AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to some issues with my bank not wanting to allow me to buy outside of the country and having to fix it all I am ordering my setup this Saturday. So far I have in mind:

Denon AVR-1613

Fluance ES1S

The issue I'm having is I can't test any of the speakers out and I can't find definitive reviews on very many speakers. I want to stay under $600 for the receiver + bookshelf speakers, and I would love to have a set that had some measure of mid / sub bass as my roommates are begging me not to get a sub, haha. I have a very small room and do not have room for towers, both physically and acoustically. My only other concern is clarity of voices in music, movies, and television shows.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Don't know where you live but there must be some places nearby that carry audio gear. Even a Best Buy must be somewhere nearby. Go out and audition. That's the best way to get what you want.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in rural MS, we have a BestBuy however almost all their gear is low quality and to my ears none of it sounds overly good. Lots of really low end Pioneer, Sony, and Bose. I saw a few Polk monitors on display however they weren't hooked up.

I saw a few mom and pop places but my work schedule is very prohibitive, I work six days a week 60+ hours.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
If what they sell at Best Buy sounds bad to you, wait till you hear the Fluance speakers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you inferring that they are of poor quality? I also have my eye on a pair of AudioEngine P4's, just asking for advice as I'm new to all of this..

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I would take a look at a nicer pair of bookshelves, these Wharfedale 10.2 are a good option, and a basic stereo receiver like this Yamaha R-S300 . If you have plans to move past 2.0, and add a sub or expand to surround sound, then I would keep the HT receiver. But putting more money into a better pair of speakers is a wise decision.

Edit: This Onkyo is also a good choice, has more power and digital inputs, as well as networking features.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
All we are trying to suggest is that you go do some listening. Get in the car on Saturday and drive somewhere that can let you listen. I'm a big believer in buying speakers that are well reviewed and sold directly by the manufacturers. That eliminates the dealer markup and provides better sound for the money in most cases. Emptek and HTM are examples of factory direct speakers that are well reviewed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish there was somewhere reasonably close where I could audition a good range of speaker options but that is unfortunately not an option. I will definitely take a look at all of your suggestions, I'm just essentially starting over with a larger budget.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawlsey  /t/1520955/about-to-pull-the-trigger#post_24438105

I live in rural MS, we have a BestBuy however almost all their gear is low quality and to my ears none of it sounds overly good. Lots of really low end Pioneer, Sony, and Bose. I saw a few Polk monitors on display however they weren't hooked up.

I saw a few mom and pop places but my work schedule is very prohibitive, I work six days a week 60+ hours.
Just curious where is rural MS I just can't make the connection.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha! Pick a town in MS and you can say it is rural. As much as I would love to take off and go find a place to audition my job is very demanding and makes it impossible. As a sales manager of a major dealership I can't really afford to miss work, both career wise and monetarily.

I've just about got my decisions finalized but just out of curiosity does anyone know of a really good subwoofer for under $350? I know I'd have to turn it down to keep the peace, but I really want a lil bass extension. My biggest thing is fast tight musical bass, currently researching the HSU STF-2.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawlsey  /t/1520955/about-to-pull-the-trigger#post_24439704

Haha! Pick a town in MS and you can say it is rural. As much as I would love to take off and go find a place to audition my job is very demanding and makes it impossible. As a sales manager of a major dealership I can't really afford to miss work, both career wise and monetarily.

I've just about got my decisions finalized but just out of curiosity does anyone know of a really good subwoofer for under $350? I know I'd have to turn it down to keep the peace, but I really want a lil bass extension. My biggest thing is fast tight musical bass, currently researching the HSU STF-2.

Surprisingly enough, the NXG BAS 500 is probably one of the most accurate and musical subs under $300. Jim Wilson has a great review on TheTheaterShack, and it can be had for $260. Keep in mind that STF-2 with shipping is $380, and while it is decent, the VTF line is better and it would be worth saving more to make that jump. If you can find a used Emotiva Ultra 10/12, that would be a great choice as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1520955/about-to-pull-the-trigger#post_24441559

Surprisingly enough, the NXG BAS 500 is probably one of the most accurate and musical subs under $300. Jim Wilson has a great review on TheTheaterShack, and it can be had for $260. Keep in mind that STF-2 with shipping is $380, and while it is decent, the VTF line is better and it would be worth saving more to make that jump. If you can find a used Emotiva Ultra 10/12, that would be a great choice as well.

That subwoofer is definitely on my list, thank you for the link to the review!

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
If you want a sealed sub for music on a budget - then also look at the MB Quart Alexxa 12

subwoofer - Amazon has them for around $1100 >> However, MB Quart is moving them out

For $280 plus $75 shipping > I would put them on a short list.
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-sw12pw?pp=24

Also, the word on the Teac bookshelf speakers is good
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/teaclsh265a/teac-ls-h265-2-way-5-1/4-in-reference-bookshelf-speakers-pair/1.html

Then get a refurb receiver from AC4L

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawlsey  /t/1520955/about-to-pull-the-trigger#post_24442650

A deal that good is hard to believe, no wonder they are sold out

Are you talking about the subwoofer - call them and double check

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will call them, just going by there website it says sold out. I'll reply back when I get ahold of them.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawlsey  /t/1520955/about-to-pull-the-trigger#post_24442696

I will call them, just going by there website it says sold out. I'll reply back when I get ahold of them.

Once you start posting about deals on a forum like this - a lot of readers tend to jump on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1520955/about-to-pull-the-trigger#post_24442718

Once you start posting about deals on a forum like this - a lot of readers tend to jump on it.

Of course, I am in no way surprised: can't seem to get an answer on availability from the store. They say to call the manufacturer and they say to call the store.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts