AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about building another diy sub. I built a dual 13w7 last time. Sq is great and output is sick. I'm looking to build something even sicker with two drivers if possible.

Probably 15'' drivers. I want it to be as small as possible. Are the lms drivers the best money can buy?

I will use this for music so sq is very important. I'm not familiar with how a dual opposed sub works. Do they require less cabinet volume. I like the fact that you can make the enclosure alot shorter than putting one driver stacked on top of the other.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff76 /forum/post/16850595

I'm thinking about building another diy sub. I built a dual 13w7 last time. Sq is great and output is sick. I'm looking to build something even sicker with two drivers if possible.

Probably 15'' drivers. I want it to be as small as possible. Are the lms drivers the best money can buy?

I will use this for music so sq is very important. I'm not familiar with how a dual opposed sub works. Do they require less cabinet volume. I like the fact that you can make the enclosure alot shorter than putting one driver stacked on top of the other.

I think you are in the wrong forum, this would get more attention in the DIY forum.

As for my personal opinion, if you want SQ, you don't use a small box, you use IB or eliminate the box entirely and go OB ideally with a driver having a light loose suspension cone and a small motor.

As for dual opposed drivers, they each need their original box volume thus the total volume is 2x the value for one. You might be thinking of Isobaric which is not the same as dual opposed in which case the volume requirement is cut in half. Especially if you are trying to get small however, the space occupied by the drivers themselves may be large relative to the resulting box size requirements. Isobaric in effect gives you one driver for the price of two. You're using both cones to push the same air and could accomplish the same thing by doubling the size of the motor on a single driver.

Back to dual opposed, the advantage here is the cancellation of mechanical energy in the driver frames. This is used to reduce vibration of the box itself.

mk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.