AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. I have several problems. I'm trying to build a htpc primarily to record ota hdtv. I have a pIII 800 cpu, 128 mb memory, a voodoo5 pci video card, an accessdtv card, and a key digital vga transcoder card and a mitsubishi hd rptv.

1: The only tv picture I can get currently is using the YPBPr output of the accessdtv card at 480p not 1080i. Cliff Watson told me that this was a timing issue that the engineers were working on and to try it with rgb out and a vga transcoder.

2: got the key digital vga transcoder. The only way I could get a picture of the windows desktop to my tv with this device was by uninstalling the drivers for my voodoo5 card and using standard widows vga drivers. This was despite setting the video card drivers to 640x480 and 60 mhz refresh. Any ideas why? Is it possible to get higher resolutions using the key digital transcoder?

3: Once that was done I was unable to get any tv picture from my accessdtv card to my tv either with or without a loop back cable with the key digital transcoder in place. I played with the dipswitches for positive and negative sync, etc. but to no avail. Is this something that the powerstrip program might help me with?

4: Anybody have experience using this card with the mitusbishi rptvs?

5: Could I expect anything different with a Hipix card or the audio authority vga-component transcoder?

Sorry for the length but I'm getting frustrated.

Brian

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Hi Brian,

Doesn't your Mits TV have RGB input?

Kei Clark

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Brian,

I have the accessDTV working with my Mits 55807. The accessDTV is outputting RGB 1080i, running through an Audio Authority transcoder. I went with this one because there are no dispswitches to mess with when changing resolutions. So it is possible to get working, although it could be that your problems stem from the fact that you have the Key Digital transcoder as opposed to the AA. But at least that gives you something to go on.

Quote:
Doesn't your Mits TV have RGB input?

I supsect that Brian, like myself and many other Mits owners, wants to use Component video so that he can fix the massive red-push Mits has cursed us with by using an external attenuator. (Search the HomeTheater Sport for 'red push attenuator' if you want more info on this).

Jeff

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kei

No RGB just component. And only one component input that can handle 1080i. The other component inputs are good for 480p. No 720p. Any progress on the fix for component out 1080i from the Accessdtv?

JKohn,

You've had success with the Audio Authority transcoder? I've got one on order. The key digital was easier to get. Maybe there's a reason.

Brian

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Brian,

As I mentioned, the AA transcoder is indeed working with my 55807. Howerver, when you say you don't have an RGB input, that makes me think you have an older set, such as an xxx03 model? If so, it may be possible that is part of your problem, as it was my understanding that some of the older sets had problems with newer STB's. You might want to ask about this over on ***************, since that's where the Mits experts hang out.

Jeff

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff,

No I have the 2001 WT-46807.

No RGB just YPrPb inputs. I didn't think any of the new mits models had rgb. I have a mits hd5 hdtv stb.

Can you describe your hook-up? Do you use the loop back cable with the accessdtv? Do you get the windows desktop on your tv and at what resolution?

The *************** is great for mits tv info, but not much on htpc. This problem seems more like an htpc issue.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Quote:
This problem seems more like an htpc issue.
Have you tried hooking up the HTPC with the loop-back cable to a PC Monitor?

Kei Clark

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bmel:
No I have the 2001 WT-46807.

No RGB just YPrPb inputs. I didn't think any of the new mits models had rgb. I have a mits hd5 hdtv stb.
Brian,

The 2001 sets can indeed accept an RGB input, unless the 46807 is different from all the other models. Look at the DTV input on the back and you should see there are actually 5 RCA connectors, not 3. However, as I mentioned, you have to put up with the red-push if you use RGB.

Quote:
Can you describe your hook-up? Do you use the loop back cable with the accessdtv? Do you get the windows desktop on your tv and at what resolution?
I have a Radeon vidcard, plugged into the accessDTV using the passhthrough/loopback cable. The accessDTV is configured to output a 1080i RGB signal. I have a VGA cable going from the accessDTV to the transcoder, and then a component cable going from there to the TV's DTV input. Everything's working fine, although the passthrough does slightly degrade the quality of the windows desktop.

Another thing to double-check, is that you've set the correct mode for the DTV input in the on-screen menu, it can be set to either RGB or Component, although if you set it wrong you should still get a signal, just with screwed up color.

Jeff

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff,

You are quite right. My confusion lies in thinking of an rgb input that would look like a vga cable input. The 46807 does have the 5 plugs. I currently have it configured for use as a component input because that's what my mits hdtv stb outputs. I don't want to switch back and forth thru the setup menu on the tv when swithching inputs between the stb and the htpc.

I tried the setup like yours: rgb out at 1080i from the accessdtv card to the key digital transcoder (tried various configurations of the dip switches) then component cables the the tv with the tv set up to get component in from the dtv inputs. Should the tv be set of rgb input? I thought the transcoder changed rgb out to YPrPb component.

I sense that I'm missing some important piece of information.

Brian

[This message has been edited by bmel (edited 05-07-2001).]

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kei Clark:
Have you tried hooking up the HTPC with the loop-back cable to a PC Monitor?

Kei Clark
Yes that seems to work. I can also get 480p without the loop back to work on the tv without using the transcoder. Nothing else works.

Brian

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Brian,

It sounds like you did it right; the TV should be set to Component, since that's the purpose of the transcoder. If this setup doens't work for you, maybe it is indeed a problem the Key Digital transcoder. If you have the AA transcoder on order, maybe it will solve your problem.

Jeff

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm making progress.

I can view 1080i oupput of accessdtv in rgb with a vga to 5-bnc cable hooked to the 5 rgb inputs of the tv and the tv set to rgb. But this is not suitable because I need to use component inputs.

I can view the accessdtv 480p YPbPr output on my tv via component inputs without the loop back cable. Can't view 1080i this way becasue of the previously mentioned timing issue that accessdtv engineers are working on. Also, I would like to view the desktop on my tv.

I can view the desktop and video window in 480p with the loop back cable on the tv and the key digital transcoder but I lose the picture when I go to full screen display in either 480p or 1080i. This seems like it must be an issue between the accessdtv card and the keydigital transcoder. I will try kd support. The audio authority transcoder has been shipped, I'll try that soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

Audio Authority transcoder allows the accessDTV card to work as advertised. Key Digital is working on the problem.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi Brian,

FWIW Wayne Harrelson (Karnis) tested the RCA VHDC 300, Audio Authority 9A60, and Key Digital (KD-VTC1 manual switch) and prefers KD. He had a defective unit (described in his 01-17-2001 12:27 PM post) so maybe that's a possibility. Here's the thread:

Transcoders: Key Digital #KD-VTC1 vs. Audio Authority #9A60 vs. RCA #VHDC300?

To save you some trouble in the above, the link to which xcel refers is VHDC300 vs. 9A60 , now archived (however, info is superceded).