AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out at the new ABT store today. The store is large with an atrium that is not fully opened yet that includes rooms that most people have in their homes. The rooms are a nice touch to give you a feel of what your hardware would be like outside of the main showroom.

I was a little disappointed in the store but that maybe due to my high expectations from before the store opened. Overall the store is setup the way the old store was. There is more room and the aesthetics are very pleasing.

While walking through the HD satellite section, I was a bit disturbed that a salesman was giving false information about HD to a customer. If I had more time I would have corrected him but I was on my way out of the store.

One thing about ABT is you can get a really good price on some HD hardware but if you do not ask, you can pay much more than what you would see as a displayed sale price at say Tweeter. For example, Tweeter has the Mits D-VHS recorder for $699.00 on the shelf. ABT had it for $771.00. Their website still has it for $999.00. http://www.**************.com/script...lag=1022708190 This bothers me as they will not give you a reasonable price drop as others do unless you ask or point it out. I think this is how they paid for the new store.:)

Overall the store is laid out well and I was not bothered once by a salesperson. Has anyone else had the chance to see the new store?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Add another to your ranks...

I finally got the green light from my wife to go HD. We went to the new Abt last night and saw the Panasonic 36" for $1999. I had seen it on their website for $1647 so I went home and bought it there along with the Hughes stb and dish. After my company discount (5%), I got all three items for $2300 including tax and the free shipping. Not too shabby.

This site has helped me immeasurably in my research. Thanks to one and all!

Fletch

p.s. I was very dissapointed that most of the tube HDTVs that Abt had were showing analog signals. I asked to see an HD signal and the guy said, "sorry, that we'd have to hook up a stb to this unit".

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I am planning on going to the new store tomorrow. I have purchased a lot from them (washer, dryer, refrigerator, microhood, Denon receiver, DirecTiVo, and my Mits 55809). With ever purchase I asked for a discount and I got one (for the appliances it was usually $50 off of their price that already beat Sears).

You can definetly haggle with them. I got my 55809 for $2300 last October (and that includes their 3 year in home warranty). It took a lot of work to get that price (I got tweeter to price match at 2400, abt dropped to beat tweeter).

It is a shame they are not showing HD. I figured with the new store they would have it set up correctly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think that the room with projection tvs all had HD signals. There may have been 1 or 2 tube tvs on the endcaps with the HD signal as well. They seem to be steering people to the RPTVs.

Fletch

BTW - The location is on 1200 N. Milwaukee (IL-21) in Glenview.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great customer support! I haven't been to the store since I live in Denver but I just purchased a Hughe E86 HD Sat receiver from ABT for $499 & free shipping via the Internet. The first unit I received was defective, wouldn't read the access card correctly.

It was 7 or 8pm MST and I didn't think anyone would answer the phone but I called and got through immediately. Talked to a really nice lady who walked me through the whole return and even cross shipped me a new one (with credit card of course). She even showed me how to do the return automatically online, this was very slick and the way that all venders should work. Anyway, the entire process was very easy and everyone I dealt with was nothing but helpful. I received the new unit shortly and everything is working great.

BE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.