tried to place the item 'in my cart' as an experiment, that page failed to load 4 times in a row. Frankly, I'm sure that CC has mis-priced it, and will correct it soon. IF it is a true selling price that's a great deal, only slightly bettered by a few on-line merchants.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to mention the free home delivery (if you live within 50 miles) and the $200 gift card. Incidentally, I didn't have any trouble adding it to my cart (haven't put the order in just yet) but I am tempted to go see what they've got in the store (and what it's priced at).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'll let you know tomorrow if that is the right price. The wife and I are going plasma looking again. I'm going back to BB to see if the panny will stay on, it would'nt Monday. Every time the guy turned it on it would turn it self off

after a few minutes. I though it mite have a timer set to go off but I read a thread where this is happening on others so I want to know for sure. The guy at CC told me he could get me a good price on a plasma in stock......

we will see. I will not buy this on line.................

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike__P
Does anyone know if you can detach the speakers on the TH37PA20U? My opening is only 37.5 inches and I think the commercial version will just fit.
The speakers on the 37" and 42" PA20U/P are not detachable - they're built into the outer panels where all the little holes are. (Edit: i also think the 37" version is just over 41" wide overall just going from memory).

On another note - i've read where some Plasma TVs will turn themselves off if they're not getting a suitable signal - could it be possible that the cause of the reports of PA20Us shutting down has something to do with the signal, or maybe an inability to recognize the signal at these stores or even an improper setup?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope this doesn't violate the board rules but here goes:

I can now confirm the web price at Circuit City. I just got back from my local store and, after listening to the sales-droid babble on about plasma gas and lamp replacements, I ordered my TH37PA20UP (to be delivered on Monday) for the price advertised online (+ $40 delivery charge). I also got an immediate $200 gift card which I was able to use to get the $399 HDTV upgrade package from DirecTV for existing subscribers (Samsung SIR-TS160 receiver and Terk triple LNB dish). That's right, I walked out with the Sammy STB and new dish ... I passed on the free "professional install" since I've already got everything I need in place (I've been a DirecTV subscriber for a year and a half). I did have to pay an extra $25 for shipping to match the deal on the DirecTV web site but that was it (oh, plus the tax of course). On top of all that, I got 18 month interest free financing on the display. I'm not sure it could have gone any better.

- Charlie

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well done Charlie, that's a great deal!!

I just received mine today and am in the process of adjusting settings; so far it looks very good and that's just with S-video input from my DTV via ReplayTV. I'll start to adjust the component inputs later.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats Bish! It's going to be tough waiting until Monday (assuming they deliver according to schedule), especially now that I've got the new HD STB and a new Panny XP30 DVD player I picked up as a result of another post in the DVD Players forum (received yesterday). This place rocks!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
charlieg, congratulations on snagging a new Panasonic XP30 player (I bet from Abe's) - I see they don't list it anymore today so you got it just in time. I myself got one used on ebay a couple weeks ago, that was the only source for them I could find then - but it works great anyway!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks ThumperBoy (and yes, the XP30 was from Abe's). Turned out to be quite the eventful (not to mention expensive) week. BTW, got a call from CC this afternoon confirming delivery on the plasma for Monday. They even gave me a two hour delivery window. So far, so good ...

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by charlieg
Thanks ThumperBoy (and yes, the XP30 was from Abe's). Turned out to be quite the eventful (not to mention expensive) week. BTW, got a call from CC this afternoon confirming delivery on the plasma for Monday. They even gave me a two hour delivery window. So far, so good ...
In case you don't already know - keep the box, don't let the delivery guys "dispose of it for you".

If you don't have the box you cannot return the TV during the CC 30 day probation period so hang on

to it for the next month, if not forever (for transportation later).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.