AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m wondering if someone can help a newbie with some very basic questions. I have two questions which each need background explanation.

Last year I bought two Klipsch Reference book shelf speakers. I am not an audiophile and have never owned nice speakers; let me tell you I was thrilled with their sound. I had bought these brand new and I loved them, so when a friend recently offered to sell me a Klipsch subwoofer, I jumped at it.

Well, he’s moved out of town, so I can’t ask him about stuff, and now I am a bit stumped by a few things.

I am going to try to connect this older KSW 10 subwoofer to my older, pre-home theater stereo receiver…a Yamaha RX 595.

Some Google research tells me that I will be using a “speaker level” and not “line level” connection. I don’t see anything on the back of the Yamaha for a single line connection to a subwoofer.

First question: On the back of the RX 595 there are connectors for Speakers A, which I am using for the bookshelf speakers; will I use the Speakers B connectors (now unused) for the subwoofer?

The second question requires even more backstory. As I started to move the subwoofer into place, I noticed that there seemed to be something loose inside the box. I looked through the port on the back and saw that there appears to be a cardboard tube that is kind of “floating” in there. One end seems to be attached to the front of the box, but the other end is loose. (I apologize for my newbie vocabulary here….as you can see, I know so very little about subwoofers.)

Then I noticed a small piece of tape on the inside rim of the port.

Question #2 : is the tube supposed to fit the inside of the port and be attached there? Is the piece of tape evidence of some kind of ad hoc solution to keep that tube in place?

I am thinking that I should probably chalk this up to experience and save up for a newer subwoofer, but I am would like to know if this one is seriously damaged. I am very very very grateful for any advice.

·
Premium Member
12,873 Posts
Re. Q.1: You have a couple of options for hook-up:
1. Two sets of speaker wire running from the L&R "A" binding posts on the receiver:
- one set to the binding posts on the subwoofer; and
- the other set to the L&R speakers.

2. L&R RCA cables from the TAPE REC OUT line-level outputs on the receiver to the L&R line-level inputs on the sub.

Use the LOWPASS ("crossover") control on the sub to blend the sub with the speakers.

Re. Q.2: Tape the port tube back into place or, if you're feeling more adventurous, remove the driver to access the enclosure so that you can better (more properly) secure the tube in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re. Q.1: You have a couple of options for hook-up:
1. Two sets of speaker wire running from the L&R "A" binding posts on the receiver:
- one set to the binding posts on the subwoofer; and
- the other set to the L&R speakers.

2. L&R RCA cables from the TAPE REC OUT line-level outputs on the receiver to the L&R line-level inputs on the sub.

Use the LOWPASS ("crossover") control on the sub to blend the sub with the speakers.

Re. Q.2: Tape the port tube back into place or, if you're feeling more adventurous, remove the driver to access the enclosure so that you can better (more properly) secure the tube in place.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

I do appreciate this!

PS: big admirer of all things Canada here. I have an MA from McGill and spent two years studying at the U of T. Beautiful universities....beautiful cities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts