AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few years I was using a NEC LT280 (1024x768) as a theater projector. I had no complaints (I got it new for $0) but also nothing good to say about it. I recently upgraded to a Epson 705HD, and then swiftly returned it because the black levels were terrible and I could not adjust the colors when connected via HDMI. I never noticed a convergence problem with either of these units, then again I was not looking for one either.

I ordered a Epson Home Cinema 1080 refurb. I had it out of the box for about 5 minutes before I noticed the red LCD was definitely off alignment, anything white on a black background had a visible red border around the lower left edge. A quick convergence check revealed:

As you can see, I have some fine looking 3 colored lines there instead of white lines

The problem was not chromatic aberration or anything like that. I called Epson, they sent me a replacement Home Cinema 1080 overnight.

I have my replacement projector installed now, convergence is much better however the blue LCD is exactly one pixel lower (vertical) than it should be.

I can't see problem when playing games or watching Blu Rays, however when using the projector for web surfing or looking at some menus it can be odd.

At this point should I be happy with the blue LCD being one pixel off, or should I try another projector and play Epson replacement roulette?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMN /forum/post/19588053

WOW - that's bad!!!!!!!!!! I would NOT be happy with that at all!

That pic is from the first Home Cinema 1080 I had. That unit is already headed back to Epson. The new replacement HC 1080 is just one pixel off on the blue (across the entire screen). I would like one that is

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris /forum/post/19588229

That pic is from the first Home Cinema 1080 I had. That unit is already headed back to Epson. The new replacement HC 1080 is just one pixel off on the blue (across the entire screen). I would like one that is

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb /forum/post/19588327

Totally up to you and what you can live with...I'd return it as there no limit on the number of returns...maybe somebody over there will get the pic that you're not willing to put up with it and QC it before they send it to you so you don't bankrupt the company with UPSairbills : )

I will put the new pic up later, I sent the wrong pic to my work email this morning or it would be up right already. Sorry.

I asked for a QC checked unit with this replacement, however the rep told me that since I was within 30 days he was just going to mail my replacement directly from www.epsonstore.com stock and he did not have any control over what unit I was sent. Nice guy though, I was pretty excited that they were able to overnight a replacement unit to me without a problem.

I don't have a lot of experience with 3LCD 1080P projectors, though I am aware they can potentially have convergence issues. If ~1 pixel deviation is considered "normal" for a unit like mine, I will not bother swapping projectors until I get one that might be better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts