AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my LCR on my onkyo 6100 HTIB and I think I've decided on Infinity Beta 20's for the L/R but I'm not sure what to do about the center.

I can't find a black beta c360 anywhere so it's down to either getting a third beta 20, a beta c250, or a primus pc350.

I've read that the primus line sounds very similar to the beta line so I didn't know if it should be considered or not. Just thought it could be thrown in there if they do sound similar and the fact that it's 3-way would give me more mids.

Would the third beta 20 as a center be able to cut it as a center channel for 90% HT use? Room is around 18x14 and open on one side. $500 max budget.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it's possible to fit another beta 20...we're going to mount the plasma to the wall so having an upright 20 in the middle means only mounting it another 5 or 6" higher

Don't really know if it'll look right or not though...oh well.

Thanks for the input afrogt

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so the size of the beta's aren't meeting the WAF 100% so I'm looking for alternatives that would sound just as good but be smaller in all directions. They don't need to be satellite size though.

I was wondering how the energy c-100 would stack up against the beta 20's?

Thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1110 /forum/post/16906479

ok so the size of the beta's aren't meeting the WAF 100% so I'm looking for alternatives that would sound just as good but be smaller in all directions.

Sure, if you spend 3x the price...

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am more grateful everyday that I have a wife who lets me do as I please with my theater
. Good luck.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton /forum/post/16906623

I am more grateful everyday that I have a wife who lets me do as I please with my theater
. Good luck.

yeah shes been really good through it. This situation is more of a "get some that are smaller if you can". If there aren't comparable ones that are smaller then the beta's will be bought.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
The Primus line is very similar. Very similar in-house drivers, essentially the same overall design goals. The Betas have flared ports, a less fake lookin finish, and they seem to have better cabinet construction, though I've never seen a cross-section. Check out the Beta and Primus owners' threads for more info.

The P162s are a little smaller, but it's close. They are rated to have a bit deeper bass extension, but it doesn't seem like that's the case in a real room. The Betas are rear ported and do best if you can get them away from the front wall. The P162s, IMO, are a little more flexible for room placement. I also have the smaller P152s, and although they are fine in my office, I would not be satisfied with them as mains in my HT. For surrounds, however, the P152, or even the smaller P142s are great choices.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i've been looking around a good bit today trying to find a comparable speaker that's smaller and about the same price and coming up short. What I might go ahead and do is get the beta's and also get a pair of smaller speakers like Atom's or C-100's, or whatever else might be recommended, to see if the sound to size tradeoff is worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts