AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asking around for support of my ECS mobo just to see if I really needed a new 5.1 compatible sound card. Here's what I got from tech support:

"Hello,

The onboard Audio is AC97 v2.2 compliant, this means it supports SPDIF or 5.1 system."

Does this mean I've got 5.1 already, or that I need to use SPDIF? I guess the software that comes with it does't really tell me. Does this mean I can pass through DD or DTS without a seperate card?

Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Curious.. do I ask stupid questions? Or is this stuff covered in a FAQ that I don't know about?

The main concept I am having problems with is software/hardware combos. If I use PowerDVD passing through my onboard sound using a "headphone" to RCA adaptor into my receiver, will I get dolby (any type?)

What if I use the SPDIF connection (24bit acording to the mobo manual).

Just wondering if there is somewhere I can go to find out how the signal passes from the DVD to the speakers (and everywhere inbetween), with different options (basic earphone plug vs. spdif) etc.. etc.. you know, the stuff I'm sure 60% of the other lurkers here would want to know. :)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Quote:
Does this mean I've got 5.1 already, or that I need to use SPDIF?
My mobo (ASUS P4T533-C) also uses Advance AC97 sound. You can get 5.1 digital over the S/PDIF (coax or optical Toslink) or analog via the (3) 3.5mm stereo jacks (the inputs jacks get re-configured to output jacks when configured for 5.1 analog)

Quote:
Does this mean I can pass through DD or DTS without a seperate card?
Yes. (but you may encounter A/V sync issues depending on the OS and filters you use) (The XP WDM driver bug)

Dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh.. thanks!

Now my question is this... What software do you use to configure 5.1 sound? I didn't find it anywhere in the c-media configuration. And how do we know what each of the three plugs does after it's configured?

And do I need to use the digital out on the DVDrom, or will the analog cable work? (if dig, then I do need the spdif bracket, which doesn't exist )

I appreciate the response!

I probably won't need this right away as I will be going into an older kenwood receiver with only dolby pro-logic (which I assume I won't need the above to do anyhow, since it's just R&L inputs). But, when my new receiver comes it, this is good info to have!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Quote:
What software do you use to configure 5.1 sound? I didn't find it anywhere in the c-media configuration.
I use the 'Audio manager' app that lives in the sys tray. My mobo impliments AC97 via an intel/Avance chipset not C-Media so YMMV.

Quote:
And how do we know what each of the three plugs does after it's configured?
There is a nice little picture with captions under them that changes. Again YM(must?)V.

Quote:
And do I need to use the digital out on the DVDrom, or will the analog cable work? (if dig, then I do need the spdif bracket, which doesn't exist )
Kinda confused by your question. All DVD data (both video and audio) goes as digital data over the IDE cable. DVD's don't use either the analog or digital connector on the ROM drive for audio. It needs to be decoded first. Now if you're talking the sound card, I can't vouch for the 5.1 analog as I only use the S/PDIF to an external 5.1 receiver but I belive it should work fine.

Dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, the IDE cable thing makes sense. I wondered why you needed to hook it up. I assume it is for when you're playing music CDs.

I hopefully will be able to go from here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.