AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help a newbie of hdtvtompeg2?

I have had an AccessDTV for about 2 years to record all the CSI episodes(missing 2) and I have finally purchase a JVC DVHS. Well, I want to move all the episodes I have to DVHS tapes. I tried using the default setting and selected all the files and it just strung all the pieces together out of order. Plus it was choppy. What are the steps to get things working right?

Should I transfer the files 1 by 1 (thus keeping the same size)?

How do I rename the files so the play in order?

Thanks very much in advance.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If you're running 98SE then the files SHOULD be named in ascending numerical order. It might not appear so on first glance but if you look closely you should find some gobledy **** naming like:

45fbc-ac34567-fc59bc.....adtv

45fbc-ad34567-fc59bc.....adtv

45fbc-ae34567-fc59bc.....adtv

if they are like this then you should be able to sort on the name before importing into HDTV2MPEG2 (note the C,D,E progression)

If your using another OS I understand the naming is more random (they are always in ascending numerical order on my system but I've heard that they aren't for everybody)

If they are random or you're using a different OS, you can sort by date created rather then date modified. There is a renaming utility called ADTVtoHipix on the AccessDTV Yahoo group that helps with this problem.

Also note that only the first and then every 18th adtv file begins on a valid sync boundry. This might cause some problems for DVHS but I'm not sure as I don't have DVHS. I recommend reading some of the threads in the AccessDTV yahoo group for more info and utilities to help with this problem.

Itech has dropped the 'encryption' in the last couple of releases but if you have files recorded from prior to 2.4? they are probably 'encrypted'. HDTV2MPEG2 should correct these bogus sync bytes. They also claim they will be addressing this goofy naming crap, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Dave

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you help, Dave. Got it from the Yahoo newgroup.

I have yet to try the transfer again (going to defrag my machine), but the playback was choppy on my Hipix (seems like 15 Frames per second with sound jumping too). I don't know if I installed the AVSforum version wrong (ran setup plus the dll fix) or my comp is not good enough for HDTV2MPEG2.

Recorded on Computer:

P4 1.7

768MB RDRAM

IBM 80GB 7200rpm Harddrive

AccessDTV

Windows Me (FAT32)

Tranfered to computer:

P4 1.6

256MB RDRAM

Western Digital 60GB 7200rpm Harddrive

Hipix

Windows XP Pro SP1 (NTFS)