AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of mounting a pair of Definitive Technology BPVX/P bipolar powered surrounds. I want to put an AC outlet below each speaker on the wall for them to plug into. What would be the best way to shield my speaker wire from the AC line? I currently plan to run the speaker cable inside the walls. I plan to route the speaker cable down through the wall into the basement and back up the wall in the front of the room to a speaker jack plate on the wall. Should I run the AC line in conduit to help shield it from the speaker wire? I could run the AC through the unfinished attic above after tapping into one of the wall outlets in the room. Do I need to drill through each joist and if so at what height? Could I run 2 x 2 across the top of the joists and run my cable between that? I don't want to violate any codes for running AC. If both the AC and the speaker cable eventually meet back up at the speaker; how do I best isolate them from each other?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I could swear I answered something like this already, but here goes:

The speaker-level signal has high-enough current for no audible noise to be generated. Just don't bundle the two (power and speaker) wires together. My main speakers have two speaker wires (bi-wired), AC (amp), a shielded RCA cable (line-level for sub). No conduit, and no noise.

Attic wiring may be laid over joists where it is not subject to damage, as long as it is more than six feet from the attic opening/stairs. If there's a concern, run it between the joists towards the eaves, where it's too short to walk, cross the necessary joists, and then back between the new joists.

Under-floor wiring is also okay, and again, you don't have to hide the speaker wires from the power wires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.