AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9,905 Posts
Look at the author, the target sudience and the people quoted in support of her specious arguments. Actually little discussion there, it's more of an ignorant rant.

Getting basic facts fight also adds to one's credibility. The ML amp was the ML11, all SS and the Futterman was the tube OTL.

Another test I mention regularly is the famous Zipser reported in the Audio Critic Issue 24.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_i...ritic_24_r.pdf

Starts on p7 of the pdf, and the details are important to the conclusion.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/20898550

Look at the author, the target sudience and the people quoted in support of her specious arguments. Actually little discussion there, it's more of an ignorant rant.

Getting basic facts fight also adds to one's credibility. The ML amp was the ML11, all SS and the Futterman was the tube OTL.

It's a tribute the quality of the tube amp (a potentially 'colored' design), that it was sonically equivalent to solid state amps (which I'm sure measured better), in those trials ..

Quote:
Another test I mention regularly is the famous Zipser reported in the Audio Critic Issue 24.

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_i...ritic_24_r.pdf

Starts on p7 of the pdf, and the details are important to the conclusion.

Ye gods, Zipser. I remember all that from rec.audio.* days.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple /forum/post/20898452

This recent expose is too er, interesting, to confine to the "2-channel" subforum where I first linked to it. The public needs to know!

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue56/abx.htm

Boy, is she ever confused.
There are no three sounds to compare in ABX only two. I guess she has no clue about it. You compare X to A if you want, or to B. You can compare as much as you want before you select the answer. If you think X is different from A, then obviously the answer is B. If you think it is the same, the answer is A. Simple test, but very hard to differentiate certain components, if not impossible.

If she is interested in a selection of preferences, why even bother with a blind testing?

Also, if memory is short, what will happen in 5 minutes? No memory of the first 4.5 minutes?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
When I saw the URL I thought: Teressa Goodwin. Lo and behold I click on the link and look who authored it

I've bumped into her at HTShack. She operates in another reality from the rest of the human race.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/20899808

When I saw the URL I thought: Teressa Goodwin. Lo and behold I click on the link and look who authored it

I've bumped into her at HTShack. She operates in another reality from the rest of the human race.

I guess she found that tear in the wall between parallel universes and found us.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
She really wrote an 'outing' rant on a testing method she didn't even bother to understand the basics of beforehand? Really?

What a nutjob.

·
Registered
31,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku /forum/post/20899808

When I saw the URL I thought: Teressa Goodwin.

This is the same Teresa Goodwin whose mother "could hear the difference between Original Monster, 12 Gauge Discwasher and 14 Gauge lamp cord from the other room while doing dishes!"

Not making it up: http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.ht...neral&n=519873

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/20900514

This is the same Teresa Goodwin whose mother "could hear the difference between Original Monster, 12 Gauge Discwasher and 14 Gauge lamp cord from the other room while doing dishes!"

Teressa reminds me of one of those people you randomly meet at a party and soon as she starts talking you are mentally looking for a way out:

Fire, Tornado Alarm, Swarm of locust, The 2nd coming of Christ. Anything will do at that point.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
The "X" in the ABX is either A or B, randomly selected

If I were feeling generous I would chalk up her statement to a feeble grasp of the English language. But alas I'm not.

X is not randomly selected. It is the N's best estimate as to whether sample is A or sample is B. What a bit of odd logic she's put out there.

A or B NEVER become X. Either A is selected or B is selected. This isn't even a semantic argument. Her understanding with just this one sentence is a foundational flaw.

·
Registered
9,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/20900514

Oh, I didn't realise it was her. Teresa was the subject of much mocking on another forum I've posted on for such stupidity and many, many more similar posts, especially around TT's.

To quote Bugs, "What a maroon".

·
Registered
861 Posts
I gotta say AJ, you finally came thru with one of your 'pic' posts, I'd say that's the best I have ever seen!

So what does anyone reckon the odds are for getting a 'right of reply' article? There is always the putting of one side (no matter how poor) with no counter balancing viewpoint.

Do they have a letters to the editor department where such a request can be made?

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Yes. I think the head honcho is David Robinson, but don't confuse him with this hall of famer.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.