AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know the answer to this but i need confirmation -My room and the Warden dictates a smaller size sub - I can get my Magnolia's floor model Abyss with full warranty for $599.00 (condition is 8.5/10) or would I be alot better off with the Epik Vanquish for 699.00. I did go ahead and bring the Abyss home and have been impressed with the home theater performance; Thanks for help!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Your asking this question makes me think you are not happy with the Abyss. Based on the specs I would assume both are excellent small subwoofers. One thing is for sure, there is not going to be a huge difference between them. Personally id keep the Martin Logan and when its within a few days of the return date then decide what to do.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Martin Logan's Design Series Subwoofers (Abyss, Dynamo, Dynamo 500) do not compare to their ESL Series Subwoofers (Descent, Depth, Grotto).

The ESL Series are servo controlled and utilize state of the art cabinet construction . The Design Series, while not bad, somewhat trade on the high performance reputation of the ESL Series. The Dynamo, Abyss are fairly conventional designs. I do like the fact they are sealed enclosures. However, the replacement for the Dyanmo, the Dynamo 500 utilizes dual ports. I do like the fact that the Abyss can be configured to be either down or front firing. Certainly helps in configurability.

At the price range you are looking, you could probably find a used Grotto which is an excellent sub. If you were insanely lucky, perhaps a used Depth for around 700 Dollars. The Depth uses 3 8" woofers in a sealed cabinet with servo control. Truly a wonderful subwoofer: http://www.stereophile.com/subwoofers/804ml/

Epik makes awesome subwoofers as well. Moreover, if you are only going to buy one or the other, I would get the Epik over the Abyss. The Vanquish has a much more powerful amplifier (600 vs 300), much more heavily braced cabinet (75 lbs vs 40 lbs), and lower extension. Truly, there is no fair comparison between the two.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the replies- I have been extremely impressed with the Abyss so far....I auditioned a Klipsch XW-500D and was very dissapointed with its performance. When I put the Abyss on the floor and played Iron Man, I experienced bass like I've never had before....it was very tight, accurate and not at all boomy- I could actually feel it in some scenes; I have Axioms in the basement with an EP-350 handling the bass and the Abyss helped me realize how bad (boomy) the EP-350 sounds. In fact I ordered a SubDude this morning (I hope it works). If the Vanquish could at least match what I am getting with the Abyss I would spend the extra money and get it....the Abyss is a 2 year old floor model and has a couple of very small nicks in the cabinet (I'm picky). I have questions that will hep me decide what to do:

1. Will the Vanquish deliver what I am getting with the Abyss (Abyss is currently down-firing)

2. I have the Abyss set-up in a down-firing configuration on a carpeted floor...is it possible that down-firing is superior to front firing in my particular setup (In the exact same spot, the front firing 10" 500w Klipsch XW-500D was less than impressive)

3. Are sealed subs traditionally more accurate and less boomy than ported.

Thanks much!!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
You can buy a brand new Abyss from Amazon or Onecall for not much more than that demo you are looking at.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
My personal opinion would be to save up a little more and get this

The increase in overall performance will be two fold. It won't be close at all in terms of HT performance, where output and low distortion are very important factors. As to the musicality of the sub, would mandate a demo, or first hand user reviews, since it is a much more subjective aspect.

I can guess what you are probably thinking, you have a budget you would like to stick with, and feel the Abyss is more than enough? I mean, how could it possibly get better, or that much better to warrant a $300.00 increase in your budget? All I can say is that is experience rules all, and you have to take into account the numerous individuals in this forum who have more knowledge than you and I combined, who "promote" these types of subs over the typical, readily available brands from B&M's. They actually know what they are talking about, go figure.

I can guarantee you that you will be beyond satisfied, and more along the lines of thrilled.

This is coming from someone who owned dual Supercube II's. It isn't that I dismissed everything I read here, but was of the mindset that the improvement that many "advertised" here, couldn't of possibly of been that substantial to warrant the complete dismissal of the subs many know and recognize.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Fanaticalism for your thoughts....I would love to have a Dragon but I need a compact sub for this application. What are your thoughts on the down-firing vs front firing on a carpeted floor. The Abyss mopped the floor with the Klipsch XW-500D which has me wondering if down-firing is better in my room.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DoubleA- which Epik do you have? My concern was the improvement by going to a down-firing vs front firing sub in my living room (Abyss vs Klipsch).

Again the Abyss was a major improvement over the front firing Klipsch XW-500D.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Just got back from a 7 hour round trip to the San Jose Fry's from Fresno where we live. (That is the closest Fry's to me) I bought 2 Abyss subs. Out the door with tax for less than the retail list price for 1. Thanks to Dark-007 for the heads up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts