AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a small town and would like to buy this stuff online. Where can I find a good deal on some form of accoustic material to use for this? I've also heard that walmart sells a fabric to put over top of it, if true what do I look for? And if I build a wooden frame what do I use? 2x2s?

I've been reading the accoustical master thread but its overwhelming and Im not finding these basic answers, thanks.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,258 Posts
A regular here has developed an online source for several types of the acoustical treatment materials discussed here. Here is Bpape storefront:

http://www.sensiblesoundsolutions.com/

You also might want to try and see if JM has a local dealer for the HVAC insulation products in your area. Check their web site. If so Linacoustic Duct liner is a favorite for wall treatments.

Check your yellow pages for HVAC installers and call and ask if they have any duct liner products available.

Another source for the fabric most recommended (GOM) is www.fabricmate.com

You can also go to the Guilford of Maine web site and order samples for free.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,258 Posts
It looks like you finally found an online source for Linacoustic. The picture looks like this stuff

Installed:

Now lets see $176 for 25 ft. I got a roll of 100 ft for $125. Somebody has figured out how to make some simple money.

It may be a solution if you don't have any more options but keep in mind that you are paying more than 5x retail for the repackaging service provided by that vendor.

Tell us where you live and maybe we have some suggestions

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in the middle of nowhere, artesia nm. Roswell is about an hour away and has a home depot but in this part of the world service there is horrid, especially if you have to order anything. i live in hickville and people don't understand the need for a HT here so i do most of my shopping online when i can. the only decent hvac supplier here is in carlsbad, about 45 minutes away but im not sure if they would carry duct liner or not. i guess ill try calling them now, but around here nobody is open on the weekends.

edit: nope, either not open today or not answering their phones. i don't mind spending extra money for the conveienence of having it delivered. maybe i'll keep searching the net for a better price, but that is the stuff i need correct?

and if i want to put it on the walls with gom over it, are there any good writeups for best ways to build this thing?

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,258 Posts
Chinadog did a good job of documenting his build see the Blazing ridge build thread. Also his pic gallery is pretty clear.

Basically put up 1 inch thick furring strips, put up Linacoustic, staple up fabric and hide staples with moulding or the other tricks like inside corners that have been discussed many times in several threads you can search for.

here are Buds Pics:

http://public.fotki.com/bketterl/ear...bric_linacous/

·
Registered
329 Posts
drunkpenguin --- try calling some of the heating and air conditioning installers in your area. They might have some Linacoustic they could sell you or help you order some for you.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok those pictures are pretty helpful! Thanks. So basically I'll hang furring strips 48" apart and then staple the linacoustic directly to the wall in between, then stapple the outer fabric (or gom) to the furring strips. Sounds simple enough I suppose.

I originally had planned on treating the entire wall and then hanging the screen on it, is this unessassary? should I just treat around the screen?

·
Banned
776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocophone /forum/post/0

drunkpenguin --- try calling some of the heating and air conditioning installers in your area. They might have some Linacoustic they could sell you or help you order some for you.

This is good advice. I have a buddy that fabricates ductwork for various local HVAC outfits and he gets me Linacoustic at cost.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin /forum/post/0

So basically I'll hang furring strips 48" apart and then staple the linacoustic directly to the wall in between, then stapple the outer fabric (or gom) to the furring strips. Sounds simple enough I suppose.

I originally had planned on treating the entire wall and then hanging the screen on it, is this unessassary? should I just treat around the screen?

As for 48 inches, your limit is based on the fabric. I did a 20 ft wall in two pieces. One above the chair rail moulding and one below. I think GOM is 66 inches wide.

The fabric will hold the Linacoustic up just tack it in place with a few drywall screws until the fabric is installed. I have several walls where the friction fit of the linacoustic was that was needed no screws. (or staples)

It's good practice to treat the area behind the screen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Drunkpenguin: I just finished acoustical treatment in my HT. I am working with a smaller room than most DIY designers here. I have a 10.5ft x 14.5 ft. space. I assembled together a frame using 1x4s and secured them with metal "L" Brackets and wood screws. After making sure the frame was square I purchased styrofoam panels at Home Depot, Material Batting from Walmart, and fabric from cloth world (the fabric design was my wife's choice). Layed the styrofoam down and placed the frame on top and cut to size. Afterwards the assembly was quite easy. Placed ample fabric face down, followed by the batting, then the styrofoam, and the frame with the metal brackets down. Cut the excess material from around the frame and with an electric stapler I stapled the material to the back of the frame as one would do a seat cushion. Finally I used Industrial strength Velcro from Home Depot and put a strip on the top, bottom and sides and simply stuck it to the wall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have not used Linacoustic Duct Liner. So I really could not give you an honest opinion over the difference. The Styrofoam worked well for me. It did the job as far as my tastes in audio quality are concerned. The sound is not banging all over the place. My best description w/o the tech talk is a clean, crisp audio quality. The room is wired for 5.1 Surround Sound.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will any 1" duct liner work? I found a place that could sell me a roll of 100' for either 200 or 300, dont remember which, but either way its cheaper than I've found online. I'm not sure of the brand. Should I just buy and hope for the best?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin /forum/post/0

I havn't read about styrofoam yet, does that method work as well as the ductliner method?

Styrofoam does NOTHING for acoustics plain and simple. As to treating the screenwall, do you have an Acoustically transparent screen? or a faux wall for your screen?

If you do then you want to treat the entire wall behind the screen, and the ceiling behind and the floor and sideswalls of that area. If you have a regular screen then you are going to have sound reflections off it no matter what but treat entire wall around it. you also want to establish your first reflection points and treat those areas as well as a minimum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gotta write this one after all the comments on my post:

"Don't I feel like the JACKASS!" for using styrofoam. LOL

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
When searching for fiberglass board, you need to be looking for COMMERCIAL hvac supply places. Go through the yellow pages and call around, you'll likely need to look towards large town city areas for this.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg joe /forum/post/0

Gotta write this one after all the comments on my post:

"Don't I feel like the JACKASS!" for using styrofoam. LOL

Hi Jon. I think people's concern is that you're saying styrofoam made a big difference in the audio in your theater. Newcomers will read that and try to use styrofoam for audio absorption, only to discover it really doesn't make a difference. I'm no expert, but I'm willing to listen to the folks on here who do home theater design for a living, and they all indicate that styrofoam doesn't do anything to treat sound.

I don't doubt that your theater sounds different with you styrofoam panels up, but as others have said I don't think that difference is due to the styrofoam itself. That's all that's being said.

-drin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts