AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of advice for my new Marantz NR1601 AV-Receiver. I would love to buy a new (or second hand) 5.1 surround sound speaker system set, but have no clue which one I should buy. Just went to the best buy, listened to some Polk Audio Speakers, (towers, TS1400 model) and they sound great. Very nice.

I have a small living room, 20 square meters or 200-250 square feet. I will mainly use my 5.1 set for watching movies and tv series (50%) PS3 gaming (30%) and listening to (talk) radio and music (20%). My budget is around 500-700$ max. I like a full complete sound with a tight bass, I think...

Somebody else advised me a Harman Kardon HKTS system. Never heard of that brand, but googled it and those satellites seem so small, I fear the sound isn't nice and full with such small speakers, but perhaps I have no clue how this all works!? I just rather have those satellites just a big bigger, though no towers... Something in between micro satellites and tower speakers. Any advice would be very appreciated... Since I am an absolute beginner in audio...

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
are you located in the USA or Canada ? the Best Buy vs. meter measurement makes placement difficult

If you are in the USA, then you may want to consider the Boston Acoustics CS line or the Jamo S606 bundle from vanns.com http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/co...gSale-Speakers

Polk TSi 400 towers are just a restyled version of the Polk Monitor60 towers. Monitor60's are often on sale at www.newegg.com (when searching their site use Monitor60 and sign up for their email sale flyers to catch some excellent sales on these speakers). Newegg sells the Monitor series at much more attractive prices than the retail TSi models. The CS1 or larger CS2 center channel speakers is the appropriate match for the Monitor series.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for your reply! I live in Europe. I am now in the USA, but will fly to and stay in Europe next week.

A guy from Marantz advised me the Boston Acoustics A series (4x A25, 1x A225 center, 1x AWS250 subwoofer) but that would be around 800€ which is about 1100-1200$, which is a bit too much for my liking. 500-600€ or 800-1000 US dollars is my max...

Other people advised me Tannoy TS1001 or Harman Kardon HKTS20, but I rather have a little bit bigger book shelve speakers.

·
Registered
29,059 Posts
So if your order here now can you take the speakers with you? or you just gonna wait until you get back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would buy everything in Europe, especially since a subwoofer is not unpractical as handluggage;-) And I still am in need for some decent advice.

Also decided I will change plans. I wanted to go for a Marantz 1601/1602 with Polk Audio TSi series 5.1 or a Boston Acoustics A25 5.1 series. But! This would set me back around 1200-1400€. Too much for me. My initial budget was/is 250€ for a receiver, and 250-300€ max. for a 5.1 system. Now I decided to pick up a good old Logitech Z5500 (sorry!!!) for the next 2 years and then buy the marantz 2nd hand via ebay, whenever it comes around. Expecting that in a 1 or 2 years I could pick one up for say 250-300€.

Now I just need some advice on the speakers. Ebay.de is a good place to search, but I have no clue what is good quality. I don't want to buy small micro or satellites, rather small bookshelves typ speakers with a sub and centre. http://audio.shop.ebay.de/Audio-Hi-F...=p3286.c0.m301 is where I look. WHat should I look for? Something like 2-3 years old, decent quality?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know this probably isn't going to be what you want to hear, but my advice is to forget about 5.1 and try to find yourself a decent pair of speakers to serve as your fronts and work your way up to surround sound. The temporary loss of 5.1 is minor in comparison to having to live with a crappy 5.1 system. For example the very affordable Pioneer SP-FS51 floor standers will destroy any cheap surround package and most receivers (not sure about your model) have a virtual center channel feature that's quite acceptable. Adding extra speakers easy. Getting great sound out of bad ones is not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I would have a fulltime job, with according salary, I would agree, but it's just that I want not the cheapy Logitech speakers, and not the very expensive high-end speakers, but a decent midrange speaker.

It's like asking for advice on a small but reliable car, and then get tips to buy a BMW 5 series... I appreciate that, it's just that a 5.1 decent bookshelve system will still be a huge improvement over the Logitech cheapies and will also be enjoyable? No?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Howdy Jan. I think you are wise to stay away from the smallish "Home Theater in a Box" systems and are on the right path looking for bookshelf speakers to use. You could likely get a higher quality system if you buy your bookshelf speakers and subs separately and spend 40% on the subwoofer.

Both the JBL and Infinity set-ups you linked are quality brands and would work well for your room. I run the larger Infinity Beta speakers myself and love them. Other brands to consider would be Energy, Klipsch, and Polk.

·
Registered
260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmulder /forum/post/20467392

If I would have a fulltime job, with according salary, I would agree, but it's just that I want not the cheapy Logitech speakers, and not the very expensive high-end speakers, but a decent midrange speaker.

It's like asking for advice on a small but reliable car, and then get tips to buy a BMW 5 series... I appreciate that, it's just that a 5.1 decent bookshelve system will still be a huge improvement over the Logitech cheapies and will also be enjoyable? No?

Ultimately, if you're happy that's the main thing. All I'm saying is if it were me, I'd spend the funds I'd allocated for the low priced 5.1 system on a better 2.0 and wait until funds become available add extra speakers. There are some really good speakers out there that are very reasonable in price. Good hunting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts