AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, Ive read the material on this forum countless times about crossover frequencies and bass mangement but Im still puzzled so I figured Id ask for help.

I own a Onkyo HT-S3400 HTIB system. The speaker specs are as follows:

Fronts, Center, Rears:

Full Range Bass-Reflex

120W

81dB/W/m

80 Hz to 20 kHZ requency response

3-1/4" cone

Sub:

Bass-Reflex, Passive Subwoofer

130W

83dB/W/m

30 Hz to 150 Hz

8" cone.

So my questions are, What's my ideal crossover? I calibrated to 75db at 80Hz crossover because I read THX recommends this, I also set my speakers to SMALL because of that, shoukd I have them set to LARGE because they are Full-Range? Im confused.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The specifications on your speakers are very deceiving. Your speakers are in no way even close to a full range speaker. The specs say that they play down to 80hz. Set them to small or if you can select a specific crossover use 80hz or 90hz as a starting point.

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
If your speaker manuals don't have a recommended crossover, you should set it at the point where bass moves smoothly from the speakers to the sub. The best way to determine that point is with the bass sweeps on a calibration disc such as Avia or DVE. When the crossover is too low, you'll hear a "hole" in the bass when the sweep gets down to the frequencies the speakers can't handle. Bass response will pick back up when the sweep finally gets down to the point where the sub takes over. My three front speakers are fine with the crossover at 80Hz. But, that's too low for my surrounds. Since my AVR has a single crossover for all speakers, I set it at 100Hz.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you're likely to turn the volume up loud occasionally, you may want to use a higher crossover frequency, possibly up to 150Hz. The reason is because a 80Hz crossover doesn't remove all information below that frequency but attenuates them according to a slope, which I believe for THX speakers is 12 dB/octave. High volume bass with even a 100Hz crossover might still cause the 3 1/4" driver to be overdriven.

If high volume levels are in your future then set the crossover as high as you can, but never so high that you start to notice none-bass information coming from your subwoofer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So since I have only 1 woofer in each speaker at 3 and a quarter, would the ideal crossover be 150Hz? According to the manual speakers under 3.50 cone should be set at 150HZ/200HZ. According to the last poster and the manual it seems like it should be 150....or 120. Im really tired of messing with this stuff and I would like to just enjoy my system hahaha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts